Random Thoughts... [Photographic Edition]

Anyone have any experience with the D3100?

It would have to be a fair bit better than the D3000 to be worth it. I'd say save up and get a D80 or D90 or something similar.

I dun heard that the D3100 is pretty durn good. *shrug*

New ACR update, D7000 and other cameras that probably aren't relevant to anyone on here are now supported. Also more lens profiles released.

edit: whoah, a ton more lens profiles!

Last edited:
I already have the LR 3.3 RC, I'll see if I can find out where I got it from because I can't remember now. Works great with the D7000s RAWs.

Edit: Well that wasn't actually what you asked, and the download isn't available any more it seems.

Last edited:
It would have to be a fair bit better than the D3000 to be worth it. I'd say save up and get a D80 or D90 or something similar.

My school uses d3000, and i think the quality is good but its to small and you have to go in to menus to adjust a lot of things. was considering a 550D but a friend has a 500D and that feelt really cheap and plasticy o_O. My brother has a D90 which is awesome tho ;) and i could borrow his optics, if i got a d3100... Don't really have any money so it would be a christmas gift, if i ever got one ;P thats why not a D90 or more expensive models ;)

My school uses d3000, and i think the quality is good but its to small and you have to go in to menus to adjust a lot of things. was considering a 550D but a friend has a 500D and that feelt really cheap and plasticy o_O. My brother has a D90 which is awesome tho ;) and i could borrow his optics, if i got a d3100... Don't really have any money so it would be a christmas gift, if i ever got one ;P thats why not a D90 or more expensive models ;)
If you want a Nikon and you're into old boat anchors, you can get a D1H for just 1000 NOK ($165) Or a nicely kept example of the high(er) resolution D1X for 2500 NOK ($415) These were $4150 and $5350 respectively when they were new back in 2001... The camera body itself is almost the same as the 35mm film F5 from 1996-2004.

Last edited:
I just realised that Nikon seems to have finally gotten their naming system in line. Entry level is now D3x00. The odd higher entry level is D5x00. Prosumer crop D7x00. Those three are good for 20 models each so I think that naming scheme will stick around for a long time. But then who knows what they plan on doing with the D300s and D700 successors, because if they continue like they have been doing they'll only be able to go up to D600 and D900 before they need to come up with something else (D10000 anyone? :lol:)

It's a big step up from the nonsense they've been doing prior to this. D50 -> D40 -> D60, no more names available because the D70 already existed and was in a different class. Oh, wait, we reached the last possible name with the D90 as well. Oh, and a D700 has nothing to do with any other Dx00 camera. Excellent planning!

I just realised that Nikon seems to have finally gotten their naming system in line. Entry level is now D3x00. The odd higher entry level is D5x00. Prosumer crop D7x00. Those three are good for 20 models each so I think that naming scheme will stick around for a long time. But then who knows what they plan on doing with the D300s and D700 successors, because if they continue like they have been doing they'll only be able to go up to D600 and D900 before they need to come up with something else (D10000 anyone? :lol:)

It's a big step up from the nonsense they've been doing prior to this. D50 -> D40 -> D60, no more names available because the D70 already existed and was in a different class. Oh, wait, we reached the last possible name with the D90 as well. Oh, and a D700 has nothing to do with any other Dx00 camera. Excellent planning!

This is the real reason people don't switch brands. Forget having to re-buy lenses, the real hassle is figuring out another company's convoluted naming scheme! :lol:

This is the real reason people don't switch brands. Forget having to re-buy lenses, the real hassle is figuring out another company's convoluted naming scheme! :lol:

I've never really thought about it before but that's exactly why I won't be considering Canon any time soon. I watched a mate set his 500D up and I was completely lost. I was asked to take photo for someone last week at the Eden Project with another EOS something or other and couldn't initially press the release down far enough to actually take the photo.

In other news I picked up a Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 today, which will be a Christmas present from my parents but I've obviously had to 'test' it. Compared to the old 18-55mm Nikkor I was used to with the D40 it's much more solid.

I've never really thought about it before but that's exactly why I won't be considering Canon any time soon. I watched a mate set his 500D up and I was completely lost. I was asked to take photo for someone last week at the Eden Project with another EOS something or other and couldn't initially press the release down far enough to actually take the photo.

Oh you'd love switching to Olympus /sarcasm. After two Canons, making that switch was like going from Mac to DOS. I've never had to dig into a manual the way I've had to with this one.

Oh you'd love switching to Olympus /sarcasm. After two Canons, making that switch was like going from Mac to DOS. I've never had to dig into a manual the way I've had to with this one.
lolwut? So, you, like, memorized Canon's disorganized, poorly named (sometimes UNnamed) custom function list?

In other news I picked up a Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 today, which will be a Christmas present from my parents but I've obviously had to 'test' it. Compared to the old 18-55mm Nikkor I was used to with the D40 it's much more solid.
Plus, having 2.8 throughout the range is a boon!

Last edited:
lolwut? So, you, like, memorized Canon's disorganized, poorly named (sometimes UNnamed) custom function list?

I didn't get far enough to deal with the custom functions, but things like customizing button functions, enabling certain live view modes, and figuring out which image stabilization option actually did what were all things that came naturally when using the Canon, but were completely opaque with the Olympus. I should clarify that my Canon experience was with a G2 and an A650IS (basically a rebodied G9 without RAW support), not with SLRs, if that affects anything.

I don't know if either of those cams support CHDK (or the other way around...). Whatever, if you've never played with a powershot with CHDK on it, oh boy, it's super complicated and it has a million options all in long annoying menus. Yay for hacks, boo for interfaces made by programmers.

Skaters gonna skate! (or something like that)

Yeah, it's a shit menu that hasn't really changed since it was stuck on the top lcd of film SLRs, but, except for mirror lockup all the other custom functions are pretty much set it and forget it so I don't understand your whinging.

If you want a Nikon and you're into old boat anchors, you can get a D1H for just 1000 NOK ($165) Or a nicely kept example of the high(er) resolution D1X for 2500 NOK ($415) These were $4150 and $5350 respectively when they were new back in 2001... The camera body itself is almost the same as the 35mm film F5 from 1996-2004.

Having owned and used a D1, two D1X's and a D2H, I'd say skip the D1-bodies and try to hunt down a cheap D2H. I don't know how the prices are elsewhere, but in Finland you could get a D2H for the price of a D1X, possibly even cheaper.

The most significant difference: Li-ion batteries. Even with a badly used EN-EL4 you can get hundreds of shots from a D2H and you don't have to worry about keeping the battery charged. The old NiMH batteries in the D1-series are a bit of a nightmare to live with. Even if you have a new battery, you have to take care of it or it'll die on you pretty quickly.

Other things: support for CF cards bigger than 2GB, significantly faster operation (writing files to CF etc.), better LCD screen, better ergonomics (the D1-series is ok but a bit square-ish), orientation sensor, proper support for modern flashes (SB-600 and so on) and...well, overall it's just a more modern camera. And it does 8fps ;)

Skaters gonna skate! (or something like that)

Yeah, it's a shit menu that hasn't really changed since it was stuck on the top lcd of film SLRs, but, except for mirror lockup all the other custom functions are pretty much set it and forget it so I don't understand your whinging.
Ever try to set anything on a 430EX? It's hilariously bad. It actually requires you to refer to the manual for basic things that should be indicated on the screen. Hey, Canon? The 80's called and they want their user interface back.