The "Things that annoy me" thread

When I worked the photo lab I was the only one who did machine maintenance.
I like to think it has exploded since I left. :D

having to call expensive (? 0.14 per minute) phone numbers to rectify other people's mistakes :glare:

That means you, SCHUFA, DKB and Kabel Deutschland.

My lack of confidence, tomorrow for College I have to pitch my business idea, to some local business big shots, for a theoretical shot at investment. I suck at talking to people I don't know, so I am pretty nervous.

Twats who, whilst paying no attention to anything other than their walking companion/phone convo/the white noise in their head, fucking walk DIAGONALLY on the sidewalk, bump into you, then give YOU a dirty look like *you* were the one to bump into *them*.

This happened recently to me, and (to my almost joy) it was some Like, OMG!-looking teenager. I was completely rigid in the shoulders and, when shoulder contact was made, I bodychecked her into what ended up being a 180 twirl. From behind me - I kept walking as if nothing had happened - I had a bunch of profanities hurled at me forthwith, and all I could do was grin like an idiot. Result!

Does this make me a mean person? ;)

Last edited:
No I would have done the same, though cos I'm 6'3 and 230lbs the person would probably have been knocked on their ass.

Peope who don't know how to use a knife.

Exhibit A) My flatmate used one of our kitchen knifes to pry something open and of course snapped the tip clean off. It's not like he could have asked me for a screwdriver or a sturdier knife or something...

Exhibit B) My mum uses exclusively glass chopping boards in the kitchen and is surprised by the fact that all her knives go dull in no time at all.

*snip*

On a similar note, when other fuckwit students start pouring into my lecture hall one minute before the lecture's over, and then stand in the exits, only leaving a bit of space for people to leave, I'll engage extended elbow mode as well.
Oh, look, you're being an incosiderate ass? I can do that too! :nod:

Twats who, whilst paying no attention to anything other than their walking companion/phone convo/the white noise in their head, fucking walk DIAGONALLY on the sidewalk, bump into you, then give YOU a dirty look like *you* were the one to bump into *them*.

This happened recently to me, and (to my almost joy) it was some Like, OMG!-looking teenager. I was completely rigid in the shoulders and, when shoulder contact was made, I bodychecked her into what ended up being a 180 twirl. From behind me - I kept walking as if nothing had happened - I had a bunch of profanities hurled at me forthwith, and all I could do was grin like an idiot. Result!

Makes you a Canadian eh.

My lack of confidence, tomorrow for College I have to pitch my business idea, to some local business big shots, for a theoretical shot at investment. I suck at talking to people I don't know, so I am pretty nervous.

Good Luck!!!! It's about practice and an attitude. I used to hate doing it, then I started being a trainer. I had no choice but to stand up and start talking. And it's actually a lot of fun. Just stand up straight, make eye contact, speak clearly and be ready for questions. You should know your idea inside out, so get out there and sell sell sell!

Exhibit A) My flatmate used one of our kitchen knifes to pry something open and of course snapped the tip clean off. It's not like he could have asked me for a screwdriver or a sturdier knife or something...
Rule #1 in my kitchen: DO NOT mess with my knives. I paid half a month's income for them and know how to use them... ;-) Although I have to admit to abusing one of them - the biggest, sharpest and most pointy one of course - myself, when I dropped it. I did manage to jump out of its way, which was nice considering how its point simply embedded itself into the softwood floor, leaving the knife to remain upright.

Exhibit B) My mum uses exclusively glass chopping boards in the kitchen and is surprised by the fact that all her knives go dull in no time at all.
:lmao: I don't know what to say.

Yeah. Never try and catch a falling knife. :p

I work with box cutters at work, and have for 15 years. I think I've cut myself...maybe twice, both very minor to the point where I only put on a band-aid so I couldn't accidentally get blood on merchandise.

I use this type, pretty much exclusively:
3603_xl.jpg

However, this type is no longer available to us to order with company money.

Now, my co-workers cut themselves ALL THE TIME. I've had an employee cut the tip of his finger clean off with a "safe" box cutter, which I've found to be more likely to cause injury that the ones I use.

This is the motley crew we can get ahold of:

"The Lizard"
lizard.jpg

This is useless. The blades break off all the time, sending sharpened metal shards flying, and while they are fragile enough to break, they are still soft-enough to go dull within an hour's work. Also, because that safety hood is spring-loaded, people, rather than just pulling it back with their thumb to expose the blade, will instead plunge the cutter deeper into the box than they need to because the hood obscures the view of the blade's depth, and they end up damaging product.

"The Widdow Maker"
rsg1972.jpg

This one is, in my opinion, the most dangerous. It has an auto-retracting blade for "safety" but when people use it, they press very hard on that button/slider so that the blade stays out when they are pushing in to cut, that there's tons of unneeded exerted forces and it's easy to slip and lose control of it. This is the one that cut off the tip of the guy's finger. (I take it as a point of pride, because he was breaking down a structure I built out of cardboard and packing tape. :) It's also heavy and gets hot in your pocket, which means that people don't keep it in their pockets while they work. Which means that they get left EVERYWHERE.

