TGA not returning for 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ well he did start the thread (so he has some rights of reply) .. and he wasn't trolling. Another post mentioned TGUS and he was responding to that .. in an albeit ham-fisted way. You are very cruel.

Last edited:
^ well he did start the thread (so he has some rights of reply) .. and he wasn't trolling. Another post mentioned TGUS and he was responding to that .. in an albeit ham-fisted way. You are very cruel.

He's been doing big-time anti-American trolls in General Automotive, and, as has been said, he's been turning every thread that he's replied in, whether he started it or not, into an anti-American-car screed. Don't defend him. He's beyond any defense right now. For the best example of his work, go into General Automotive and check out the "American Designs" thread.

Last edited:
^ OK, I've read (some of) that thread .. and it reminds me of why I don't bother reading the General Automotive section too often. Full of hot headed argue bots who use spurious pictures to support their attacks and are incapable of reasoning, or conducting a reasoned discussion. As the OP of that thread, he was one of only a few posters who weren't trolling. And so what if he doesn't like American cars? He is entitled to his opinion ..... or are American cars like the war against terrorism?

What "MASH" has become for channel 7, what "The Simpsons" has become for channel 10, "Top Gear" will become for channel 9.

Endlessly repeated.

I thought that was Two And A Half Men's job.

In (semi) related news, looks like Shane Warne's talk show has tanked in a huge way - last week, it pulled only 486,000 viewers. And non-Australians wondered why us Aussies that had warmed to the SBS iteration of TGA were so up in arms when Nein took over - they are absolute f*cking muppets.

No he IS trolling.

i still think that s02 on sbs had a future, with those hosts. now that nein got their paws on it, its ruined

Also, having the ads in the first place - I own a TiVo (like Fox iQ for freeview). I haven't had to watch an ad on tv in about 3 years.

Don't get used to it. The Freeview brand and technology was designed specifically to kill ad skipping on DTV.

From wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeview_(Australia)

"Freeview devices can not skip an ad block - they can skip 10 minute blocks, and fast forward and rewind at 30x speeds"

"... all (Freeview) shares are owned by the Nine Network"

Freeview is not your friend, no matter what the marketing would have you believe.

Last edited:
I thought Freeview was set up by all the free-to-air networks.

I have a Panasonic Blu-Ray player with twin digital tuners and a HDD. It isn't Freeview branded and has a 1 minute skip button. I'm pretty happy with it.

Channel 9 sucks, i actually started to enjoy TGAU

The PS3 playtv add-on has been neutered to get that stupid freeview logo. The 120x fast forward (reduced to 30x), copy to XMB and 1min skip have been axed. If you change the country from australia to another these magically reappear, only to go again when you set it back to Aus.

As stated Freeview is for the benefit of the commerical networks only.

just saw this posted on the TGAU facebook page.
"For all those asking, all new Top Gear in both Aussie and UK flavours will return in 2011. Stay tuned to topgear.com for updates..."

I bumped into Ewen at V8 round at Homebush handing out TopGear Mags. I asked about the last ep for the current series and he isn't sure when Ch9 will show it. He did mentioned that it will be back next year, but he didn't mentioned in what capacity unfortunately.

No he IS trolling.

oh, you guys so mad.

i'll admit the american designs thread was a troll, but in all seriousness, i stand by my view that all top gear's apart from the UK one are rubbish. there is no need for them. yes, top gear is a successful show, but thanks to a little thing called "globalisation", we can buy pretty much any car we want all around the world, so there's nothing very different that the other re-makes can do apart from a few models which would only take up a couple of episodes. nowhere near enough to fill 10 seasons or so.

to please the american crowd who seem to hate me, i'll use an australian example. we make a grand total of 5 cars. holden commodore, holden cruze (so i'm told), ford falcon and ford territory and the toyota landcruiser (not built here, but deisgned for aus deserts). everything else is an import or rebadge. so how many eps of those 5 cars could we possibly have before they go and have an italian supercar - exactly like the UK would have done?

i don't see the point in these re-makes. see where i'm getting at here?

i stand by my view that all top gear's apart from the UK one are rubbish. there is no need for them. yes, top gear is a successful show, but thanks to a little thing called "globalisation", we can buy pretty much any car we want all around the world,

Bullshit.

Let me tell you about the situation here in the First World, otherwise known as the United States. You can't buy any car you want from around the world. American cars, yes. Japanese cars, from their Big Three and their subsidiary branches, yes, but otherwise, it's difficult. Even Subarus are difficult to get a hold of. Korean cars, only from Hyundai and Kia. For German cars, there are more combined dealers than stand-alone ones; just to cite one example, my local Honda dealer is also my local Merc and Audi dealer. You can get VWs, but you can't get Skodas and Seats. Swedish cars are pretty rare, and they're mostly sold through combined dealerships. Italian cars are also pretty rare; you can't get a Fiat here until FiatChrysler brings the 500 over next year. British cars are a slightly different story. When Ford owned Jag, they built up the dealership network as an independent marque, and when Tata bought them, they maintained the dealer network. That combined dealer near my place also is my local Jag dealer (and, yes, I'm very, very tempted). Astons and Bentleys, though...I think there are less than a dozen Aston dealers in the US.

So, no, you can't get anything you want, even in the US. And the imported cars we do get in the US are different than the Euro models due to emissions regulations and such.

Let me cite one major difference that illustrates why we in the US need a localized Top Gear: your gallon is 1.2 of our gallons.

ETA: Realized I forgot about the frogs. No, we don't get any Citroens, Peugeots, or or Renaults here either. Nor do we want them, but that's a different story.

Last edited:
Let me cite one major difference that illustrates why we in the US need a localized Top Gear: your gallon is 1.2 of our gallons.

Let me cite one major difference. In Australia, we use Litres and km/h, not gallons and mph.

I was touring the USA and Canada about a year ago, and from what I could see, purely on an observation level, not actually asking anyone, there didn't exactly seem to be a shortage of imported cars, but more or less a lack of demand. Yes, you didn't see many Jap or Euros on the road, but that is probably because Americans would rather have a home-built car. Dealers seemed to be all over the place, and absolutely full of cars waiting to be sold, so there couldn't possibly be a shortage of supply there.

In fact: my shock and horror when our rental car was a BMW...

ETA: Realized I forgot about the frogs. No, we don't get any Citroens, Peugeots, or or Renaults here either. Nor do we want them, but that's a different story.

Your loss.

Astons and Bentleys, though...I think there are less than a dozen Aston dealers in the US.

Astons and Bentleys are exclusive cars. Even if the demand was there, they wouldn't put the dealers everywhere. BMW and Mercedes used to do the same thing until they became more streamline. In Australia, there are a total of 5 Aston dealers, and also 5 Bentley dealers. This ensures that the car is exclusive. I doubt the global corporations would licence anyone else to be a retailer if they applied for it.

- also, we really should stop getting off-topic

Status
Not open for further replies.