[08x07] July 23rd, 2006

If you watched the clock carefully, it was more than 8 hours which means the race is off and they made up the ending.
It started at 9am, but the guys haven't finished it at 5.37pm. (timecode 55:57)

If you watched the clock carefully, it was more than 8 hours which means the race is off and they made up the ending.

No, it doesn't mean they made it up.

(edited to add...)

It's been mentioned earlier in the thread, but I'll say it again here. It's a known fact that they run their races in real time to get a result but then go back and film "coverage shots" (shots of the car/train/plane/boat/whatever going by a certain point) later to illustrate things. To misquote James himself: What you see is true but not necessarily real. So you would've had one crew with the Stig (and the car fitted with the tracking device so the boys could track his progress), and another crew at Knockhill with the guys. What if, they got toward the eighth hour and realized Stig was nowhere near Knockhill/got pulled over by the rozzers but got the go-ahead to continue past the eight hours? That would explain why they were still working at 5:35 pm. The part with the Stig at the end would serve, as at least one person in this thread has suggested, as a humourous re-telling (with the cooperation of the Fife police) of what happened to him.

Last edited:

(edited to add...)

It's been mentioned earlier in the thread, but I'll say it again here. It's a known fact that they run their races in real time to get a result but then go back and film "coverage shots" (shots of the car/train/plane/boat/whatever going by a certain point) later to illustrate things. To misquote James himself: What you see is true but not necessarily real. So you would've had one crew with the Stig (and the car fitted with the tracking device so the boys could track his progress), and another crew at Knockhill with the guys. What if, they got toward the eighth hour and realized Stig was nowhere near Knockhill/got pulled over by the rozzers but got the go-ahead to continue past the eight hours? That would explain why they were still working at 5:35 pm. The part with the Stig at the end would serve, as at least one person in this thread has suggested, as a humourous re-telling (with the cooperation of the Fife police) of what happened to him.

That's your point of view, and respect to that.

But in another shot, the clock was at about 7 or so, that could mean they continue shooting the next day. Also the lights from the clear roof was brighter.
Also, with that much crowd in the circuit track, the coulds etc... that's a bit odd.

It is A FACT they do coverage shots of their races. A FACT mentioned several times in this thread, among other places on these boards.

Besides that, how do you know that when "the clock was at about seven or so" it wasn't seven o'clock the same day/evening?

In the end, it doesn't matter.

Anyway, I like this ep. Kinda underrated in the grand scheme of things, IMO. :nod:

I was at Knockhill for a track night the day this was recorded.
The Police are genuine Fife cops there was 2 BMW and a speed camera van the BMW was on track took the
winners of a Show and Shine for a spin.
When Clarkson takes the car through the pits my car can just be seen if you pause at 57:11 (Maroon Mini).
They stopped the session to film the bit on the finish line. I can be seen standing to the left of the marshals box.
The part with the Stig was filmed in a lay bay just out side the track I can here my car.

Niall

(edited to add...)

Spot on