I actually hate them so much I spend my own money on box cutters and blades for them so I can use them.

I've also tried this style, but it's too expensive and it's flawed:
"The Terminator"
This is the relative newcommer to the game. While it's handy because it uses the bigger blades, but is smaller in size, and the blades can be changed without tools, that center hinge is a design flaw. I've had three different knives like this open up on me when that center screw pops out when it eventually unscrews. Add to that all the little extra metal bits everywhere, and it snags loose threads in your pocket liners.

Last edited:
When I worked the photo lab I was the only one who did machine maintenance.
I like to think it has exploded since I left. :D

Hah, yeah, I do the daily stuff when I'm on my shift...its annoying to find that the machine's computer hasn't been defragmented in like 2 months and everyone's like "why's the machine slow?" :p

I use this type, pretty much exclusively:
*best box cutter design on earth*

I use those at work too, w/out them I'd pretty much be lost hah.

Something that annoys me: People who go "no offence but you probably wont pass..." to you, only to say at 8pm when you've put off/gave up on studying for the class "actually, you should study...you might just pass" :|

I scheduled the class already, why would I want to try and stress myself out only to get a D and be forced to take the class again anyway only that time w/out financial aid. No thx.

Last edited:
On a similar note, when other fuckwit students start pouring into my lecture hall one minute before the lecture's over, and then stand in the exits, only leaving a bit of space for people to leave, I'll engage extended elbow mode as well.
Oh, look, you're being an incosiderate ass? I can do that too! :nod:

at my uni this has gone to the extend that previous lectures cannot be followed to the end because they cause such a lot of noise and disturbance while entering. they actually squeeze themselves into free seats, making people that actually want to listen to the lecture stand up and move aside for them, only to then start talking loudly because they don't give a crap about not-their-lecture. the fact you can't get out of the lecture-hall doesn't annoy me any more... i've gotten used to it -.-

"The Widdow Maker"
rsg1972.jpg

This one is, in my opinion, the most dangerous. It has an auto-retracting blade for "safety" but when people use it, they press very hard on that button/slider so that the blade stays out when they are pushing in to cut, that there's tons of unneeded exerted forces and it's easy to slip and lose control of it.

We used these things to open boxes of incoming stock when I worked in a shoe shop last year. I was just about freaking out every time I had to open a box. No matter what I tried no way seemed 'safe' to me. I kept imagining the thing slipping at just the wrong moment, ugh...

Last edited:
having to call expensive (? 0.14 per minute) phone numbers to rectify other people's mistakes :glare:

That means you, (...) DKB (...).
Right. I asked them to remove the credit card which they replaced with another, safer one (with chip) from my credit history. They should have done that on their own a long time ago. I mentioned that I destroyed the old card after activation of the new one, as they requested. What should I receive today? An e-mail reply asking me to send them the old credit card which they would then remove from my credit history. So apparently, they are incapable of a) reading a short text to the end and b) remembering their very own procedures for the replacement of a credit card. Nice. :wall:

(It is lunchtime here.)

People eating, while walking around the shopping mall or plaza.
When did that become a well mannered thing to do?

And I?m not even going to mention what happens to the sandwich wraps etc! Some of the same people seem unable to find a rubbish-trash bin. :shakefist:

We used these things to open boxes of incoming stock when I worked in a shoe shop last year. I was just about freaking out every time I had to open a box. No matter what I tried no way seemed 'safe' to me. I kept imagining the thing slipping at just the wrong moment, ugh...

We use keys to open boxes, sliding the sharp/jagged edges of my house keys works.

People eating, while walking around the shopping mall or plaza.
When did that become a well mannered thing to do?
I think it's borderline OK if it's a small snack and you're in a really public place, like a train station where there aren't any or near enough chairs. It's certainly not a nice thing though, I'll agree with that. Fun fact: the easiest way to spot German tourists in a French city near the border is to look for the people who are munching their home-made Butterstullen while walking in the streets.

And I?m not even going to mention what happens to the sandwich wraps etc! Some of the same people seem unable to find a rubbish-trash bin. :shakefist:
Fast "Food" customers are the worst for this. Looking for a McDonald's at night? Just follow the trail of trash along the road.

Last edited:
The fact that the used car market here is seriously fucked up price wise.
And the fact that they cut my winter holiday from 2 weeks to only one, from the 24th of December to the 3rd of January. Fuck you, whoever decided this! And they also cut my exam session from 4 weeks for 5 exams to 3 weeks for 5 exams!

Things that annoy me?

My car dying as I approach an red light around midnight on my way home from work.