Gran Turismo 5

GT5 is fun for me as well, but GT-PSP aside, it is the least amount of fun I've ever had with a Gran Turismo title.

I am an A-Spec man, I like to play offline, tune my cars and use them in the racing series the A-Spec mode offers me. But GT5 is not very good in any of that:

• there are not enough race series, often not enough races in the series, the track selections are pretty bad, and the financial result is much less than satisfying. I get prize cars only once, and the amounts of credits are to small
  • car tuning options are somewhat limited, you can hardly spoil a car by bad tuning anymore, only a handful of cars can be race modded
  • playing against the AI is no fun either, because it is only half done. In earlier GTs the AI was at least predictable, so I was able to set up my car that I had to put up a fight to win. When I do that in GT5, they take me out in the bends or brake in the middle of the straights
So what do I end up with? A game that could have been significantly better without any more effort by the producer. Had they just taken Prologue, added cars and tracks and an optically souped-up GT mode from GT4, this would have been a much better game for me. All the great things they obtained: WRC, Nascar, Top Gear and whatnot - all wasted in mediocre challenges which either are much too easy, too hard or simply make no sense at all.

When I am in cockpit view, racing my individually-tuned car around a history-charged track, GT5 is great! But as soon as I lift my head above the surface of this little universe, all those little foibles and and inconsistencies start hitting my face. That makes me think twice about doing that again, but playing through GT5 I hardly have a choice.

Last edited:
GT5 is fun for me as well, but GT-PSP aside, it is the least amount of fun I've ever had with a Gran Turismo title.

I am an A-Spec man, I like to play offline, tune my cars and use them in the racing series the A-Spec mode offers me. But GT5 is not very good in any of that:

• there are not enough race series, often not enough races in the series, the track selections are pretty bad, and the financial result is much less than satisfying. I get prize cars only once, and the amounts of credits are to small
  • car tuning options are somewhat limited, you can hardly spoil a car by bad tuning anymore, only a handful of cars can be race modded
  • playing against the AI is no fun either, because it is only half done. In earlier GTs the AI was at least predictable, so I was able to set up my car that I had to put up a fight to win. When I do that in GT5, they take me out in the bends or brake in the middle of the straights

So what do I end up with? A game that could have been significantly better without any more effort by the producer. Had they just taken Prologue, added cars and tracks and an optically souped-up GT mode from GT4, this would have been a much better game for me. All the great things they obtained: WRC, Nascar, Top Gear and whatnot - all wasted in mediocre challenges which either are much too easy, too hard or simply make no sense at all.

When I am in cockpit view, racing my individually-tuned car around a history-charged track, GT5 is great! But as soon as I lift my head above the surface of this little universe, all those little foibles and and inconsistencies start hitting my face. That makes me think twice about doing that again, but playing through GT5 I hardly have a choice.

The only tuning option I'm finding missing is gear ratios, but since the buttons are there, only disabled, I assumed you eventually unlock that somehow?

Otherwise there are actually more tuning options.... and yes, you can spoil a car. I was shocked at how much more driveable some of my cars are when I stopped making the suspension stupid hard (not very good at the whole tuning thing)

The only tuning option I'm finding missing is gear ratios, but since the buttons are there, only disabled, I assumed you eventually unlock that somehow?
You can't unlock that, it is a glitch. I suppose that the gearbox was supposed to be fully customizable, they just forgot to enable it. I hope this will be fixed by an update in the nearer future.

Otherwise there are actually more tuning options.... and yes, you can spoil a car. I was shocked at how much more driveable some of my cars are when I stopped making the suspension stupid hard (not very good at the whole tuning thing)
I was not referring to setting up the suspension. In Gran Turismo 1, you were even able to adjust the boost on a turbo car. And you were able to race-mod a lot of cars, not just 17 out of 1,031. And by spoiling a car, I mean that you slapped a huge-ass turbo on your engine and made it more or less undriveable with that. Great peak power, but useless in a race. You had to combine the correct turbo size with the correct intercooler with the correct boost, just like in real life. And before buying an individual part or changing settings, you were presented a power/torque graph with a before/after difference. That way you were able to judge what effect a specific part had, how much more power it generated and how it changed the curve progression.

Any why don't we have engine swaps? Why no Corvette engines in other cars, the Americans do it all the time!? Or the 2l TFSI or the 3.2l from VAG for other VAG cars. Also done in real life, easy as pie in a game, but not in Gran Turismo.

Why no wheel size/width options? These are the most basic things people change on their cars, and the "real driving simulator" ignores them for no apparent reason.

In GT5 you basically can't do wrong, the biggest turbo works fine on every car it is available for. You can not mis-tune a car power-wise. You just choose how much power you want and install the appropriate parts accordingly. Tuning has no depth whatsoever. You just buy packages and get more power, there is no way you can screw anything up. Earlier GTs had more options, and you had to combine them properly to get a good result.

One would think that the amount of tuning options would get more versatile in the later incarnations of Gran Turismo, but it is getting shallower with every new version.

Last edited:
Seconding everything the Interceptor said, the tuning in GT5 is a joke compared to 3, hopefully they add a lot more options in a later patch or something.

edit: I should add that I really like the game a lot, I'm just trying to figure out what took them 6 years to make it. As far as I can tell, the tracks are all the same, most of the cars are direct imports, and the tuning is bad.

