Official 2011 Formula 1 Pre-Season Thread

In other news, Jonathan Legard will no longer be commentating on F1 for BBC TV. Expect Brundle to be moved up to lead commentator (he has been commentating for 15 years, so he's good enough for the job) and DC added in the commentary box.

JL's Twitter message that confirms his departure:

Life moves on. Ask Nick Heidfeld or @narainracing. You never know what's next. To the critical and the complimentary, thanks for the company

Yep, it's confirmed. DC will take time to get used to it, but I think this is a good move. I always had probems choosing between the BBC and 5Live commentaries cause of Legard drivel, but now it's all good....

DC!!!!

muwahahaha, best bit of news in a while : )

I just hope Martin hasn't caught the "down-the-hill-round-the-corner-and-up-the-other-side-can-he-do-it-yes-he-can-that's-not-what-he-wanted" disease in the two years he had to spend alongside Mr. Up The Hill.

Urgh, DC's fine in the pit-lane but come on, put Crofty and even Anthony D in with Brundle. The 5Live commentary (which features them) is still miles better, it just needs Brundle to be perfect. They're already employees of the BBC.

And yes I'm going to post this again;

DC wouldn't have been my ideal choice either, but anyone has to better than bloody Legard! I won't have to mute the TV anymore when I get to the 'about to punch the screen in a useless effort to make Jonathan STFU!' level of annoyance.

Didn't Brundle used to manage DC? And DC is still affiliated with Red Bull is he not? This is a strange decision that I can't work out. I dont find DC terribly interesting either. Brundle is beginning to annoy me with his high and mighty attitude as well. This is clearly about what he wants, not what's best for the BBC or F1.

He knows as well as we know that he HAS to stay impartial to commentate properly. There will obviously be a continuation of support to Brit drivers, but it's a Brit TV company so what did you expect?

Brundle is beginning to annoy me with his high and mighty attitude as well.

I never had a problem with Martin, and probably never will. I find that he is most probably the most unbiased F1 pundit on the paddock, that shows a general interest in all talented drivers.

If it wasn't for Martin's in depth analysis on the whole F1 grid, Most BBC viewers probably can't even recognise drivers like Rosberg, Massa, Kubica etc..

Bring on the 2011 season, I can't fucking wait!

Also slightly worried about DC's ability as main commentator :/

MadCow809 said:
If it wasn't for Martin's in depth analysis on the whole F1 grid, Most BBC viewers probably can't even recognise drivers like Rosberg, Massa, Kubica etc..
True. His pre-race pit-walk is worth watching just for when he barges in ahead of a smaller TV station for the interview :D.

And yes I'm going to post this again;
Well, you've convinced me.

Last edited:
No personal quips with Legard, but I'm just glad he's gone no matter who replaces him. He seems to be a nice guy and obviously does try very hard, but he just doesn't have the charisma to be a commentator. I honestly found it extremely difficult to watch F1 with his commentary.

F1.com said:
Formula One fans can look forward to watching television coverage in High Definition this year after Formula One Management announced that all broadcasters will receive an HD feed for 2011.

From the season-opening Bahrain Grand Prix in March, coverage of all 20 rounds - including all practice sessions and support events - will be originated in HD, with the international feed then offered throughout the world at a data rate of 42 Megabits/second (MPEG-2).

Yay!

Full article here

Yes I will be :). I just woke up with a massive hangover and went 'fuck I think I'm going to the Malaysian GP'.

And Goondu86 I used to live in Kuala Lumpur so I know all about the weather :) Ideally I'd like to go to something like the Japanese GP but I managed to book the whole trip (flights, hotels, transfers, GP tickets sitting at the first corner in a covered grandstand) for less than 800 Australian, which is a bit of a bargain.

I've booked to go to Melbourne (air fares and grandstand tickets paid) and it will cost me about 800 all up. :| (once i pay for hotel)