[01x09] January 16th, 2011

[01x09] January 16th, 2011

• Total voters
Excellent episode, I'm liking TG US more and more, it's what TG AUS should have been and wasn't. Even compared to TG UK standards this episode was very good, there was less scripted jokes, less obvious dicking around and more cars. The scenery was excellent, the numerous helicopter shots were just beautiful. Well done to everyone involved.

Gave it an 8. They still have a ways to go but they've come a long way in any event.

This episode kept me glued to the TV, laughing all the way.

That said...it was a little too short, and it would have been much more interesting to do it in the winter.

10/10. Absolutely perfect all around. Why you ask? I will opine...

1. No retarded star in a car segment.
  2. Comedy and chemistry seemed legitimate.
  3. Classic TG moments like when they sabotaged the braking point in the first challenge.
  4. A full episode challenge stuffed full of scenery and 3 blokes having a laugh. :mrgreen:

My only complaint is the fact that this was obviously cut short. I'd imagine they literally cut out half the show. I hope the DVD will have all the missing footage not only from this episode but the entire series.

And I seriously think the Ford could of won that had it not been for the speed upon going over those huge rocks. But I'm not surprised the Chevy won, that's back when they truly built awsome trucks unlike now. I'm a fellow Small-Block Chevy V8 owner and I can attest to the durability and reliability of the drivetrain. The interior bits however I'm surprised didn't cause more of an issue.

Well, I gave it a 7. Mainly due to the length, but mostly due to the missed opportunities.

How many people realized that the truck buying parameters ($3000, minimum 100,000 miles) actually are the same as the original TGUK Toyota Hilux "truck that wouldn't die" (allowing for exchange rate and inflation)?

I also wonder why they didn't bother to mention that Toyota does make trucks in America, and have done so for several years now.

One difference between these guys and the UK presenters: you get the impression that the UK guys (yes, even Clarkson) have lots more experience working on the insides of cars. I did find it surprising that the crew didn't take along a professional mechanic, as the UK folks did in their Great Adventures.

As far as I know Rutledge is quite a backyard mechanic. I can't speak for the other two though.

I get the feeling that the TGUS guys come to a set table. The production team has picked the cars, do the mods, tell them what to do, and so on. So they basically show up and read what the script says. I do hope that they for season 2 (if there is one) replace Adam and let the boys make their own decisions. The show will be much much better.

I get the feeling that the TGUS guys come to a set table. The production team has picked the cars, do the mods, tell them what to do, and so on. So they basically show up and read what the script says. I do hope that they for season 2 (if there is one) replace Adam and let the boys make their own decisions. The show will be much much better.

Good point, I especially got that feeling with those truck campers -- no way they could have been whipped up overnight.

Actually, thats exactly what happened. Ill explain. The production team had everything planned for the first season including the script. i think the idea was to "set the table" and see how things felt. Its pretty well known that if/when there is a second season and im sure there will be, that they will be much less scripted and much more flowing and natural. the TG UK show studio segments are usually filmed on the Wed before the weekend that the show airs so its all pretty fresh but in TG US's case they filmed it basically all at once. so yes, it was all pre planned and scripted on purpose. Another thing to remember is the TG UK guys have been doing this for years and they have a ton of input on what reviews and challenges they do (as far as i know) and i know in the case of Jezza that he writes alot of the script. Hope that helps, please feel free to ask if you have any questions.

I thought it was one of the better epp's we've seen this year. I like rut and Tanner but Adam is the weakest link so far. I will say though it bugs me to no end when Tanner says "gosh"...makes him sound like a goody two shoes ;) hopefully they're given the green light for season two and they loosen the reigns a little and let them be who they are.

That was TV programming at it's finest!

Also, agree on the old-school SUV challenge request. Would LOVE to see an old-school XJ matched up against a Range Rover and a Bronco going through Canada or something.

YES!! Please please please

10/10.

I really enjoyed this and I thought it was up there with the UK specials. It would have benefited from being 60 mins and not 44 mins but I guess the ads pay for it.

I found that the presenters felt really comfortable in their own personalities and the it appeared to be uncensored. Yeah!

Yes there were some "gaps" in the "story" but overall I don't care. I'm going to watch it again tonight!

That was cool. It's hard to make Alaska look bad, really.

Also, agree on the old-school SUV challenge request. Would LOVE to see an old-school XJ matched up against a Range Rover and a Bronco going through Canada or something.

I have been seeing this idea on here for days and it just hit me, someone would show up in a white Ford Bronco...:D

Last edited:
Both zoink and torrage are down. Any other site to download torrent?

I gave it a solid 8, My only gripes with the episode are the fact that no one should have gone on trails like that without spare parts. I mean come on all that stopped the ford was a broken U-joint which is a 15 minute trail fix. Also this episode didn't exactly help Land-use effort against the greenies. They are always trying to shut down the few trails that are left for public use. I know that the show is for entertainment but that won't stop some sandal-wearing, soy-eating, greenpeace-t-shirt-wearing member of the Sierra Club from using it as evidence to how destructive offroaders are. That being said it was a great episode and I'll end by saying "Mopar or no car, thanks I'll walk" and join the fight,get involved and keep public lands open to the public! http://www.sharetrails.org/

*edit* just wanted to add "To the east a vast nothingness , that some people call Canada" was one of the funniest things I've heard on tv in a long time. no offense Canadians :)

Last edited:
My only gripes with the episode are the fact that no one should have gone on trails like that without spare parts. I mean come on all that stopped the ford was a broken U-joint which is a 15 minute trail fix.

From my understanding, it's been a Top Gear tradition that spare parts are not allowed, at least since the Vietnam special (Though Capt. Slow bent the rules with the spare gasket in the Middle East special).

Last edited:
From my understanding, it's been a Top Gear tradition that spare parts are not allowed, at least since the Vietnam special.

James put a new Head gasket in his Z3 in the middle east special.:dunno:

*apparently I was typing my reply as you were editing :)

It's really just a minor thing, fact is almost all people I've gone wheeling with at least have extra U-joints with them, no big deal. In my old Wrangler I used to carry a full set of axle shafts (Dana 30/35 axles + lockers = Boom!), at least one joint of every size on the jeep, fluids, tools, Duct Tape and Zip-Ties. (guess what got used most)

Last edited:
Best TGA yet? Though a lot seemed to have been left on the cutting room floor.

The Toyota was the only thing that looked like something you would still want to buy at the end of the challenge.

Last edited:
Definitely the best episode so far. I gave it a 9 though because it looked like it could have gone another mile further in terms of execution and concept.

I would have loved a little less polish and a little more ludicrousness in the modifications. Something like a small cage that Adam has to get padlocked into...from the outside, trapping him inside for the night, wondering how he'll go to the bathroom, or even how he can get out of it to drive the next day. Something to match the ludicrous stupidity of Captain Slow's "escape hatch" in the motor home challenge. And why not have a few more logs and a lot less lumber in Rutledge's vehicle? It was just too perfect...like Tanner's skateboard ramp. (The same idea could have been gotten across with plywood with hastily painted go-faster stripes on it and metal serving platters for spoilers...which could double as a cooktop)

As for the backup vehicle. It loomed a little too much. I would have liked to see it ONLY when it was mentioned or when a vehicle was on the verge of breaking down.

And having it be a Hilux was just silly. Anyone who knows ANYTHING about that truck will know it's the best of the 4. (My opinion, sue me :p ) My idea for a backup vehicle: A lifted El Camino. Can you imagine the fear in their eyes upon seeing THIS: http://www.jtruck.net/misc/4x4cars/full/72elcamino.jpg

-Nick