Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

$3.05 per gallon here...that's regular. I run premium at 3.25 per gallon.

NPR just reported that the price for a barrel of oil is going up because of higher demand from China. I hate futures trading.

Random thoughts and sightings of the day:

- I saw a black Jaguar X-type. The license plate said "Baby Jag". At least he is not pretending that it is a real Jag :)
- I saw a white Ford van (E350 maybe?) with a company name on the side. The name was "Anything 4 2 daughters". Erm...that one was quite awkward :lol:

- As a result of the local government's over-eagerness with the salt, all cars on the road look like shit, mine including.

That one has only one engine. :p

It's about $3.20 to $3.30 per gallon here in SoCal right now... haven't converted that to litres but overall seems cheaper than back in Vancouver.

But this is a bit foreign to me, having a bit of a difference in price from station to station. Back home most stations, other than maybe the few discount ones, usually had the same prices on any give day. Here it seems to differ noticeably from one brand station to another or even from one location to another.

It's about $3.20 to $3.30 per gallon here in SoCal right now... haven't converted that to litres but overall seems cheaper than back in Vancouver.

But this is a bit foreign to me, having a bit of a difference in price from station to station. Back home most stations, other than maybe the few discount ones, usually had the same prices on any give day. Here it seems to differ noticeably from one brand station to another or even from one location to another.
You're saying there are places where the gas prices actually vary? Shocking! I've never heard of such a thing.

(Please send all money saved due to this preposterous gas competition to the "Buy 2billion that Toronado Fund". We need your help, to buy me a Toronado, because it's pretty and cool and interesting.)

Last edited:
Why the sarcasm?

Yes, coming from Vancouver it's a foreign notion to me having a 76 sell gas for say $3.22/gallon and the Chevron two blocks down selling it for $3.30/gallon. Back in Vancouver they'd all have the same price at any given time, unless you went to a Husky or went all the way across town, then maybe you'd see a few cents of difference.

Similar around here, stations differ heavily. Not only between brands, but also massive regional differences.
Right now a low-cost non-branded station (think gas station at Wal-Mart) is 1.439?/l, a low-cost branded station is 1.449?/l (Jet, Euro branch of ConocoPhillips), Aral (German brand within BP) is 1.499?/l, Shell is 1.499?/l - all within Kiel, all for 95 petrol.
For a full tank going with Shell or BP/Aral would cost 3.30? more than with the non-branded station... for essentially the same thing.

Why the sarcasm?

Yes, coming from Vancouver it's a foreign notion to me having a 76 sell gas for say $3.22/gallon and the Chevron two blocks down selling it for $3.30/gallon. Back in Vancouver they'd all have the same price at any given time, unless you went to a Husky or went all the way across town, then maybe you'd see a few cents of difference.

I'm not being sarcastic. I've genuinely never seen that before in my life. Here, you have $1.03/l at Superstore, $1.03/l at shell, $1.03/l at Kawakawakawaka Esso, $1.03/l at Fasgas, $1.03/l at Co-op. Drive to Regina and you will also see $1.03/l everywhere. The only place in the entire province I've seen depart from the provincial rule is Melville, which seems to run 4 cents/l cheaper, inexplicably, because there's really no advantage to Melville (from a gas delivery perspective. Also, in general).

Last edited:
Just bought this baby:
93937.jpg

Can't wait to see my mileage improve!

Is it so wrong to hope that the BU parking [dis]services vehicle gets hit while it's double parked in front of the student union building?

I don't think so. It'd be karma.

Too bad I didn't have a camera ready to send it into Jalopnik's "this is why people think ________ are asshats" series. They...are.

Is it so wrong to hope that the BU parking [dis]services vehicle gets hit while it's double parked in front of the student union building?

I don't think so. It'd be karma.

Too bad I didn't have a camera ready to send it into Jalopnik's "this is why people think ________ are asshats" series. They...are.

No...not at all..Ship's is the same way (except we're tiny so a officer in a Ford Edge decked out in university police stuff drives by...) and will even put a boot on your car....:|:mad:

I'm not being sarcastic. I've genuinely never seen that before in my life. Here, you have $1.03/l at Superstore, $1.03/l at shell, $1.03/l at Kawakawakawaka Esso, $1.03/l at Fasgas, $1.03/l at Co-op. Drive to Regina and you will also see $1.03/l everywhere. The only place in the entire province I've seen depart from the provincial rule is Melville, which seems to run 4 cents/l cheaper, inexplicably, because there's really no advantage to Melville (from a gas delivery perspective. Also, in general).

Interesting. Is there some kind of a regulation in place? There are only a few countries in Europe where the prices don't differ and it's always a consequence of regulation. In most European countries, the prices on motorways tend be more or less the same between all the stations, but also the highest around and just a small detour from the motorway can mean considerable savings.

Interesting. Is there some kind of a regulation in place? There are only a few countries in Europe where the prices don't differ and it's always a consequence of regulation. In most European countries, the prices on motorways tend be more or less the same between all the stations, but also the highest around and just a small detour from the motorway can mean considerable savings.

Around here, gas stations doing price arrangements is illegal. They obviously look at what each other is doing, often with similar results.

Call me crazy, but I think he's being sarcastic.