Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Parking is free for all students :D and now they're opening a new parking lot with space for OVER A THOUSAND CARS!! as our campus director put it.

And since I've got contacts on administration. I got one of those cool ?Teacher's parking? stickers.

Last edited:
A full year parking pass at SUU (campus only) is $15, plus another $15 for campus housing, cant park in the faculty places.
I have a set of passes for one car, and the other has SUU plates, which allow me to park in any spot on campus, including faculty...

Course, there is never enough parking anywhere, but its a relatively small campus, so I walk everywhere, unless I need to bring a bunch of stuff, am going to the pool, or there are multiple feet of un-shoveled snow...

Do you guys know if there's any significant difference between a light truck tire, marked with a "C" and a normal car's tire?

X - Park wherever the hell you like, in handicap spots, on the sidewalk, in firelanes. This is a unicorn and only a few are issued to very specific people each year.

QFT

They give out quite a few of those at my university. Mostly to maintenance workers who use them to park in the motorcycle spots.

I pay $73 to park in those spots, plus $150 or so for my car.

^ that reminds me- motorcycle parking is free at my uni, and there are always spaces (and some parks are under shelters!!!)

Clio V8 swap on its way?

Clio V6 turned up to 11? :think:

Alas, no, I got a ride home in a brand new Commodore SS-V. I was disappointed by how quiet the engine is, until you really open it up. Which couldn't happen often in rush hour. But when you do, god its fast. Corners nicely too, and was still very comfortable. If I had to commute 150km by car every day I'd seriously consider getting one of these.

It would have been fun in the Clio too, but usually if I have to travel to Sydney to work (150km round trip) I take the train. So 6.0 V8 > train.

Last edited:
As our campus is a publically open one, parking costs the same as any normal carpark (however as the campus is no-where near anywhere else there's only really students and staff parking there). Staff can get passes that cost a percentage of their income, and there are a few free passes for those who need them (for medical etc reasons). However for us students they really do say not to drive in unless you absolutely have to - there is plenty of public transport (read: shitty buses) that go to the campus.
They do do a 12 day parking pass that lasts a month which saves you a bit. Works as a scratchcard so you scratch off the day you park - 12 days scratched off and its finished/void.

Its should also be noted that in first year all students live in halls of residence on campus and in the second year most if not all live in basically student towns - so I'll be booking a house for next year in the start of next term to live with 3 others (who I do know). Despite living about 10 miles away from campus I'll still be getting the bus everyday. Unfortunately. I think one of my housemates will be bringing a car, but driving/parking to campus is just way too expensive to do.

Thats my uni, but I know that at others with closed campuses (so only registered people can enter in cars rather than Joe Public) students can get yearly passes for like ?50.

So, what went wrong, O Carless Bum? :mrgreen:

When your family has 5 cars you realize that you don't need one yourself, and you sell it for a profit.

We're in the process of getting rid of two more (a truck and a dead Thunderbird). When the space is cleared up either my dad will buy the car of his dreams or he won't and I'll buy myself another cheap car. Then we'll have 2 cars and a truck for the horse.

Last edited:
Heh as of right now my parents own the following cars: Pontiac Torrent, Buick Roadmaser, MGB, Land Rover Discovery (yes my dad has one too), and a Lincoln Mark VIII.

Does anybody know what could be the cause of a knocking noise coming from the back of the car? It's a 2008 Astra XR with 53,200 miles. It typically occurs when the car is braking or going over a large bump. it started about 2 weks ago and has gotten progressively worse. my guess is that it could be the shocks. I don't want to take it to the dealer until after the busy holiday season.

Thanks!

Trying looking for something that has a broken bracket. Exhaust is the best bet.

Imagine that someone had a parked car they weren't using for a while with nearly pure water in the coolant system. They now have plans to start driving the car again but just remembered all the water in the cooling system and it is now mid december and well below freezing outside. Exactly how fucked do we think this person might be? Also what would be the best way to remedy the problem while doing the least ammount of damage. I assume trying to start it will probably kill the water pump so should i like put a space heater/hair dryer under the hood and just let it run for an hour or so? I would really like to avoid having to put more money into this saab.

Assuming pure water:

Best case likely scenario, it blew out the freeze plugs and screwed the radiator.

Worst case scenario, head or block crack (and worse) necessitating engine replacement.

Suggested course of action:Take a propane heater outside to the car and warm the block and radiator to at least 70F. Watch for leaks. Do not try to start it until the block is thoroughly warmed by the heater. Once the block has heated, drain the now liquid water out of the engine and refill with antifreeze. Watch for more leaks. While you're waiting, pull the spark plugs and determine if there is any water in the cylinders - be careful that no crap falls into the cylinders. If water is not present, spray a generous amount of penetrant into each cylinder. Wait at least 5 minutes for the penetrant to work its way in. Attempt to start the engine with the plugs out once the water has thawed and you've replaced it with coolant. If the engine spins properly, try it for a couple of seconds to get the last of the penetrant out, then refit spark plugs and try to start it 'for real.'

Chances are pretty good the thing's hosed, though.

Last edited:
Best case scenario, it blew out the freeze plugs.

Worst case scenario, head or block crack (and worse) necessitating engine replacement.

FUUUUUUUUUU

FUUUUUUUUUU

Thought about it further, edited above. It's possible that it's going to be fine, just really really unlikely.

The person who idiotically filled the engine with water wouldn't happen to be you, would it? If not, smack them upside the head repeatedly... and then send them the repair bill. Stupidity should be painful.

Last edited:
Assuming said person lives in this area, I would say very fucked just judging by the weather, the temperature has fluctuated enough recently it has thawed and frozen many times over by now so it might have done more damage each time depending on what nooks and carnies it may have escaped to in there various freeze thaw refreezes. :|

QFT

They give out quite a few of those at my university. Mostly to maintenance workers who use them to park in the motorcycle spots.

I pay $73 to park in those spots, plus $150 or so for my car.

At the UofU the "X" passes aren't for maintenance, those guys have special University vehicles for that. The "X" pass goes to high-up administrators and the president of the student body. Pretty much you have to know someone really powerful and then you still have to pay several thousand for the pass itself.

Possible trouble with the GTI...

LA's been getting decent rain recently, not like the pathetic five minute showers which are the norm for rainy days here but actual, lasts a few hours at a time rain like we get back in Vancouver.

Anyway, my car has just started making a creaking noise when I turn the steering wheel to either side... almost sounds like an old wooden door in need of some lube.

I did a tiny bit of research and some are saying this is normal and happens to all cars, but this isn't the same thing. I'm not an idiot, I know most cars make a hum at full lock but this is neither a hum nor does it happen at full lock, it's probably half lock or less when it starts creaking.

Plus, I know it has something to do with the rain because I've put the car through a lot in the last 2.5 months and only heavy rain has caused this to flare up.

Any idea what this might be? Or if it might be normal since it's something to do with the rain or the wetness/moisture it brings?