Don't like someone's driving? Report it to the DMV from your iPhone

Somebody please get a hold of Philip Inghelbrecht's license plate number and report him every chance they get.

Or better yet... post it on the internet.

I see no way this is actually legal. Some random busybody telling the DMV on you is in no way legal proof of anything.

What I can see is a bunch of lawsuits resulting from this if it actually does lead to people's insurance premiums being increased. Not to mention people wadding up their cars and doing much more dangerous things than they're actually trying to report people for, because the tards tried to use their phone while driving. Even with voice activation, its still goddamn dangerous. Hows that for a "beautiful outcome," Mr. Inghelbrecht?

I see no way this is actually legal. Some random busybody telling the DMV on you is in no way legal proof of anything.

Reporting someone to the DMV is perfectly legal. They don't have to issue a ticket without proper proof, obviously.

well yeah thats pretty much what I meant, that this couldn't be any legal basis for issuing a ticket, adding points to your driving record, or adjusting your insurance.

/wording fail

Haha. That app is like a bad joke. If it doesn't catch on, no wonder, and if it does, you guys are fucked.

Everyone should just report the app, people seem to forget that button exists.

Somebody please get a hold of Philip Inghelbrecht's license plate number and report him every chance they get.

There's an idea! Also, what if I call or text from Ohio to report my stupid ex every 5 minutes when he's in Texas? would they believe me? (I wouldn't do that, I'm really not that petty).

Also, if it's really anonymous, then how do they track your 'flags' and your stupid rank? I mean, if a person is reporting a zillion people every day, wouldn't that just show they they should be driving themselves, and not texting?

Sheesh.

Philip Inghelbrecht responded to all of Autoblog's comments:

Thanks Jeff for the article and everybody for their (often passionate) questions and comments. I will briefly try to address your concerns below.

SAFETY. DriveMeCrazy requires a single touch of a (big) button on the screen, the rest is voice-driven. We tested the user experience extensively, and even had people from road-safety organizations and government agencies giving us feedback. The overwhelming response is that DriveMeCrazy imposes minimal distraction, definitely less than dialing 1800-EXHAUST, 511 for traffic, or 911 for drunk drivers.

TICKETS/INSURANCE/DMV. In the US, cops cannot issue tickets and insurance companies cannot increase your premium based on DriveMeCrazy flags. Both (rightfully) operate in a strict legal framework which we are not part of. Our goal is simply pointing out the potentially bad drivers on the road. I realize that this isn?t very sensational, but similar programs have been very effective in reducing accident e.g. HERO in Washington State (lowest carpool violations nationwide), How?s my Driving stickers on trucks (reported 30% less accidents), Dial 911 for drunk drivers, etc. DriveMeCrazy does nothing more than leveraging a new platform (i.e. smartphone) to channel this.

VALIDATION. We have numerous checks and balances in place to detect malicious or frivolous use, and remove suspicious flags accordingly. A next version of the app will provide the flagger with instant feedback as to whether a flag is rejected or accepted.

Check out our FAQ at http://drivemecrazy.mobi/faq.php or email us and we will do our best to respond quickly. From the entire team at DriveMeCrazy, drive safely.

Philip ? CEO DriveMeCrazy

Less distracting than calling 911 for drunk drivers? Riigghhhttt.
Even if its all voice driven, you're talking to a computer thats writing things down, you have to check the screen to make sure its understanding all your voice commands for the right plate number, location, etc.

Last edited:
It's not one click.
One click to turn the phone on, then you need to slide the unlock bar, then you have to click it (assuming it is on the front page of apps, I think I have 6 or so pages on my ipod touch).
Yes, this causes a distraction, the reason I do not use my ipod touch in the car is one day I wanted to switch songs in it and swerved to the other side of the road while I was fiddling because A TOUCH SCREEN MEANS YOU HAVE TO LOOK.
A old fashioned phone has raised dots on the 5 key so it can be used by a blind person. Quickly looking at my cell phone shows that there is a raised dot above the send key as well. Also my Cell phone has this button on it for voice commands that is even easier to find, and since my phone cost me 30$ I doubt the average person would have a cell phone lower tech than this.

