The one that got away

Same with the Jag XJ-S...
JAGUAR-XJS-4-0---1994-1996-.jpg

And thats if anyone can even afford to fuel these cars by the time I'm in my 30s! :lol:

Fuck that. If you're buying an XJS go all the way.

Lister-Jaguar-XJS-700-bhp.jpg

YESSS! One of my dream cars to.

Oh, I thought this thread was about women :lol:

1995_BMW_850_CSi.JPG

The 8 Series, more specifically the 850CSi. Was basically my first love (automotively that is) as a teenager, when I started to become interested in cars.

I remember how cheaply they could be had at the time, but I had neither a drivers license nor several grand to spare. Since then they seem to have nearly doubled in price, and I think they will continue to appreciate.

With increasing tax on displacement/power/emissions, and increasing fuel prices, and the increasing value of this car, and the fact that it's not a particularly great car, I doubt I will ever own this 27.2l/100km guzzling monster.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/40/1995_BMW_850_CSi.JPG[IMG][/QUOTE]

One hot car right there, its on my list too, here are some of my favorites :
[IMG]http://www.analogstereo.com/images/om/audi_rs6.jpg
mercedes-500e-automobilesdeluxe.jpg

Mercedes 500E, so beautiful, so rare, a great collaboration between Porsche and Mercedes
2008%20Range%20Rover%20Vogue.jpg

I love Range Rovers, but their reliability scares me :( But I might still buy one if I ever have the money for the car and the maintenance
BMW-Z4-1.jpg

Love Z4's

and a Z3 M Coupe

Some of you might recall the George Barris created wide body Firebirds of the late '70s/early '80s, in particular the "Travolta Fever" car which was a kind of celebration, tribute to Travolta's Saturday Night Fever and Urban Cowboy movies. This was in conjunction with a Revell glue kit of the time, absolutely love those bias belted 60 profile Mohawks!:cool:

One of the wide body cars was the yellow machine below. This car was featured in the Steve Martin movie The Jerk. Also, murdered 1980 Playboy Playmate Dorothy Stratten posed for some pictures with the yellow car before her untimely death. She was really beautiful.:(

PontiacFirebirdTravolta4.jpg

i002521.jpg

A mk1 GTI pirelli edition:

503796616_0272b33a43.jpg

what a hoot that'd be.
cl

also, an XB falcon. bod-style doesn't matter at all as long as I get a manual and a cleveland.

800px-Ford_XB_Fairmont_GS_V8_02.jpg

19463-2001-BMW-740i.jpg

This one really did get away from me :(

04_nyas_01+2005_land_rover_lr3+front_side_view.jpg

i do love these things, gas guzzling with unreliable reputation, I still want one

The one that got away?

<insert Lexus joke here>

Nothing really got away from me, but my old man used to race a Mini Cooper S but decided to sell it when he made us kids. Bad decision.

3288243239_a31fe1a337.jpg

And he bought a Ford Fairmont. For the same money he could have bought a Falcon GT, which go for hundreds of thousands these days. Worse decision.

lrg_article_17273-img_0.jpg

So, yeah. I should have inherited either of those cars.

http://img844.imageshack.**/img844/4309/benz0025.jpg
http://img217.imageshack.**/img217/7640/benz0031.jpg

Bare with me:

-The damage you see is only bodywork and cooling system, the steering was OK
-It was nearly rust free
-It's a wagon

And even if that damage was fixed by a shop it probably would have been the same money my current car cost- that way it went to the eastern block for 50! ?.
But back then i didnt care about cars, otherways it may have been here today :(

And even if that damage was fixed by a shop it probably would have been the same money my current car cost- that way it went to the eastern block for 50! ?. [/QUOTE]

Many good Cars are going east or towards africa, leaving new spaces for new good cars, its better than beeing crushed, not all east europeans or africans treat their cars bad you know, they are happy to have a good car, rather than a flaky Samara. ;)

Many good Cars are going east or towards africa, leaving new spaces for new good cars, its better than beeing crushed, not all east europeans or africans treat their cars bad you know, they are happy to have a good car, rather than a flaky Samara. ;)

