Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

I adore my K701s. Adore. They are open backed though, so you get sound leaking both ways so depending on how you plan to listen they may not be a good thing. I haven't listened to them amped, but they work fine with my computers, Beosound 6, and old Luxman stereo. My single complaint about them would be the little bumps on the underside of the headband can get uncomfortable in certain positions after a couple hours.

I think you may have made my decision easier, my biggest worry was how the K701s sounded unamped!

One more word of caution if you care, they are huge and you will look like a dork wearing them, no way around it.

I need a bluetooth 3.0 iPod dock adapter.

Why? Aren't they only USB 2.0 anyway?

mommy will not let me play with shiny new tv >:

Why?

Quick question: Are there any other decent large capacity MP3 players I should look at other than Ipod classics? I just need a big harddrive, fancy video multimedia stuff is not necessary. I'm neither an apple snobfanboy or an apple hater (when I got my ipod (original 160gb classic) there were no alternatives in mp3 players at that capacity). My ipod's fried.

edit: meh, I took a quick look ON THE INTERNET *dun dun dunnn* and it looks like there's still nothing to compete with apple for capacity outside of huge PMPs. An 80 gig zune wouldn't fit my music collection, so, another ipod it is!

Seriously? 80 gigs won't hold all of your music?

You'd be surprised how many people have gigs of music just sitting on their hard disk, and want to carry all of it with them. I'm shocked I don't have more music on my machine. At most I have 5 CD's worth. The rest are podcasts. I pretty much stream my music from online services. :)

I have a 20 gig iRiver and I have almost 10 gig free.

What podcasts do you listen to? I need some new ones.

Why? Aren't they only USB 2.0 anyway?

Because I want to stream lossless music from my BT3.o equipped phone to my car stereo, which has an iPod dock. I'm using a BT2.1 adapter now, but the compression become very noticeable at higher volumes, and I dun like it.

How good is Dropbox? I want to use it to move save games from a computer to another

Works fine for me, though uploads seem to be slow. This of course could have been the fault of my connection, but with something like save games it shouldn't really be an issue.

I consider myself very picky when it comes to music, and my MP3 folder is currently at 165GB
Why you would need all of that on one device with you at all times, is something else though... it takes me a forever to listen to my 8 GB MP3 player... longer than the battery's capacity (IIR 50something hours), so I need to connect it to the computer anyway to charge it, so I just switch music at that time

I have a 20 gig iRiver and I have almost 10 gig free.

What podcasts do you listen to? I need some new ones.

I listen to the following:

Tech:
Android Central Podcast: I'm a big phone nerd + I use an Android phone.

Buzz Out Loud: I kinda fell off the bandwagon on this one. I loved the unique mix of humor and tech news the original hosts had, but now that two of the three left for TWiT, they've changed the format of it..I need to catch up on it tbh.

CrackBerry.com Podcast: I mostly listen to this for news about the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet.

Dialed In: A general cell phone podcast, it's pretty good stuff.

Engadget Podcast: One of the best general tech podcasts around...very funny as well.

Engadget Mobile Podcast: Pretty much the same as the regular Engadget Podcast, but strictly about cell phones, with two Mobile specific hosts.

MacBreak Weekly: It's weird that I listen to this, because I don't own any Apple products, but I've always been able to use Mac OS well, so I listen for that and other news

The 404: Hmm how best to describe this one...it's kinda a tech/pop culture mashup with very funny stuff and guests.

This Week in Tech: I like this podcast because it has a "roundtable" like feel to it and people aren't afraid to say what they think about serious tech issues, or the fun stuff either

Windows Weekly: Very good podcast about many Microsoft topics, not just Windows

Automotive:

Autoblog: I know they seem to be loved or hated, but the podcast is great. The hosts know what they're talking about, always have fun doing it, and are opinionated and not afraid to call something that's crap, crap.

Do you happen to know any other car podcasts that are like Autoblog? I know there's probably plenty of niche/offbeat stuff but idk..

There's a few more podcast feed i have in the RSS reader, but I don't listen to those anymore...should prob delete them :)

Anything under a terabyte generally won't get you too far when it come to music.

Another vote for The404 Podcast!

I used to listen to a bunch of podcasts but gave up on most of them. For instance I used to watch Buzz Out Loud, but I kind of got sick of their opinionated garbage, and they seem to concern themselves mostly with the political side of tech compared to actual tech. Net neutrality this, net neutrality that... come on.

The404 is amazing though, they just kind of shoot the shit every morning. They don't take themselves too seriously and that's what I like about them. It's just a bunch of guys my age making fun of each other most of the time.

Another vote for The404 Podcast!

