Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Yeah, Protons are horrid. And we get some Chinese cars here, although not many people are stupid enough to buy them. The difference is that they aren't unreliable, for example the Chinese cars use ancient Mitsubishi van mechanics so they are unrefined and powerless but at least durable. But then they're ugly, badly made and terrible to drive.

Similar for Proton, the quality is just not up to scratch, nor are the dynamics, or even the price these days. There is no reason to buy a Proton any more.

Yeah, I laugh every time that Great Wall ad comes on with the guy crying coz he paid $35000 for his 4wd when he could've paid $25000 for a Great Wall. Whatever :p. I could get a second hand HiLux or Colorado D-Max for that price and I'd still be ahead.

Yeah, I laugh every time that Great Wall ad comes on with the guy crying coz he paid $35000 for his 4wd when he could've paid $25000 for a Great Wall. Whatever :p. I could get a second hand HiLux or Colorado D-Max for that price and I'd still be ahead.

And a second hand Rodeo is simply a properly put together and better looking version of the Great Wall with an engine from the 21st century. I'd much rather have that even if it does have 2 years of builders sweaty bum on the driver's seat.

I was curious about the ads you were talking about, found these. I assume this is more accurate?

So I had to take my sister's car tonight to get take out, she has a Chevy Cobalt. Good Lord that thing is dreadful to drive, why the hell is it like 5 turns lock to lock? the windshield is at such a low angle and the seat doesn't go low enough to sit back and see the road ahead so I drove the whole way craning my head. It flops around on bumps and it has terrible roll. There is no feel in the steering which doesn't help with going lock to lock because I had no idea where the wheels were pointing.
The Cobalt is just like a Corolla -horrible in every single way but really light so its actually somewhat fun to toss around and explore the (very low) limits

Ah crap, it is time to renew my car's registration but I realized I forgot to inform the DMV that I changed my address 6 months ago. I hope they don't notice when I go in tomorrow to let them know it has changed :p

What is it with you and terrible cars? :p :mrgreen:

I'm a masochist. :p Nah, my car interests lie all over the place tbh. Whether it's the crappiest of crapboxes or supercars, I'll manage to find something that's redeeming about them. I guess you could say I'm not terribly picky?! :D

Scary thought: Imagine a car that's even worse, and also smaller. You've got an Aveo.

That steering is amazing though, I didn't think it was possible to have steering with less feedback than a Dualshock before.

Did it put a smile on your face? /runs

Thankfully that ad was so terrible that it only lasted a few weeks.

The people who do Holden's website are creative. From the Barina page, this is how they describe the styling:

At the front, the hatch's bold fascia design blends smoothly into the bonnet and sweeps up towards the side vents. Envious eyes have just enough time to take in the subtle side curves before the realisation there's a tightly styled back end, topped with a sporty rear spoiler and eye catching rear lights, dashing around the next corner.

Or in other words, it's shit.

Last edited:

Those Shit Wall ads make me rage every time they come on.
NO IT'S NOT GOOD AT ALL, IT'S GREAT HURR DURR gtfo....

Even worse is seeing some dumbarse who's bought one :\

^if it can do everything, it's no fun either

there should be some challenge involved :)

I think they have about 9 feet of cargo space behind the front seats. It will easily fit a sheet of plywood (4'x8'), not sure about height though.

Last edited:
I was at work yesterday when I noticed another Honda Civic parked next to me had wheel locks on his wheels. But his car didn't have alloys. Just steelies with dull gray plastic hubcaps. :blink: I thought that was strange, but then I started noticing that he wasn't the only one. Seems strange. Do the get stolen to be sold as scrap metal or something? I've never bothered with wheel locks before, because I never considered my wheels to be worth stealing.

I was at work yesterday when I noticed another Honda Civic parked next to me had wheel locks on his wheels. But his car didn't have alloys. Just steelies with dull gray plastic hubcaps. :blink: I thought that was strange, but then I started noticing that he wasn't the only one. Seems strange. Do the get stolen to be sold as scrap metal or something? I've never bothered with wheel locks before, because I never considered my wheels to be worth stealing.

There's this one place out in the boonies where I used to live, where this guy has like a crap ton of car hubcaps for sale...it' was weird but added to the charm I guess.

It would be a favor if someone took someone else's hub-caps. Now-a-days they're all plastic pieces of Walmart/Pep Boys carbage-bling right from the factory. I think black steel wheels without caps look better.

Is my utter disgust with hub-caps irrational? Because I really despise them for their (seeming) uselessness, on top of looking dumb.