It's not one click.
One click to turn the phone on, then you need to slide the unlock bar, then you have to click it (assuming it is on the front page of apps, I think I have 6 or so pages on my ipod touch).
Yes, this causes a distraction, the reason I do not use my ipod touch in the car is one day I wanted to switch songs in it and swerved to the other side of the road while I was fiddling because A TOUCH SCREEN MEANS YOU HAVE TO LOOK.
A old fashioned phone has raised dots on the 5 key so it can be used by a blind person. Quickly looking at my cell phone shows that there is a raised dot above the send key as well. Also my Cell phone has this button on it for voice commands that is even easier to find, and since my phone cost me 30$ I doubt the average person would have a cell phone lower tech than this.

You want simple and low tech? I give you simple and low tech.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/06/johns-phone-review-the-worlds-simplest-cellphone/

The person who owns that would be an old man driving 9mph and the one who you would be calling the cops on. :p

TICKETS/INSURANCE/DMV. In the US, cops cannot issue tickets and insurance companies cannot increase your premium based on DriveMeCrazy flags. Both (rightfully) operate in a strict legal framework which we are not part of. Our goal is simply pointing out the potentially bad drivers on the road.

Pointing it out to who? If the cops and/or insurance companies can't do anything with the info...then who specifically will know and then supposedly "do something about it"?

I call BS on this:

As such, DriveMeCrazy is a fully searchable database of people's driving behavior and performance (based on vehicle license plates). Anybody, including law enforcement or insurance companies, can check a license plate and the registered driver's reputation on the road.

So the cops and insurance companies can't do anything with the info, so then why would they be looking it up?

Is the person who's supposedly a 'bad driver' be notified? If not, then what's the point to all of this?

Oh wait:

In short, our flags aren?t used to set premiums, but we sure do help the insurance companies by pointing out the potentially dangerous people on the road.

Yeah...and if this anonymous data that can be called/texted in by any loony out there for any reason..AND is just your word against some anonymous yahoo, but they think it can be used to get some more money out of you.

You bet your ass this will cause rates to go up.

And who will really be using this stupid app? Ahh, I see:

For good flags, we allow you (but you are not obliged) to share portions of your registration information (such as your profile picture or email address) with that hottie you flagged.

How can I get in touch with that cutie I saw on the road?

Be quick! Flag them as Good, give him or her a five-heart rating, leave a sweet audio message that will put Romeo to shame, and request to be connected. If you're lucky, Juliet may just get in touch with you. Adding a picture to your profile and a clean DriveMeCrazy driving record can't hurt your cause.
Can anybody listen to the cute messages I leave for a vehicle?

Cute or Good messages are only sent to that hottie who was flagged. Only he or she can pick up these messages when registering his/her license plate.

So this is really some kind of dating service? :p

Please tell me this bullshit app only exists in the Land Of The Free and doesn't work up here...

I realized something else that bothers me about this app. It was this morning while I was driving to work. The quickest way to get to my office is on a 2-lane (in each direction) highway, with a speedlimit of 65MPH and signs every hundred yards that say "Slower Traffic Keep Right". But it never fails that some retard driving exactly the speedlimit gets in the left lane and refuses to move over, which causes a massive bottleneck of traffic for a mile behind him. Which forces people to pass on the right, when there is a gap between big rigs and trailers, which is not exactly safe. If the fucktard causing this mess had this app, he would no doubt be reporting every single car that passes, for speeding, tailgating, passing on the right, etc. Whatever they can come up with. And no doubt every pissed off motorist stuck behind this illiterate dipshit would be reporting him for impeding traffic and ignoring posted traffic signs. And since I seriously doubt anyone will be reporting every car they see driving the speedlimit and using their turn signals properly, the vast majority of these reports will be negative. I think the end result of these reports will find that every single driver on the road is a danger to everyone around them and should have their license revoked.

Another similar app is faildriver at http://faildriver.com

Drivemecrazy is marketing itself as a social networking app, "Flag bad drivers and hold them responsible. Or message the cute ones."

More than creepy, and seriously flawed. I don't want untrained anonymous observers flagging me because they THINK I'm driving too fast. I've had sports cars that got yelled at in residential areas because the morons THOUGHT I was driving too fast.

Personally I find the drivers who get frustrated with how badly others drive are pretty crap if not worse offenders themselves. Maybe this app would best serve the public if it actually activated the front facing camera instead.