Inception

Just watched this today. I didn't have any expectations as I had not been following the hype; all I had was a vague interpretation to the effect of, "it's about controlling dreams and stuff."

Having said that, I think it's about the best movie I've seen since The Matrix or, at least, the best I've seen in a long time. I love movies that force you to think; not that it was unfathomable (the director did a good job of showing you the "you are here" point on the map most of the time), but it's not a movie you could skim through.

About the ending: yes, we're not supposed to know, but I'm going with "he's back in reality" on the basis that the top begins to wobble. Remember that, in the dream, it was completely and indefinitely stable.

I thought this movie was terrible. Thats just my personal opinion. It could be because my friend would not shut up during the movie and kept explaining everything so there was no suspense or anything left.

On a side note, I think that he was stuck in limbo at the end because even though the top started to wobble, it was spinning for a long time. Just my two cents.

Oh, yeah, and Ellen Page ruined it for me. All I can think of when I see her is "hipster movie". I can't take her seriously as an actor.

It could be because my friend would not shut up during the movie and kept explaining everything so there was no suspense or anything left.
Yeah, that'll do it :\

On a side note, I think that he was stuck in limbo at the end because even though the top started to wobble, it was spinning for a long time. Just my two cents.
Did you not have a spinning top as a child? ;)

A top will easily spin for that long if you start it off correctly.

Last edited:
The thing about Ellen Paige and her character was that she was completely replaceable. She was simply the character who either gave all the nitty gritty details in layman's terms, or prompted others to explain it to her, by being the one who asked all the questions.

But yeah, she looked seriously out of place in the movie.

That and I fucking hated Juno, and I kept expecting her to take out a hamburger phone.

The thing about Ellen Paige and her character was that she was completely replaceable. She was simply the character who either gave all the nitty gritty details in layman's terms, or prompted others to explain it to her, by being the one who asked all the questions.

But yeah, she looked seriously out of place in the movie.
Indeed. One of very few weaknesses in the whole film was her casting.

[accuracy-nerd mode]

One other weakness or logical inconsistency: when Fischer (the son) was killed by Mal in the level 3 dream (snow & mountains), why did he drop into limbo? Remember, they're only sedated in reality -- the level 1 dream (van & warehouse) -- and later awaken and killed in the level 3 and level 2 dreams near the end of the film, so we're given to understand that the sedation is not inherited property into the embedded dreams. Therefore, when he was killed by Mal in level 3 should have woken up in the level 2 dream, not dropped into limbo. But, I suppose that Arthur convincing him to rejoin the dream wasn't as convenient to a dramatic plot ;)

Given that he did drop into limbo instead, how did Kobb and hispter-girl join him? I guess you can just dream yourself into someone's limbo? Seems like a plot hole to me or, "oops, something we forgot to explain."

[/accuracy-nerd mode]

limbo was a shared dream state which was filled with the stuff whoever was last there left behind, because Cobb was the only one to have ever gone there within the group it was "his" limbo which they all appeared in.

Each time they needed to go down another level they were sedated again which meant they wouldn't wake up in the upper dream level in the same way they wouldn't wake up straight back to reality.

wait, did that make any sense?

Each time they needed to go down another level they were sedated again which meant they wouldn't wake up in the upper dream level in the same way they wouldn't wake up straight back to reality.
I understood that they weren't sedated...

they were "kicked" in level 3, awaken then killed
they were "kicked" in level 2, awaken then killed
they were "kicked" in level 1, awaken in reality when the 10 hours was up

it was timed so that the sedation in the upper level had worn off, allowing them to wake up when killed. If the sedation hadn't worn off when they were killed they would have gone to limbo.

I don't know ... I found Inception quite complicated, but then I watched it while browsing the internet, so I didn't really pay attention all the time. Also, I found the movie somewhat cold and uninvolving, kind of technically correct but without a soul. I guess I need to properly watch it a second time.

I dearly hope that the BBC secures the national rights to Inception, ads every 20 mins would make it incomprehensible.

...but then I watched it while browsing the internet, so I didn't really pay attention all the time.
Uh... yeah, that'll do it ;)

This is one of those movies that you may need to watch twice (paying attention both times) to fully understand.

I dearly hope that the BBC secures the national rights to Inception, ads every 20 mins would make it incomprehensible.

On a similar note, they showed The Return of the King on a local TV station and it took 5 hour with commercials :lol: