Random Thoughts....

Just thought I'd take a moment to say "fuck you, stanford university registrar" and to a lesser extent, "fuck you, Continental Airlines."

I just lost my wallpapering virginity.

Out of the top five fastest Big Mac earners four are US cities, only Tokyo tops them.

That obviously does not apply to rural regions, but suggests food is not very expensive relative to wages in the US.

One of the problems with the Big Mac index is that it's misleading, as it does not factor in the different pricing policies of McDonalds in different regions of the world.

In the U.S. McDonald's is among the cheapest foods available, in many cases even cheaper than home-cooking (we had a debate about the perils of losing weight while being unable to afford anything but McD last year in this thread) while over here McDonalds is relatively expensive compared to other fast food outlets, frozen food and, of course, home-cooking.

This means that even if a Big Mac is cheaper (and thus, faster-earned) in the U.S. than in Euroland, it does not mean food in general is.

I could not find any reliable and free statistics comparing the cost of a basket of standard household foodstuff (eggs, butter, milk, some pasta, potatoes, rice, etc) between different parts of the world so far.

I just lost my wallpapering virginity.

Congrats to this feat of DIYness!

I find food in the US to be bigger and cheaper than anywhere else I've been, in addition the service is way better because they want their tip

So I walked around the general area where I'm living, and found that I'm less than a 5 minute walk from a SuperValu, 2 Chinese and Indian takeaways, 2 pubs, post office, pharmacies, chippers (that does pizzas aswell), various doctor and dentist surgeries, and am a 30 minute walk (give or take) from work.

Also I have a bus stop just outside my estate, and 2 DART stations nearby. God I love Dublin.

What's DART stand for btw because the train in nor cal is called BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) lol.

What's DART stand for btw because the train in nor cal is called BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) lol.

Dublin Area Rapid Transport :p

So I just got the 3rd phonecall from Mum of the day.

The 1st one was to see how I got on on my first night in the house. The 2nd was to let me know that I forgot my box of rice cakes in the car. And the 3rd one, just now was to hold the phone to the cat, so I could hear her purring (I kind of half jokingly asked her to do this for me when they got her home from the cattery, so that's kind of my fault)

Each phonecall she has been giving me the 3rd degree on everything from what I bought in SuperValu earlier, did I hear from my brother, what did I have for lunch, dinner, etc, was I talking to the housemate (the one she met yesterday, the other 2 are meant to be home tonight), what did he have for dinner (seriously), etc etc etc.

*sigh* Mums :rolleyes:

Aw, her baby is gone and she doesn't know what to do.

It's kinda funny though, I don't actually phone my parents that often, every time I think I should my mom will inevitably phone me either that day or the next.

Also, be prepared for her to clean your house every time she visits. I don't know why moms do this, but both my mom and my friends' mom have cleaned my house, in spite of me saying that I really don't need them to. Eventually I just gave up.

Last edited:
Yay - I'm getting out of this below freezing weather and head back to LA and San Diego. Granted, I'm going to visit the family, but I'm looking forward to a proper California burrito, pho, and Taiwanese foodz.

Aw, her baby is gone and she doesn't know what to do.

It's kinda funny though, I don't actually phone my parents that often, every time I think I should my mom will inevitably phone me either that day or the next.

Also, be prepared for her to clean your house every time she visits. I don't know why moms do this, but both my mom and my friends' mom have cleaned my house, in spite of me saying that I really don't need them to. Eventually I just gave up.

I'm terrified of her seeing the microwave. It. Is. FILTHY!! I am almost inclined to clean it myself, mainly because I am my Mother's daughter, also there seem to be small, dark, slightly curly hairs in there :blink:

Sweet muddar of God, I cooked my Uncle Ben's rice in that pubic microwave :vomit:

In the U.S. McDonald's is among the cheapest foods available, in many cases even cheaper than home-cooking (we had a debate about the perils of losing weight while being unable to afford anything but McD last year in this thread) while over here McDonalds is relatively expensive compared to other fast food outlets, frozen food and, of course, home-cooking.

This means that even if a Big Mac is cheaper (and thus, faster-earned) in the U.S. than in Euroland, it does not mean food in general is.

I could not find any reliable and free statistics comparing the cost of a basket of standard household foodstuff (eggs, butter, milk, some pasta, potatoes, rice, etc) between different parts of the world so far.
McDonalds is probably the best source of food if you are homeless. The dollar menu can buy an entire meal for you, usually if I go I get a double cheeseburger and fries which the internet tells me is a whopping 780 calories. That can last me two meals depending on how hungry I am that day (it's lasted me 1 or three on some) and would cost me about 2.35$ including tax.
I am pretty sure if I did the math out if I buy pasta, sauce, and cheese in the cheapest bulk it would cost around the same as that but it does require a stove, water, and a refrigerator. On a related note, it's bad that I can estimate the cost of that down to about 50? of error isn't it? :|
I may eat too much pasta.

People still do that? :blink:

Only when they need smooth walls to paint and lining paper is a fuck sight cheaper than a plasterer. Plus there is a current trend for papered feature walls here atm and I figured I might as well get some practice in for when MWF HQ relocates to its new bunker some time later this year. After all I'll be recruiting a new super sexy lady sidekick so will need a suitable venue to conduct .....er......... interviews. ;)

I'm terrified of her seeing the microwave. It. Is. FILTHY!! I am almost inclined to clean it myself, mainly because I am my Mother's daughter, also there seem to be small, dark, slightly curly hairs in there :blink:

Sweet muddar of God, I cooked my Uncle Ben's rice in that pubic microwave :vomit:

How do pubes get in a microwave :blink:

I suggest just throwing it out completely. Microwaves are cheap, and seriously pubes what the fuck?

How do pubes get in a microwave :blink:

I suggest just throwing it out completely. Microwaves are cheap, and seriously pubes what the fuck?

I will be very relieved if one of my housemates turns out to have a big, dark beard.

Your microwave scares me. I suggest throwing it out the window and buying a new one that someone did not try to have sex with. You can probably identify the culprit by which has a radioactive crotch.

Your microwave scares me. I suggest throwing it out the window and buying a new one that someone did not try to have sex with. You can probably identify the culprit by which has a radioactive crotch.

Or goes "ping" when he has finished peeing.....