The "New Toys" Thread

Ah, I see :D

But he's got a point my laptop is now (XP & SSD) ALOT quicker than orginally (Vista & 5400rpm) :lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:
Sounds to me like you hay want a Popcorn Hour. Or at least one of those little HD media streamers.

I've already suggested a WD TV Live (which costs 1/3 of a PCH). That way he'd be able to stream stuff from a NAS via wifi and have a short hdmi cable to get rid of the noise.

Plenty of suggestions flying around, just have to find the best/easiest one.

My dad helped me get my TV mounted today:

https://pic.armedcats.net/v/vi/viper007bond/2010/12/03/202583141.jpg

I also dragged my PS3 into my home office to use it as a test of the cable. There's a fair bit of noise (scattered white pixels randomly over the screen), but it's not really noticeable with video going (as opposed to a black loading screen). I also have like 20 feet of it coiled up right next to my computer which could be contributing to it.

So yeah, it kinda sucks, but it's good enough for watching some video off my TV and I bet I could lessen the noise a bit with some work. Still disappointing though. I may give HDMI over Cat6 a go.

This is why a popcornhour (or similar) is worth buying, not the silly PC-->TV setups where the PC is FAAAAAAAAAR away from the TV.

*edit* TV seems awfully high up?

I was going to say that too, seems pretty high. I guess you don't have much choice though, with the stupid electric "fireplace".

You guys know that the "Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk" is a signature Tapatalk makes right? :D

oh my god, I just tune those out, I didn't even see that goofing around until I read your post. Buncha goofs. :lmao:

This is why a popcornhour (or similar) is worth buying, not the silly PC-->TV setups where the PC is FAAAAAAAAAR away from the TV.

Can't play video games off a little box. ;)

If I want to watch video files, my TV can do it on it's own. I can stick a MKV on a thumb drive (or maybe over the LAN?) and play it on my TV. Not sure if it'll do 1080p MKV's or not though, we'll see.

*edit* TV seems awfully high up?

Agreed. That lower black square, whatever the hell that is, seems much better.

It's a perfect height. The top of the TV is 6 feet off the floor. The top of the fireplace is at my waist. Plus I can tilt it 15 degrees or so in any direction (up/down/left/right).

Should've bought a table and placed that in front of the fireplace (and don't use it obviously), so the TV completely obscures it.

Here some pics of the ROUGH build, the completed build is still a month out.

DSC07814.jpg

DSC07815.jpg

DSC07816.jpg

Should've bought a table and placed that in front of the fireplace (and don't use it obviously), so the TV completely obscures it.

Why? It'd be much too low.

I also dragged my PS3 into my home office to use it as a test of the cable. There's a fair bit of noise (scattered white pixels randomly over the screen), but it's not really noticeable with video going (as opposed to a black loading screen). I also have like 20 feet of it coiled up right next to my computer which could be contributing to it.

So yeah, it kinda sucks, but it's good enough for watching some video off my TV and I bet I could lessen the noise a bit with some work. Still disappointing though. I may give HDMI over Cat6 a go.

I just hooked up my 360 to the end of the cable and from what I can tell there's no noise! So I guess my PS3 just sends out a weaker signal. ^_^

The true test (and actual intended use) will be when I hook my PC up to it, but I need the female/female HDMI adapter to arrive first so I can hook up a micro/standard HDMI cable to the end of it.

I cancelled first two since the shipping date slipped to God knows when.

Then why didn't you just pray for a delivery date?