Mass Effect 3

Relevant: BioWare co-founders to be inducted in the AIAS Hall of Fame.

It wasn't meant to be a first-person shooter. It's an action-rpg. I'm not going to argue against the option for either/or, but when hardly anyone is complaining about it, it won't be high on BioWare's priority list.

Yes no action RPG has had 1st person perspective before, not like Deus EX or Oblivion..

In any case I wasn't complaining, I was just stating that's how I like to shoot, without the body of my character getting in the way. I don't like 3rd person shooters for 2 simple reasons... I gotta stare at some guy's ass for the length of the game, and it feels kind of cheating to be able to see around corners when you really shouldn't be able to.

Don't get me wrong, I loved ME2 and I'll play ME3 even if its a Galaga-style shooting game.

Last edited:
In any case I wasn't complaining, I was just stating that's how I like to shoot, without the body of my character getting in the way. I don't like 3rd person shooters for 2 simple reasons... I gotta stare at some guy's ass for the length of the game, and it feels kind of cheating to be able to see around corners when you really shouldn't be able to.

There's an easy way to fix half that problem, and as a bonus, you get better voice acting for the duration of the game ;)

Elevators need to make a comeback. And I'm not the only one who thinks so.

+1 to the guy who said they were better than the copious loading screens in ME2. It's hard to argue that they're not. It not only added to the atmosphere, but it gave me a chance to listen to squad banter, and maybe hear about some side-quests. Loading screens add nothing.

I really liked the elevators as a replacement for loading screens. It made everything seem very seamless.

i didn't mind the elevators all that much, it added to the immersion of the game and its story with the squad talk or tannoy advertisements. i would gladly welcome them back, on the other hand i didn't mind the loading screens on ME2 either. Especially after unlocking the Normandy SR-2. Anything that makes me drool in the lines of the Normandy for a few minutes is worth putting up with load times for.

Mostly though i'll be happy anyway, i'm just glad that another Mass Effect game is on the horizon.

My prediction for the plot of ME3 (contains minor spoilers from ME1 and ME2):

You've either destroyed the Reaper-making platform or delivered it to the Illusive Man. And...uh oh! Turns out you're expendable. He deactivates your Lazarus Project implants, which would have killed you but for the quick action of Dr. Chakwas (class-choosing and face-configurator time!). Not sure who is on what side anymore, you start trying to put together the mystery of who the Illusive Man is. And the truth is this: he's not the most vigorous defender of humanity against the Reapers. He's a false flag. The Reapers took over the mind of a two-bit anarchist/terrorist (ever wonder why his irises are made out of electronics? Same reason Saren got covered in cybernetics as the Reapers took him over) and made Cerberus what it is today. He was using you, not to defeat the Reapers, but to help recover a stolen Reaper platform from the Collectors/Protheans, who had broken free of their Reaper enslavement and were planning on using the Reaper-ship they were building to attack the Reapers with their own technology.

Without Cerberus backing, you're now just a rogue badass who is trying to convince the galaxy of a coming apocalypse. Although you're able to put together a team by the time the Reapers arrive, you haven't convinced anyone in the galaxy.

The Reapers hit hard. First Turian space. With a salvaged SR-1 Normandy, you and your loyalists fly out to try to help, but it's no good. Turian refugees flee to other areas of space, but most are lost under the bombardment of the Reapers...and more sinister, their widespread capture of civilians and conversion into husks, scions, and other fighting machines.

The council listens. They help complete the repairs of the SR-1 and even make it better. They give you some resources to back your mission. You're a respected, active-duty Spectre again.

Then the Reapers hit Salarian space. Despite other Council races pouring in some ships to help, the same thing happens that happened to the Turians.

Then the Asari. The Reapers are unstoppable. A battleship even bigger than the Destiny Ascension fails, and it appears all hope is lost. But then, you find something out. Before the Salarian homeworld was wiped out, some Salarians came up with the superweapon you are going to need to destroy the Reapers. The genophage cure. Come on, they've been hinting at this since ME1. It's the only way that the Rachni Wars were won (when the Rachni were the Reapers' first servants in Council space). And an army of husks is nothing to a charging Krogan phalanx. Only problem? The genophage cure is in an abandoned laboratory on the Salarian homeworld in Reaper-controlled space. Guess who has to go behind enemy lines to retrieve it?