I didn't insist they treat them bad, the thing is I too want such a car
Also I think the older the better, atleast if its a benz or some kind of american car ;) (well expept for fuel economy)

and errr.. whats a flaky samara, google won't tell me :(

I didn't expect to see a Samara in this thread :p

It isn't considered much now (Clarkson attacked one belonging to an owner's club member in the studio), but in the late '70s, early '80s the 280ZX was something of an icon and a Corvette alternative in turbo form. I remember reading Paul Newman had a 400 hp modfied 280ZX. Yes, I would like to have had one of those too.:cool:

Datsun 280ZX

This looks like a Volvo gearstick...

It is. I recognise it and the dash from my mum's S40.

There are many cars that got away from me, but I'll focus on two of them, because I like them since my early childhood and they're both from the same era. Besides I don't wanna burst into tears while posting pictures of super and sports cars lol, so I'll only post 2 'ordinary' ones. The one is a French hatchback (Renault 14), and the other is a German sedan from BMW:

1. I fell in love with it's unusual (for the late 70s/early 80s that is) shape the moment I saw it. However it was produced way before my time. Besides, they are rust-prone:
renault_12.jpg

I still imagine what would it be like going around town in one of these. They are so rare these days, I guess there are only a few in my country. :( It's not sporty, but its exterior design is quite funky for a late 70s car. Rumor has it that Peugeot used some design cues from its shape on their 306. Ironically, it had a Peugeot engine. ;)

2. I've always regarded the BMW 3d series (E21), produced around the same time as the R14 (1976-1983) as a cool car:
i061370.jpg

I like it way more than the overrated E30! The E30 is too bland for my taste design-wise, although it is more advanced technically. The front of the E21 is more dynamic-looking IMHO than that of the E30; it looks as if it's in motion all the time. The E21 is the BMW that best matches my taste and the BMW I like the most. The same that applies to the Renault 14 applies here - I would never, ever buy a BMW E21, because maintaining such an old car is costly these days. Besides, there are not many left.

Conclusion: My taste is stuck in the late 70s/early 80s for the most part LOL. So bad I didn't experience that era (I was born in '88).

Last edited:
There are many cars that got away from me, but I'll focus on two of them, because I like them since my early childhood and they're both from the same era. Besides I don't wanna burst into tears while posting pictures of super and sports cars lol, so I'll only post 2 'ordinary' ones. The one is a French hatchback (Renault 14), and the other is a German sedan from BMW:

1. I fell in love with it's unusual (for the late 70s/early 80s that is) shape the moment I saw it. However it was produced way before my time. Besides, they are rust-prone:
renault_12.jpg

I still imagine what would it be like going around town in one of these. They are so rare these days, I guess there are only a few in my country. :( It's not sporty, but its exterior design is quite funky for a late 70s car. Rumor has it that Peugeot used some design cues from its shape on their 306. Ironically, it had a Peugeot engine. ;)

2. I've always regarded the BMW 3d series (E21), produced around the same time as the R14 (1976-1983) as a cool car:
i061370.jpg

I like it way more than the overrated E30! The E30 is too bland for my taste design-wise, although it is more advanced technically. The front of the E21 is more dynamic-looking IMHO than that of the E30; it looks as if it's in motion all the time. The E21 is the BMW that best matches my taste and the BMW I like the most. The same that applies to the Renault 14 applies here - I would never, ever buy a BMW E21, because maintaining such an old car is costly these days. Besides, there are not many left.

Conclusion: My taste is stuck in the late 70s/early 80s for the most part LOL. So bad I didn't experience that era (I was born in '88).

The link between the e21 and the 2002 was pretty strong in that the e21 was also a 2 door only model. By the time of the e30 BMW started to diversify, and not always for the better.

The Renault 14 was famously displayed as a bare shell in France's Pompidou Center in the mid '70s as a publicity teaser.

They say the '70s was the time of the wedge, but it had plenty of round cars too, like the Allegro and Pacer.:cool:

Pacer X

mpc78pacer1.jpg