Last edited:
Seconding everything the Interceptor said, the tuning in GT5 is a joke compared to 3, hopefully they add a lot more options in a later patch or something.

edit: I should add that I really like the game a lot, I'm just trying to figure out what took them 6 years to make it. As far as I can tell, the tracks are all the same, most of the cars are direct imports, and the tuning is bad.

You realize that since GT3 tuning has been a joke anyway? After tuning EVERY car, no matter how heavy or light, can corner at the same spit/maintain same grip levels. Game doesn't seem to account for things like cars having difference size tires or even weight all that well.

Intercepter, Engine swaps, between manufacturers, is obvious... licensing. The rest of your complaints are largely because PD is just fucking stupid. I finally bothered to try and change the wheels on a car, and you get what... 20 different wheel choices and they look like they've just been copied from GT3, not even 4!

Forza needs to get it's ass in gear and get a good steering wheel for a decent price! I think Forza is the superior game all around.

Last edited:
Intercepter, Engine swaps, between manufacturers, is obvious... licensing.
That's perfectly acceptable, but then they should at least enable engine swaps within the individual manufacturer model ranges.

When you buy engine upgrades, you can select and deselect them when you tune your car before a race and every time you select or deselect a part (filter, turbo, etc.), it shows you the power and torque graph and what differences those parts make.

Also, some of you are complaining that you have to grind for money to get certain cars. I understand that if you really like a certain car and want to race with it, but otherwise, it's pointless. I NEVER had to grind for money specifically because I had to grind for experience points and you get money when you grind for points anyway.

You guys have to be more efficient with your money (by using your cars and prize cars for as many events as possible, so you don't have to keep buying more cars, then selling the cars that you don't need anymore). I am currently on level 28.5 A-spec/17.5 B-spec and have 15.6 million cr. The most expensive car I bought so far was a Countach that I bought for around 100k, and in total, I probably bought only around 10-15 cars (and spent some extra on tuning them). The next car I have to buy is the Formula GT because it is required to complete an event, and since I saved up a lot of money, I won't have to grind to get the 5 million cr. that the FGT costs. ;)

Last edited:
I grind for money in order to tune cars for my B-spec racer. I rarely buy new cars, but those dummies can't drive for shit!

When you buy engine upgrades, you can select and deselect them when you tune your car before a race and every time you select or deselect a part (filter, turbo, etc.), it shows you the power and torque graph and what differences those parts make.

Also, some of you are complaining that you have to grind for money to get certain cars. I understand that if you really like a certain car and want to race with it, but otherwise, it's pointless. I NEVER had to grind for money specifically because I had to grind for experience points and you get money when you grind for points anyway.

You guys have to be more efficient with your money (by using your cars and prize cars for as many events as possible, so you don't have to keep buying more cars, then selling the cars that you don't need anymore). I am currently on level 28.5 A-spec/17.5 B-spec and have 15.6 million cr. The most expensive car I bought so far was a Countach that I bought for around 100k, and in total, I probably bought only around 10-15 cars (and spent some extra on tuning them). The next car I have to buy is the Formula GT because it is required to complete an event, and since I saved up a lot of money, I won't have to grind to get the 5 million cr. that the FGT costs. ;)

I'm about 22.5 in A and 21.5 in B and have 5.4mil (or close to that), and I haven't sold a single car lol

I grind because I go on shopping sprees in the used car lot. I want to own all 1031 cars, so every now and then, I just buy 5 or 6 used cars for the hell of it.

Just spent 5,260,000cr on a mint 787B. This car is savagely fast (sub 6 minutes at the ring easily) but the sound is done very poprly :( There is a VERY obvious, and short, loop that is played so you get this 'phaser' like sound at top speed. I really, really hope they fix the sound at some point. It also sounds like it has a horrible miss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNILs5iPiPg

then compare how buttery smooth the real car sounds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox2wgHqrNy0

It makes me sad, because the 3 rotor RE-Amemiya car sounds soooo GOOD. The bad sound of the 787B prevents it from being my favorite car...I can barely tolerate driving it for long lengths of time.

Same with the Type-R. Full race exhaust gives it a very annoying droning.

Same with the Type-R. Full race exhaust gives it a very annoying droning.

Full race on the ZR-1 corvette is laughably bad. Sounds like a sohc 4 cylinder breathing through a single carb, and an open cast iron exhaust manifold.

[video=youtube;-F8QlMrqoo0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F8QlMrqoo0[/video]

Nother' video from me. Just a way of saving money if you don't have the Chromeline Cobra / LP400 available. :)

That's perfectly acceptable, but then they should at least enable engine swaps within the individual manufacturer model ranges.

Still licensing issue there. Forza allows engine swaps, but some cars they won't allow it. All the BMW's for instance, this bugged me cause I REALLY wanted an S54 swapped e30 m3 :(

Honestly, I think what bugs me more than anything in this game is the engine sounds of anything not Japanese. I've never heard a stock or open exhaust Pre-74 American v8 while like a supercharger or a straight cut gearbox.
It's as if PD said "we are going to do all sorts of shit with the Japanese cars, cause their awesome! Anything else, we'll just put the exterior styling in and slap some random chassis code under it."

Well then. I put all my B-Spec drivers online (not knowing that they can't race while online), and not I can't pull them off. It just says "failed to update" when I try to unshare them.