James May's Man Lab

^ had to youtube that one .. but Holst is definitely in there, especially in the electronic bit at about 1:40 in.

^ had to youtube that one .. but Holst is definitely in there, especially in the electronic bit at about 1:40 in.

That's three minutes of your life you'll never get back, Gerfix

That's three minutes of your life you'll never get back, Gerfix

Only listened to 2 mins worth .. but with my typing speed .. you are probably right :(

Wait, was this thing a 3 part only? :blink:

Seems so. Fat lot of good it was too ... he still hasn't told me how to tie my shoelaces, or whether I should use a four-in-hand or Windsor knot for my tie ... and that zip thing on my pants? Should it be up or down?? After all he promised, I feel totally abandoned.

Last edited:
As mentioned earlier, this was basically a pilot. If they get recommissioned, I imagine a future series will be longer

And hopefully better directed. I've always been a fan of James May, but this series just had a feel of mediocity.
The direction, the research, basically the entire show seemed to have been done with an attitude of "that'll do".

And hopefully better directed. I've always been a fan of James May, but this series just had a feel of mediocity.
The direction, the research, basically the entire show seemed to have been done with an attitude of "that'll do".

It like the recent Top Gear Apocalypse DVD makes me think "they did that to show THEIR version of the world in their eyes", which is all well and good because they're famous :) I take these shows like entertainment and not serious consumer advice - the Top Gear trio are not there for this purpose!

I'm hoping to incorporate the notion of garage cooking in a forthcoming TV series

The above is quoted from James's current DT column and he's reiterated it in the comments section. As this sounds like a "Manlab"-ish concept, I would guess that a second series is in the offing after all.

Maybe the British viewers will know this off hand but who is Gemma in episode 3? I thought I recalled seeing her in an episode of TG once upon a time as well. Is she from the BBC?

I don't remember a Gemma. What did she do?

She was the model in the plumber movie. Was she also the one from the steamy back windows shot with Clarkson on TG a few seasons back? I can't remember anymore...

Don't think it's the same girl, Perihelion. But you need someone with every episode on file to confirm that.

I quite enjoyed this series, it was a good watch although some things seemed a bit strange - but then I am a woman with obviously no idea what goes on inside the brains of men.

It's the first movement of Dvorak's New World Symphony
Amie8,
THANK YOU VERY,VERY,VERY MUCH!!!
Man,you don't know how much I have looked for this...I thought it was Wagner or Richard Strauss.
If you are ever in Bucuresti, I'll buy you a beer!
Thank you again!
PS:damn mail notification only announced now that someone has replied to thread (aaurora )

Last edited:
Amie8,
THANK YOU VERY,VERY,VERY MUCH!!!
Man,you don't know how much I have looked for this...I thought it was Wagner or Richard Strauss.
If you are ever in Bucuresti, I'll buy you a beer!
Thank you again!
PS:damn mail notification only announced now that someone has replied to thread (aaurora )

You're welcome

Come on guys. Some of you must have been in a band! We need our FG moles inside the Man Lab! :D