Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Before I got my current phone I only had Sony Ericssons (4 of them).
They are great phones, if you change phones in 1-1.5 years time. Because durability isn't their strongest point, at least not with those I got.

If you text a lot like I do, a full azerty or qwerty keyboard makes life a whole lot easier. So you might want to check out that C3 although it's a Nokia :p

Does that tiny Samsung run Android? It looks like it might. If so, you can try Swype or another replacement keyboard.... but I doubt anything is going to work well in that form factor.

EDIT: I was confused by the mention of TouchWhiz, the article doesn't mention Android so it likely doesn't.

Last edited:
I went on the internet, and found THIS, what about that Noodle? :p

Decided my build.

Gigabyte LGA1155 mobo
8GB DDR3-1600
Core i7-2600K CPU
Corsair 850W PSU
Sapphire ATI HD6970

Total cost: ~1200

Thanks I'll look into it...

Before I got my current phone I only had Sony Ericssons (4 of them).
They are great phones, if you change phones in 1-1.5 years time. Because durability isn't their strongest point, at least not with those I got.

If you text a lot like I do, a full azerty or qwerty keyboard makes life a whole lot easier. So you might want to check out that C3 although it's a Nokia :p

Actually, I'm very much the SonyEricsson fan, I've only "used up" 2 of them in about 7 years, so either I'm extremely lucky or I happen to get good Sony models? It's not like I'm careful with them...

Never liked Nokia though, and think I'll never will

I went on the internet, and found THIS, what about that Noodle? :p

Nope, still male, and still heterosexual. But nice try

hmmm... the plot thickens

how are these :

SAMSUNG B3410 (has Wifi and keyboard)

SAMSUNG Star S5230 (screen looks nice)

LG POP GD510 black (same as above but cheaper)

I'd say get the B3410. If you do a lot of texting you'll get annoyed with the other 2 before you even finished your text. Also, azerty is good when typing and you still get the touchscreen for when you have to make a quick phonecall.

Wow, just wow... Sprint has some shitty customer service.

Just spent 20 minutes on the phone with them regarding my forthcoming security deposit refund... and I don't mean on hold. I mean 20 minutes with a totally inept CSR, and most of that time he was so quiet while looking into my account that I had to inquire as to whether he was still on the line or not numerous times.

When I returned the Epic 4G the store refunded the price of the phone, some $300 odd dollars. They said my $250 security deposit had to be issued in the form of a check from the credit department, I said fair enough. I called back tonight since it's been a month to make sure they weren't withholding it for some reason.

The guy kept insisting Sprint still owes me $190 in addition to my $250 security deposit, and he couldn't tell me what that additional credit was for despite making me wait for so long. I think he was seriously about to issue me a check for $190 before my pestering finally forced him to put a note on the account preventing that.

Did I just screw myself out of $190 they didn't owe me? Probably not, guessing their accounting department or computer system would have caught the mistake. When has a big corporation sent people money that wasn't theirs? :p

At any rate, I remain seriously unimpressed Sprint.

Wow, just wow... Sprint has some shitty customer service.

Just spent 20 minutes on the phone with them regarding my forthcoming security deposit refund... and I don't mean on hold. I mean 20 minutes with a totally inept CSR, and most of that time he was so quiet while looking into my account that I had to inquire as to whether he was still on the line or not numerous times.

When I returned the Epic 4G the store refunded the price of the phone, some $300 odd dollars. They said my $250 security deposit had to be issued in the form of a check from the credit department, I said fair enough. I called back tonight since it's been a month to make sure they weren't withholding it for some reason.

The guy kept insisting Sprint still owes me $190 in addition to my $250 security deposit, and he couldn't tell me what that additional credit was for despite making me wait for so long. I think he was seriously about to issue me a check for $190 before my pestering finally forced him to put a note on the account preventing that.

Did I just screw myself out of $190 they didn't owe me? Probably not, guessing their accounting department or computer system would have caught the mistake. When has a big corporation sent people money that wasn't theirs? :p

At any rate, I remain seriously unimpressed Sprint.

Yikes, a lot of people say Sprint was improving from their past "bad old days" of horrible CS. Sad to hear that that's not the case, ironically, I was considering switching to them before adding a line for my bro to my Verizon account. I guess the whole axiom of "getting what you pay for" counts here because while VZW is notoriously expensive (140 bucks per month for two lines, one smartphone, one dumb...and that's with a 20 percent feature/plan discount) I had an excellent customer service experience (regarding issues that happened after adding said line) that pretty much ensured that I'd stay for a while. :)

What network are you on in the meantime?

I'm still on AT&T's GoPhone prepaid thing... probably stay on it for the forseeable future too. I haven't been left stranded without data, and the $15 I put in 3 weeks ago still has slightly less than $10 left on it.

Sure it's nice to have unlimited data and a shiny new phone, but it'd be kind of idiotic to pay almost or in excess of $100 a month when I can manage with $15... guess it was a blessing in disguise the Epic 4G turned out to be a steaming pile.

Gonna use it to power your house?

needs moaarr poweeeeerrrrrrr!!! nothing below 850W will do! :burnrubber: just because it CAN do 850W doesn't necessarily mean it'll perform less efficiently at lower loads than a 'smaller' PSU would...
personally, i'd rather question the 6970 after the initial benchmarks / tests i've seen :p

Last edited:
Actually, if you look up the efficiency rating charts for computer PSUs you'll see that peak efficiency is at 85% load IIRC, and it goes down above and below that.

Actually, if you look up the efficiency rating charts for computer PSUs you'll see that peak efficiency is at 85% load IIRC, and it goes down above and below that.

well yes, but afaik the newer PSU's tend to be designed to give... erm... let's say acceptable efficiency across the whole load-spectrum... something like that, right? so if you get an "80+ somethingsomething" certified thingy, you should still be ok with an 850W PSU without throwing money out the window (except maybe actually buying the thing itself ^^).

He should be fine with a good 500W PSU, 600W if paranoid or planning lots of drives and other consumers. The trouble is, while modern PSUs have significantly widened their efficiency band, if your peak consumption is 450W then your usual consumption will be 200-250W. That would be about 25% load, quite far away from peak efficiency.

I have 6 hard drives, 6 120mm fans, and a fan controller.

I intend to overclock the shit out of the 2600k, so i need a beefy power supply to compensate.

@eizbaer, I understand and have my problems with the 6970 as well... I would get a GTx 570 but I will NOT buy Nvidia cards any more. I'm getting a single 6970 with the intention of Crossfire in order to max Elder Scrolls 5 and Rage, when they come out.