Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Sounds-like-youre-in-quite-a-pickle.png

Internet problems are getting interesting. I called the isp, they told me to disconnect all devices from the modem, and then tried to ping it. Didn't work. I changed the modem, doesn't work. Now it works if I plug just the modem to the cable, and no tv. Atleast for now. It didn't work when I plugged it to other socket.

Cable companys technician is coming to check the signals tomorrow. Funny thing is it's worked fine for six months.

I still have no internet since ~4 o'clock yesterday afternoon. I called Comcast and the automated system offered to call me when service is restored. I hate them so much they've got me considering DSL just to get rid of them.

I still have no internet since ~4 o'clock yesterday afternoon. I called Comcast and the automated system offered to call me when service is restored. I hate them so much they've got me considering DSL just to get rid of them.

My mother called Verizon today about switching some cables around. They will be here wendsday :D
Verizon has wonderful support, the last time our internet went out they got here in THREE HOURS.

What a coincidence, it took THREE SCHEDULED APPOINTEMENTS for them to setup my cable. The first two guys decided they had some better place to be.

Stretch in a wire from some place that has verizon?

I plan on moving in about a year, I should make FiOs availability a requirement.

I had Charter and switched to Uverse and love it.

I'd switch to FiOS in a heartbeat if it was offered in my area, but since it isn't, I'm quite happy with my Comcast. I haven't had any problems at this location, their tech came out quickly to set it up, and the speeds are better than advertised. My mom has had it for years and actually switched to them for her phone line, because their VoIP was more reliable than her old POTS connection from Ma Bell. U-Verse is slower, more expensive, and requires me to deal with AT&T, which honestly is one of my least favorite activities in the world. Comcast's service is actually preferable, at least in my area.

I know I'm like the only person in the world with that experience though.

Last edited:
Hmm, it seems my SSD has carked it. Removed it from my computer, and now it boots fine from my backup partition in my optibay drive. Doesn't show up on OSX even though its sitting in a USB enclosure atm.

Sorta pissed that it after less than 2 months of ownership, but can't do much now. Take it back to the store and RMA I guess.

Internet problems are getting interesting. I called the isp, they told me to disconnect all devices from the modem, and then tried to ping it. Didn't work. I changed the modem, doesn't work. Now it works if I plug just the modem to the cable, and no tv. Atleast for now. It didn't work when I plugged it to other socket.

Cable companys technician is coming to check the signals tomorrow. Funny thing is it's worked fine for six months.

I think I found the problem. I pulled the cable out of the socket, and the darn connector came apart. Now I have to find a tnc-connector somewhere, or solder a new iec connector to the old cable.

phone screen cracked so I'm looking for a replacement.

this any good?

Don't really need a fancy phone but MP3 player and touchscreen seems good, as does the 75? pricetag

^I know someone who has one like that, stay away! It's horrible to type on. In that price range I can't recommend a touchscreen phone, I know lots of people with more expensive LG Cookies and Samsung Star's and all are horribly laggy to type on.

I'd say either of these:
SONY ERICSSON J108i (hell it even has 3G+)
NOKIA 2730 BLACK (Even cheaper, also 3G+ and very solid phone overall)

Samsung touch phones use a capacitive screen that's way better than the resistive crap LG uses. But yeah, don't think you can get a good touchscreen at that price range.

Samsung touch phones use a capacitive screen that's way better than the resistive crap LG uses. But yeah, don't think you can get a good touchscreen at that price range.

From the review:
What's miniscule, has a 2.4? resistive touchscreen, and is as cheap as they come? We'll save you the suspense, it's the Samsung Champ, aka C3300.

And yes, stay. the fuck. away.

Okay then, this is what I need

- good keyboard/touchscreen (lots of texting)
- good range
- good battery

- MP3 player or radio
- Wifi
- < 100?

don't need

- touchscreen
- WAP, EDGE, all that pay as you go internet garbage

FinalGearers, go!

SONY ERICSSON W100i any good?

Last edited:
Okay then, this is what I need

- good keyboard/touchscreen (lots of texting)
- good range
- good battery

- MP3 player or radio
- Wifi
- < 100?

don't need

- touchscreen
- WAP, EDGE, all that pay as you go internet garbage

FinalGearers, go!

SONY ERICSSON W100i any good?

The Nokia C3 would be nice but seems quite expensive on that site.

oh yeah, forgot to mention my passionate hate for all Nokias... those are out... :)