Your worst traffic annoyances

:dunno: the spots at my school are small in every direction (read you cannot fit a full sized sedan lengthwise) and I still haven't had any issue.

:dunno: the spots at my school are small in every direction (read you cannot fit a full sized sedan lengthwise) and I still haven't had any issue.

You are comparing a convertible bug to a normal sized car... Also keep in mind that many of the newer cars have pretty thick doors.

Yes, I know. I am comparing the size of my doors to my mother's 2010 outback as that is the other car I drive regularly. Much easier to open the outback's doors in small spaces.

Yes, I know. I am comparing the size of my doors to my mother's 2010 outback as that is the other car I drive regularly. Much easier to open the outback's doors in small spaces.

You just drop that top and get out :p

That would be stupid.
I can roll the windows up from the outside but can't close the top I would only put the window down :p

:dunno: the spots at my school are small in every direction (read you cannot fit a full sized sedan lengthwise)

QFT

Probably the only thing preventing me from getting a bigger car/truck to replace my aging Saab.

That would be stupid.
I can roll the windows up from the outside but can't close the top I would only put the window down :p
So you can close the roof then close the windows? Also check to see if there is some sort of a setting for the VAG-COM you could use to remote control the roof. In stock form I couldn't control windows from my remote on my car but its a simple settings change.

So you can close the roof then close the windows? Also check to see if there is some sort of a setting for the VAG-COM you could use to remote control the roof. In stock form I couldn't control windows from my remote on my car but its a simple settings change.

Her power top mechanism is completely broken; there's no way to raise or lower the top from outside the car without it. VAG kwalitee! :p

Also, GerFix, this one is especially for you.

I found myself back in the very same parking lot I took those other pictures posted above at. Since I had my camera handy, I made a point of parking the Bigger Than Most SUVs Crown Victoria Super Land Barge Which Is Known To Destroy The Earth And Eat Small Children Whilst Being Larger Than A Small Moon According To Many Europeans And Some Australians in a "compact car only" spot.

1. Same size spot, car still fits just fine.
IMG_8084.JPG

2. Kind of sticks out in the sea of smaller vehicles, though. Since it still fits in the marked spot, I don't care.
IMG_8091.JPG

3. The car is parked left-justified in the spot (but still totally inside the line), not only to make it a little harder for me...
IMG_8085.JPG

4. ...but also to give the CR-V a little more room for the driver's door. After all, I won't need it.
IMG_8088.JPG

5. This is as close as my door ever gets to the Corolla - 1.5-2" or 5cm. This isn't even challenging.
IMG_8093.jpg

IMG_8082.jpg

6. This is all the space I need to get into or out of my car. I am neither small nor thin. Not a contortionist, either.
IMG_8093.jpg

7. Plenty of space for the BattleCruiser's doors. In fact, this is even closer than I was to the Kia last time.
IMG_8092.jpg

End result:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5tJaJHRomw[/youtube]

No muss, no fuss, no door dings, no contact, door never gets close to contacting the Corolla. Didn't even bump my pistol on the door frame. Takes only a few more seconds to get in than normal, too.

If you can't get in your car in this tight a space, you either don't know what you're doing, bought the wrong car, are a German who needs to lay off the sausages or are an Australian who really should think about drinking less beer and exercising more. Or some combination of the above. :evil: :lol: :mrgreen:

Last edited:
No I can open and close the windows by putting the key in the door and holding it. I cannot close the roof from the outside ever because the lever that locks it in place (and the button that operates it) are both in the middle of my car and could never reach it. There was never a button on the keyfob to control the roof.
Her power top mechanism is completely broken; there's no way to raise or lower the top from outside the car without it. VAG kwalitee! :p

Actually because it's broken now I have to lower the top from outside the car because I have to push it down. I cannot however put it back up without elaborate gymnastics.

Of course, but I was more referring to your inability to use a remote to raise or lower the top being related to the fact that it technically doesn't work. :p

It's better this way, I can use the workout. Weak girly arms and such. :|

I should take out the motors. Where are they, I bet they weigh something I could gain .something of a second of acceleration.

Didn't even bump my pistol on the door frame.
:blink: Sometimes, I don't know if you're being serious or just trolling the Europeans.

At any rate, the bargeness of the Crown Vic makes getting into a small door aperture comparatively easy - I could do the same trick with my 3/4 ton van. Having some room to work with with regards to feet and legs makes all the difference. Getting into smaller, lower cars with less movement space for legs requires a wider door opening. If you actually analyze the movement of a driver getting into a small car, they're essentially assuming the sitting position and then sliding in sideways, whereas with a big barge you're getting in and only then sitting down.

:blink: Sometimes, I don't know if you're being serious or just trolling the Europeans.

In this case, both! :D Though it's more aimed at a certain Australian.

At any rate, the bargeness of the Crown Vic makes getting into a small door aperture comparatively easy - I could do the same trick with my 3/4 ton van. Having some room to work with with regards to feet and legs makes all the difference. Getting into smaller, lower cars with less movement space for legs requires a wider door opening. If you actually analyze the movement of a driver getting into a small car, they're essentially assuming the sitting position and then sliding in sideways, whereas with a big barge you're getting in and only then sitting down.

There's something to that. Still funny about how all the compact car drivers complain about needing 'more space' to get into their cars... and I don't. :D

Last edited:
It's better this way, I can use the workout. Weak girly arms and such. :|

I should take out the motors. Where are they, I bet they weigh something I could gain .something of a second of acceleration.

I'm sending you a PM in a minute with a link to the PDF of the service manual section for your convertible top. It weighs in at 113 pages excluding the section on the manual top. Having skimmed it, I can only say the following: Volkswagen is INSANE.

My car is much harder to get in and out of than my parent's Commodore. Bigger doors, combined with lower seats and higher bolsters do that. But since the car is much smaller, its never been a problem in a shopping centre carpark close parking situation, unless someone with a land barge too big for their spot has parked in the very left hand side of the spot :p

It has happened once when some wanker parked a BMW X6 practically on the line of their space, leaving a much larger amount of space on the other side.

My car is much harder to get in and out of than my parent's Commodore. Bigger doors, combined with lower seats and higher bolsters do that. But since the car is much smaller, its never been a problem in a shopping centre carpark close parking situation, unless someone with a land barge too big for their spot has parked in the very left hand side of the spot :p

It has happened once when some wanker parked a BMW X6 practically on the line of their space, leaving a much larger amount of space on the other side.

Hey, I specifically left extra space on the driver's side of the CR-V. :p :D And that was actually more than some of these compact drivers were leaving each other. :rolleyes:

Hey, I specifically left extra space on the driver's side of the CR-V. :p :D And that was actually more than some of these compact drivers were leaving each other. :rolleyes:
I maintain it is always more a problem with the driver than the car. Except in the case of the X6 when it is both. These sorts of cars breed inconsiderate drivers.

Give me an actual time number, not sure which noise you're talking about.

Edit: What, the roaring noise? That's the air from the car's climate control. The car was already running prior to me getting in. Remote start and remote keyless entry is fun! :p

Last edited:
No, not the roaring. You put your hand on the door handle, open door. When the door swing stops, there is a knocking noise. That noise.