So you get the genophage cure, drop it off on Tchuchanka, and then receive the distress call that the Reapers appear to be headed to human space next. The human fleet and human armies won't be able to hold them off for a few years while the genophage cure works and a new generation of Krogan warriors is born. So you need to gather unlikely allies. The Rachni. The Vorcha. The remains of the Protheans (who admit the horribleness of what they were doing on that platform, but thought it was the only way to stop the Reapers from killing everyone in the galaxy).

Cut to the teaser trailer. The Reapers have landed on earth, and the husks are spreading like a zombie outbreak. Every human who falls becomes another footsoldier for the Reapers. Humans don't know if they're going to hold out. Then you come riding in with your motley army of Rachni, Vorcha, and Collectors. A great battle ensues for many months. You push the Reapers off-planet. You fly to Mars. Another long, drawn-out campaign, and you push them off-planet there. But they redouble their efforts, and it turns out that the great battle for humanity will occur ship-to-ship, boarding-party-to-boarding-party, out in the asteroid belt.

And the battle is not going well. You're taking high casualties, because the Reapers can use their ships AND their husks in perfect conjunction in this battle. When it appears all hope is lost, though, the cavalry arrive. Thousands of troop transports carrying Krogan warriors jumps in. The reapers are destroyed.

The council is rebuilt, and two new seats are awarded to the collectors and the krogan. The species of the universe worries about future war between Krogan, but at least they're there to discuss it. There were always be wars, but there will no longer be complete obliteration every few thousand years. The Reaper's cycle has been broken once and for all. Curtain.

Convincing, Mitlov, but I take issue with some of your points:

First, the Collectors were entirely under Reaper control. The Harbinger is proof enough, and regardless of which option you chose at the end, the Collectors are all dead.

Second, the SR-1 can't reasonably be salvaged. A new one could perhaps be built by either the Alliance or the turians, since it was a joint venture, but the Alliance doesn't trust you for working with Cerberus and if you let the council die, the turians aren't exactly friends, either.

Third, the reveal trailer hints that no one knew what was attacking Earth. If the Reapers took out the turians, salarians, and asari (which is completely logical, since they have fleets larger than the Alliance), humans would know what they were. It also has something going against it in that Harbinger was interested in humans in general and Shepard in particular. More likely, I think, is the Reapers using Cerberus to discredit anything you say and also turn the rest of the galaxy against humanity, so that they may disable the relays leading into human space and annihilate our kind before the rest of the galaxy is any wiser. If I have my galaxy map right, human space is bordered by turian space and the Terminus systems; the Terminus is lawless, somewhat disconnected from Council space, and can't put up any meaningful resistance against the Reapers. The turians won't exactly be your friends after any shenanigans Reaper-Cerberus pulls off, either.

And this is where your decisions in the first two games really show up. You have to convince the galaxy that the Reapers are behind anti-alien attacks by humanity and that we're actually soon-to-be victims of an insidious plot to isolate our slice of the Milky Way so the Reapers can kill us all and gain a galactic foothold to attack the other races.

Did you save Maelon's data on the genophage cure or discard it?
Did you let the council die or save them?
Did you encourage the Flotilla admirals to go to war with the geth or not?
Did you release the Rachni queen or kill her?
Did you kill Wrex or not?
How many of your crewmates died attacking the Collectors? Each one from a specific race becomes your ambassador to that race in trying to convince them to help humanity.

Should be a hugely entertaining game.

Nice analysis, Pelican. I'm not sold on point 2, but you're right on points 1 and 3.

As to point 1:

I had thought that Harbinger was the Collector-General, not a reaper controlling the Collector-General. Didn't realize some of the back-story about Harbinger. And I thought it was just the collectors on that platform, not all collectors, that were annihilated?

Second, the SR-1 can't reasonably be salvaged. A new one could perhaps be built by either the Alliance or the turians, since it was a joint venture, but the Alliance doesn't trust you for working with Cerberus and if you let the council die, the turians aren't exactly friends, either.

Should be a hugely entertaining game.

Problem with that is, the ship flies off in the end, and the crew are working towards fixing it. Besides, BioWare's already pulled the "Look! It's a new, improved ship for the harder fight!".

And I thought it was just the collectors on that platform, not all collectors, that were annihilated?

The way I understand it, the Collectors were all/mostly on that base, so there are very few left, if any. Only one ship was used to track Shepard, and they're rarely seen, so I figure they've got very few ships.

My lithos came a couple of days ago. Need to get some cool frames and hang them. They are so beautiful.