I used to listen to a bunch of podcasts but gave up on most of them. For instance I used to watch Buzz Out Loud, but I kind of got sick of their opinionated garbage, and they seem to concern themselves mostly with the political side of tech compared to actual tech. Net neutrality this, net neutrality that... come on.

The404 is amazing though, they just kind of shoot the shit every morning. They don't take themselves too seriously and that's what I like about them. It's just a bunch of guys my age making fun of each other most of the time.

EDIT: Just found this:

Haha, I actually miss that older BOL style..yes they talked about more of the political side of tech, but I actually think that's pretty important, and they did later on balance it out again. It's really gone downhill with Tom and Jason leaving though, Benito does a good job holding down the podcast producer fort, but doesn't interact with Molly Wood and Brian Tong nearly as much as Jason, (who pretty much became the third host) and when he does, he seems really nervous about it. I've tried to get used to the "new" format but it just isn't happening...I'll give it a go again though.

The 404 though, is consistently awesome, no faults there for me.

EDIT: just found this:

:| Oh dear....

Last edited:
Yeah, I dunno what the deal is with everyone defecting to TWiT lately. Apparently Leo made the same offer to Molly and Tom and Molly decided to stay with CNET... can't say I blame her, working for a giant media conglomerate versus working out of a bungalow in the suburbs. If I ever do tune into BOL these days it's to see Molly, I have a bit of an unexplainable crush on her I have to admit.

Oh, one other podcast I still listen to if I have time is The Daily Giz Wiz which broadcasts on TWiT. I'm not Leo Laporte's biggest fan, but he isn't the main host and the podcasts are short and sweet. They cover some old and/or bizarre things... oh, and the daily themes they have are the best, make The404's seem kind of lame almost.

So yeah, as you can tell I like more laid back, just for the heck of it podcasts as opposed to delivering a dose of serious news on such and such topic podcasts.

Yeah, I dunno what the deal is with everyone defecting to TWiT lately. Apparently Leo made the same offer to Molly and Tom and Molly decided to stay with CNET... can't say I blame her, working for a giant media conglomerate versus working out of a bungalow in the suburbs. If I ever do tune into BOL these days it's to see Molly, I have a bit of an unexplainable crush on her I have to admit.

Yeah, I can't blame her either, and Molly's definitely the glue that holds what's left of the show together, the rant's are awesome, plus she's apparently a fellow Top Gear watcher which is a plus in my book! :)

I'll have to try Daily Giz Wiz, sounds like a lot of fun!

Oh yeah, totally forgot about her liking Top Gear. I guess it's not an unexplainable attraction I have to her... a tall blond who is into cars and Top Gear, and technology to boot. And I like her nerd voice/laugh, so awesome!

She actually does car review videos sometimes when Brian Cooley of Car Tech is busy elsewhere. Car Tech Live is actually another podcast I used to listen to sometimes when I had loads of free time... but it's kind of boring, can't really say I recommend it (unless you have loads of free time, that is).

I listen to the following:

Tech:
Android Central Podcast: I'm a big phone nerd + I use an Android phone.

Buzz Out Loud: I kinda fell off the bandwagon on this one. I loved the unique mix of humor and tech news the original hosts had, but now that two of the three left for TWiT, they've changed the format of it..I need to catch up on it tbh.

CrackBerry.com Podcast: I mostly listen to this for news about the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet.

Dialed In: A general cell phone podcast, it's pretty good stuff.

Engadget Podcast: One of the best general tech podcasts around...very funny as well.

Engadget Mobile Podcast: Pretty much the same as the regular Engadget Podcast, but strictly about cell phones, with two Mobile specific hosts.

MacBreak Weekly: It's weird that I listen to this, because I don't own any Apple products, but I've always been able to use Mac OS well, so I listen for that and other news

The 404: Hmm how best to describe this one...it's kinda a tech/pop culture mashup with very funny stuff and guests.

This Week in Tech: I like this podcast because it has a "roundtable" like feel to it and people aren't afraid to say what they think about serious tech issues, or the fun stuff either

Windows Weekly: Very good podcast about many Microsoft topics, not just Windows

Automotive:

Autoblog: I know they seem to be loved or hated, but the podcast is great. The hosts know what they're talking about, always have fun doing it, and are opinionated and not afraid to call something that's crap, crap.

Do you happen to know any other car podcasts that are like Autoblog? I know there's probably plenty of niche/offbeat stuff but idk..

There's a few more podcast feed i have in the RSS reader, but I don't listen to those anymore...should prob delete them :)

Wow, that is quite a list. I currently listen to a few of the TWIT networks podcast and have recently started listening to a few of the The Incomparable episodes.