Food! [The thread that started this section]

A pack of cards always gives me a boner.

I love noodle bingo...

http://img821.imageshack.**/img821/336/35905045.jpg

The front, ok...

http://img87.imageshack.**/img87/3277/90700758.jpg

The back... WTF? :lol:

http://img21.imageshack.**/img21/1208/31656753.jpg

Remember one of the key tenets of ramen: the more bizarro flavor packets, the better it tastes.

[More here. (Shameless plug!)]

One of them said 'Oriental Flavour', the back said cuttlefish and shrimp... thankfully they tasted bland.

Look what the popstar was hiding...

http://img155.imageshack.**/img155/9459/47672706.png

Circular... :blink:

I had Chipotle for dinner tonight, one last time for old times sake as this is hopefully my last night in the US. :cry:

It really hit the spot too, nothing like walking into a familiar chain when you're in a strange, unknown city... takes you right back.

I shall really miss Chipotle, and the general variety of decent fast food available to Americans. I guess it's back to eating tasteless steamed burritos from Steamrollers for me.

167350_481903137796_685622796_6457488_6189178_n.jpg

Insalata Caprese I made (well, assembled) on saturday night - tomatoes, buffalo mozarella and fresh basil. Perfect summer food.

Look what the popstar was hiding...

http://img155.imageshack.**/img155/9459/47672706.png

Circular... :blink:

Circular isn't unusual, you're used to those square noodle packs but many asian makers do a round which I liked better because *big shock* it fit better in a round bowl when you added the hot water...

I had Chipotle for dinner tonight, one last time for old times sake as this is hopefully my last night in the US. :cry:

Where you moving to?

And did you ever try any of the Kogi, Calbi, or other 'asian taco truck' fusion burritos that have been the rage in LA?

Last edited:
167350_481903137796_685622796_6457488_6189178_n.jpg

Insalata Caprese I made (well, assembled) on saturday night - tomatoes, buffalo mozarella and fresh basil. Perfect summer food.

Looks good, what did you drizzle on top? olive oil? basalmic?

in te summer i eat that almost every day. excellent salad type dish.

just made hummus-like bean dip out of cannellini beans, olive oil, preserved lemons and garlic.

Where you moving to?

And did you ever try any of the Kogi, Calbi, or other 'asian taco truck' fusion burritos that have been the rage in LA?

Back to rainy ass Vancouver in cold ass Canada. :( There is a serious lack of affordable-but-decent food in Vancouver.

I never got to try any good local food in LA that wasn't a chain - didn't make any friends to show me around and the relatives I had planned on spending time with ended up being too busy having their heads stuck up their asses.

Back to rainy ass Vancouver in cold ass Canada. :( There is a serious lack of affordable-but-decent food in Vancouver.

I never got to try any good local food in LA that wasn't a chain - didn't make any friends to show me around and the relatives I had planned on spending time with ended up being too busy having their heads stuck up their asses.

I thought vancouver has a boatload of great, affordable food...just all asian cuisine. I don't know cause I've never been, just what my Vcouver friends try to sell on me.

I thought vancouver has a boatload of great, affordable food...just all asian cuisine. I don't know cause I've never been, just what my Vcouver friends try to sell on me.

That's the thing, it's mostly Asian food that fits into that category here. I'm not against Asian food, but you can only have so much sushi/pho/Korean BBQ. It's the variety we're missing here. For instance there is virtually no good cheap Mexican food here... heck, no good Mexican food period.

I guess I should check Yelp out for some suggestions. I used it all the time while in the US, both on the road and in LA... it never crossed my mind to use it in Vancouver since I'm from here, but I obviously should since I keep going to the same three places. :lol:

Man, I never understood people who put cheese on top of the lasagna. :(

i know all those words... but i don't think i have ever seen them in that order before.
I don't know as i have ever seen a lasagna recipe in my life that did not call for some amount of cheese on the top layer...

EDIT: Interestingly enough i have never seen a recipe that uses bechamel either however it appears to be the more traditional recipe compared to the "normal" cheese sauce ricotta pasta and meat. Thanks for the tip icebone looks like i have something new to try this week.

Last edited:
Here's briefly how I do it:

• Cook bolognese for about 4 hours
  • In the mean time, prepare bechamel sauce
  • grate 4 different kinds of cheese (1 for each layer)
  • butter up pan
  • add thin layer of bolognese sauce (without meat (basically grease))
  • 1 layer of lasagna pasta (I buy the one that doesn't have to be pre-cooked - if you use regular pasta for this, I will murder you in your sleep)
  • 4 layers of 1)bologense 2)bechamel 3)1 sort of cheese 4)pasta
  • the rest of beschamel and bolognese
  • vary the amount of sauces and cheese as to your preference
  • in oven until the beschamel sauce starts to go brown
  • if it's still too soggy, cover in aluminium foil so it doesn't brown any more, but still loses fluid

Last edited:
That's the thing, it's mostly Asian food that fits into that category here. I'm not against Asian food, but you can only have so much sushi/pho/Korean BBQ. It's the variety we're missing here. For instance there is virtually no good cheap Mexican food here... heck, no good Mexican food period.

I guess I should check Yelp out for some suggestions. I used it all the time while in the US, both on the road and in LA... it never crossed my mind to use it in Vancouver since I'm from here, but I obviously should since I keep going to the same three places. :lol:

Christ I could have given you a list of recommendations 2 armlengths long of a variety of cuisines in LA, I eat out far too much.