The Android thread

Wow, video now!
Ill grab one when I get home. At work right now, and it's hard to do shit like that when my supervisor is right next to me. :p

I hope they didn't do like 2.2 where they rolled out different updates at different dates between all the version of the phone.
Considering I have the "newer" N1, with the LED screen, I don't think they are.

No but what I meant was more that the T-Mobile version was updated before the AT&T one if I remember correctly :)

^Yeah, I had to wait a few weeks for my version to be made available.

Well, that's AT&T for ya. Even though it was meant to be a completely unhindered phone, they still had to get their claws in somewhere.

No they didn't, there was nothing AT&T specific about the phone other than the radio. It was still an unmolested Android, just late to the party.

Well, my lowly Hero saw Froyo through Cyanogen, though it didn't work out well in the end. Wonder if I'll ever see Gingerbread on this phone :hmm:

I doubt I'll ever see it on my Galaxy S.

Unless XDA pulls some epic hax.

Cyanogenmod has just released 6.1 stable - basically, very polished Froyo with a handful of nice features. Just in time to start work on CM 7.0, based on Gingerbread... I guess we'll see how this works out.

And the poor Motorola Droid...I wouldn't be surprised if it's left out in the cold :p J/K, I'll prob run a custom ROM anyway *shrugs*

I doubt I'll ever see it on my Galaxy S.

Unless XDA pulls some epic hax.

Yeah, the i9000 sees continued progress, but the SGH phones seem to somehow be more problematic.

Considering the Nexus S is based on the Galaxy S... May have it before the N1 even has it.

I hadn't even thought of that. I hope you're right.

I feel your pain.

At this rate, I may be paying out of my ass to switch to a Tegra 2-based phone next year sometime.

Considering the Nexus S is based on the Galaxy S... May have it before the N1 even has it.

I could see that.

Maybe.

Hopefully.

At this rate, I may be paying out of my ass to switch to a Tegra 2-based phone next year sometime.

Same here, or I might even just switch back to the N1. I do quite like the Captivate, but I miss CM more every day.

EDIT: Do any of you know if a phone has to have a sim card in it to connect to the internet? the N1 can't connect to anything on the web despite being connected to wifi.

Last edited:
Same here, or I might even just switch back to the N1. I do quite like the Captivate, but I miss CM more every day.

EDIT: Do any of you know if a phone has to have a sim card in it to connect to the internet? the N1 can't connect to anything on the web despite being connected to wifi.

It's not so much the custom firmware. I love TeamWhiskey and the work they've done for the Vibrant, and the ROM I'm running is slick and awesome.

My G1 browses the interwebs just fine lacking a MicroSD and a SIM.

Last edited:
Finding a couple of bugs with my DHD now. The FM radio app I've been using seems quite buggy, it's crashed and rebooted the phone by itself two days in a row while I was either exiting the app or switching to another app while it was running. Either it takes a very long time to close down or as I've read somewhere else it's sucking up so much power that trying to run other apps just kills it.

Also when the phone has rebooted the music playback is at x3 or x4 speed with no sound, requiring another reboot. I'll just have to keep my sticky fingers off it while the radio's playing and get a radio headset in the near future.