Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Ok, I've thought just now of the greatest idea ever. It's supposed to make people who like manuals and automatics happy at the same time.

Basically, the car would come with 6 automatic gearboxes that you could manually select. Shifting would involve, uh, engaging a different automatic.

Ok, I've thought just now of the greatest idea ever. It's supposed to make people who like manuals and automatics happy at the same time.

Basically, the car would come with 6 automatic gearboxes that you could manually select. Shifting would involve, uh, engaging a different automatic.

Someone take the eggnog away from Fatmouse. He's cut off before he starts espousing the merits of Direct Exhaust Injection.

Hey all. My brother has a 2010 hyundai sonata automatic 4cyl with about 50k miles. Recently, when he is braking to a stop, the transmission jerks hard on the 2-1 shift, enough to force the nose of his car to noticably dip.

He's taking it in to the dealer in "a few days" which could actually be weeks. Any idea what this could be? Is it ok for him to drive the car?

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

The problem is that he bought a slushbox instead of rowing his own gears the way god intended.

Customer service is a dying ideal, and it will make me stick with or abandon a company. I'm pretty damned impressed, and I'm not easily impressed.

Oh, and Spectre, thanks for setting me down this line of inquiry. I learned a ton about lubricants on both sides of this debate, and if my conversation with the Nissan parts guy is any indication then I probably know more about gear oil than he does at this point.

No problem. Also, let's put this to bed once and for all for the archives and those that will inevitably search them. Otherwise both of us may get some very odd questions years after we've forgotten the incident. (I get strange PMs from my Jaguar threads, for example...)

The original owner's manual for your XTerra (and most other recent Nissans) are available either direct from Nissan's website, or more conveniently, from my local dealer's web site here: http://courtesyparts.com/owners-manuals.php

This is page 9-2 of that manual.
Picture+21.png

It's pretty clear that Nissan knows what GL-5 is as they use it elsewhere in the car. It's also pretty clear that Nissan doesn't want GL-5 anywhere near your manual transmission. And you now know the reason why. Unfortunately, I don't think I've ever seen a Nissan owner's manual where they explain why this is the case, which is IMHO both annoying and stupid.

As for knowing more than the idiots at dealership parts counters or even some of the people working in the service department, welcome to the club. Happens all the time. If you do find a competent parts person, treasure them, they are surprisingly rare.

This has happened to me, too, but I caught it in time. I took my Series III to a dealership to have the oil changed under one of their service specials. They had just hired a new service manager and service writers plus some new techs; this was their way of attracting customers to return. I tend to watch quite closely when someone services that car, and I just happened to notice that their shiny new tech was loading up my car with 5W30. This is a standard oil used by the later cars so it figures that this would be what he'd normally reach for. Only one tiny little problem.

Picture+26_002.png

I live in North Texas. It doesn't get cold enough here for the big XK engine to safely use 5W30!

The tech said I was wrong, the new service manager said I was wrong, the parts manager said I was right (good man, long time employee) and we ended up before the dealership manager in short order. End result: "He's right, you're wrong, go drain his oil and do it right. He just saved you from being fired, now get out of my office."

Moral of story: Don't automatically assume that your particular dealership knows what they're talking about. Sometimes they don't. Trust - but verify. :D (And even if they do have competent techs, anyone can make a mistake. Never hurts to double check.)

Edit: By the way, I do have them properly trained now. :D It took a while.

Edit 2: Also, yes - very good service from Royal Purple. I will also consider them for some upcoming lubrication needs.

Last edited:
Hey all. My brother has a 2010 hyundai sonata automatic 4cyl with about 50k miles. Recently, when he is braking to a stop, the transmission jerks hard on the 2-1 shift, enough to force the nose of his car to noticably dip.

He's taking it in to the dealer in "a few days" which could actually be weeks. Any idea what this could be? Is it ok for him to drive the car?

I'd say it's okay for him to drive it, my transmission occasionally does that when accelerating, although that is usually because I punched the throttle and confused the transmission.

It's probably mechanical damage inside. Unless he's been abusing it, it's probably either a design flaw (hello, Jaguar, looking at your 100K-and-done autos in the V8 cars) or just a random metallurgical failure. While I don't know the Hyundai auto very well, if I were looking at the same problem on one of my own vehicles, I would guess that it is some sort of failure of either the 1-2 band/actuation system or possibly the shell.

Unfortunately, this is rather serious. He does need to take it in as soon as possible to avoid further damage and to avoid getting stranded.

Last edited:
I'm a bit late to the speed vs. engine speed vs. displacement game, but whatever.

On a recent trip to "Mexico."

ca686966.jpg

2950RPM @ 85 MPH.

Also, caravaning arseholes, not just in the UK/EU.

70 MPH zone, going 50. Towed by a 350 powered Suburban :?

6b39aaac.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
I am buying those and putting them on your car with the flower.

Did you ask them if they bothered to upgrade the pitiful horsepower while they were covering it with silly accessories?

How can this be? We are told that more engine != better by various forum members here, that in fact, smaller is better! :p

I've just learned that my dear old ma had an E-type Jag in the 70's.

Apparently she liked to go quite fast and took it up to 120 a number of times.

This explains much.