New VXR8

The HSV GTS seems to get more meretricious with each incarnation. I've seen a few of these on the roads in the last week and initially I thought the owners had put some after market kit on to make them look more like the Pontiac G8. I think part of the problem HSV has is that the standard VE Commodore has quite an aggressive look (big flared wheel arches, side gills etc) .. to make the GTS stand out they may think they have to be extreme. Thankfully, if you want to buy one in Australia, you do have a choice. In addition to the Clubsport and GTS, they also make the Senator and Grange, which are the same cars underneath (engine, transmission, suspension, brakes) but are both much more understated. This is the Senator (which is the less gaudy version of the Clubsport):

08-hsv-senator-signature1.jpg

That's the old Senator. Unfortunately the new stylists got to the new one as well:
holden-hsv-senator.jpg

And if there was one HSV on which they were supposed to hold back with the vulgar boganistic bodykits, its the Grange. But that didn't stop them:
HSV-Grange-WM3-1.jpg

Granted they're not as bad as the GTS, but they're still much uglier than the old ones.

Just yesterday I was taking to a motoring journalist friend, who said that when they were invited to the launch, HSV asked for their opinons, and pretty much everyone said it was ugly and looked stupid, and then the HSV people simply replied with "well, you're wrong".

Just yesterday I was taking to a motoring journalist friend, who said that when they were invited to the launch, HSV asked for their opinons, and pretty much everyone said it was ugly and looked stupid, and then the HSV people simply replied with "well, you're wrong".

Motoring journos arent the target audience though. I think it's ok, HSVs are supposed to be silly and vulgar. I'd never have one but I like watching them go past in the street as if I was 10 years old again.

Motoring journos arent the target audience though. I think it's ok, HSVs are supposed to be silly and vulgar. I'd never have one but I like watching them go past in the street as if I was 10 years old again.

The old one was a happy medium between quiet and sensible and silly and vulgar. This ones just ugly. In my opinion anyway :p

Apart from the new front and rear bumpers, it looks the same as the old one... so what is the difference between the old one and a GTS?

Old one was only the R8 model, not the GTS (If you're taking about the old VXR8).

I don't like the bumpers much, but it's spose to be as vugar as possible. It's a VXR.

This is my face when I saw it

https://pic.armedcats.net/k/kn/knarkas/2010/12/18/Xzibit_sad.jpg

Last edited:
r8_tourer2.jpg

or an updated Senator with the older bodykit would be what I'd buy.

Driving along today, I saw the new HSV Clubsport in the distance but it looked a bit odd. As it came closer I saw why it looked abit funny. It was a Limousine with the new HSV front and rear :sick:

I don't like the yellow. Specifically, I don't like the contrast between that yellow and that black hourglass shape in the front.

In black? Yessssss. That would be one evil looking rice- vegemite-rocket. Mwahahaha.