Gran Turismo 5

Two hours in and two million credits up and many XP, had to make some adjustments. Turned off vibrate, it goes off constantly and moved the elastic band to the right hand grip, it kept falling off the base of the analogue stick.

Also on two occasions, the X1 has hit the AI which has caused the car to spin 180.

Takes just over 7 minutes, takes me 5.

Last edited:
I do not understand why people are in such a retarded hurry to hit level 40.
And for the record, racing IS grinding. All you do is go around in circles on a track.
It only gets annoying and frustrating if you don't have competition.

You buy a game for... what?
To keep your console on while you sleep and watch TV?

Last edited:
I do not understand why people are in such a retarded hurry to hit level 40.
And for the record, racing IS grinding. All you do is go around in circles on a track.
It only gets annoying and frustrating if you don't have competition.

You buy a game for... what?
To keep your console on while you sleep and watch TV?

I'm not in a hurry to hit level 40, but also when you unlock the endurances you have to grind to unlock the next ones.
Why? Because the leveling system is broken.

I should have specified I wasn't talking about only about you.
I don't understand what's wrong with doing some events in a different car after you have already done them before. Or racing online, good exp there and much more fun than driving versus a AI.

The leveling system might be annoying and uncomfortable but it is not broken.
What is broken is that people want everything so easily in this game. It is not grinding. It is racing.
This is not a MMO it's a racing game. Grinding belongs in MMO's.

Last edited:
I should have specified I wasn't talking about only about you.
I don't understand what's wrong with doing some events in a different car after you have already done them before.
Simple: it's not fun because the race series are not designed very well. There are no restrictions, the track choices are odd, the race lengths are odd, the AI is not very good, you can not win prize cars a second time, and the credit payout is pretty bad as well. Overall, I see little fun in repeating any of the race series. I have done so in cars which I bought because I just wanted to have them, but I found doing repeated races in them to be much less fun than in any previous GT.

The leveling system might be annoying and uncomfortable but it is not broken.
What is broken is that people want everything so easily in this game. It is not grinding. It is racing.
This is not a MMO it's a racing game. Grinding belongs in MMO's.
People are motivated to get to level 40 because the game rubs it in your face all the time. After every race worth XP points, you get your new score and the level you're at on an extra screen you need to confirm to get rid of it. If you advance a level, the display vibrates and you get a cheering crowd. One could as well go for 100% or having all cars or getting all trophies, but XP and level are the things the game constantly confronts you with. But as Aston Martin said, you need to do some endurance races more than once to unlock the next level, which, in my eyes at least, is bad game design. There is bad design all over this game, so why not in the leveling system?

Last edited:
Yea but if you just play the game you will eventually get to level 40.
Getting to the max level is the easiest thing in the game. You might need to re do some of the races but so what? I find it really weird that players keep coming up with the most stupid ways to get levels and not play the game.
What's the rush?

And really, the race series are the same as before. The only difference is that there are more AI controlled cars on the grid and some tracks are different.

Yea but if you just play the game you will eventually get to level 40.
Getting to the max level is the easiest thing in the game. You might need to re do some of the races but so what? I find it really weird that players keep coming up with the most stupid ways to get levels and not play the game.
What's the rush?
The game motivates you to advance levels, that's why people rush. You will get to level 40 eventually by "normal" playing, as in repeating normal races. But you will have to do a lot of racing to get to level 40, and that practically devalues it. Getting to level 40 will not be special anymore, because you just arrived there at some random point by doing whatever you do.

And really, the race series are the same as before. The only difference is that there are more AI controlled cars on the grid and some tracks are different.
Sorry, they're not the same. They are of course race series with a specific topic if you look at the technicalities, but all the details are just lazily executed in my opinion.

Last edited:
I dont remember GT ever having a lot of restrictions in any of the Aspec events. Maybe it's just me?
Also I don't think getting to level 40 by rubbebanding your controller is anything special either.

Last edited:
For me the big problem with GT5's leveling system is that there is absolutely no skill needed to reach the next level. Once you reach a certain point in the game the only thing that stands between you and the next level is the x amount of time you need to put in to earn those points. In my case getting to level 30 would require completing the 'Dream Car Challenge' three more times, in total taking probably around six hours. Or alternatively doing the Grand Valley 300 three times in a row (which I most certainly don't intend to do).

There is no real challenge whatsoever (unless you create one by using rubbish cars), and as a result there is no sense of achievement either. On the other hand, I used about six hours or so to try and complete the Ford Focus seasonal event a few weeks back, and probably more than that to try and gold the RX-7 event in the same set (which I failed to do as well). Those were properly challenging and winning the Focus one was really rewarding.

Last edited:
For me the big problem with GT5's leveling system is that there is absolutely no skill needed to reach the next level. Once you reach a certain point in the game the only thing that stands between you and the next level is the x amount of time you need to put in to earn those points. In my case getting to level 30 would require completing the 'Dream Car Challenge' three more times, in total taking probably around six hours. Or alternatively doing the Grand Valley 300 three times in a row (which I most certainly don't intend to do).

There is no real challenge whatsoever (unless you create one by using rubbish cars), and as a result there is no sense of achievement either. On the other hand, I used about six hours or so to try and complete the Ford Focus seasonal event a few weeks back, and probably more than that to try and gold the RX-7 event in the same set (which I failed to do as well). Those were properly challenging and winning the Focus one was really rewarding.

Yea maby that's the biggest problem in ASpec.
Not enough challenge and every event can be won with a hugely over powered car.

Every event can be won with a hugely over powered car.

This. I purposely select underpowered cars for fun and challenging races, and even then the biggest challenge is evading AI cars with their ridiculous braking points, and catching back up when another AI car bashes you off the racing line and into the grass/ gravel.

I dont remember GT ever having a lot of restrictions in any of the Aspec events. Maybe it's just me?
There have been restrictions for cars as well as horsepower figures in earlier GTs. PD also had the performance point restriction in Prologue. That was a good system, why they dropped it is beyond me. Also, in GT4, you had the A-Spec points per race. The more you tuned your car, the less points you were awarded. It's a soft restriction because you can still overpower your car, but the game motivates you to do the race with as little upgrades as possible.

EDIT:
This. I purposely select underpowered cars for fun and challenging races, and even then the biggest challenge is evading AI cars with their ridiculous braking points, and catching back up when another AI car bashes you off the racing line and into the grass/ gravel.
Absolutely! I hate to say it, but I can not find anything to do in this game which isn't severely floored by a bootload of shortcomings.

Last edited:
erm...

anyone know how to turn off the force feedback completely?? cos it's making the G25 really annoying with all that fake G-force simulation on the wheel.

edit : i can only change the settings from 1 to 10, no option to turn it off completely.

another edit : I fucking hate the new B-spec.

Last edited:
Well I do agree there is a lack of challenge in ASpec.
But I do find alot of challenge in Online Races. Maby that's why PD didn't put the required extra effort into ASpec. Tho that must be an even more of a pathetic excuse from them than running out of time. I still don't understand the need to wrap your controller with rubberbands but then again maby I don't even need to.

erm...

anyone know how to turn off the force feedback completely?? cos it's making the G25 really annoying with all that fake G-force simulation on the wheel.

edit : i can only change the settings from 1 to 10, no option to turn it off completely.
Workaround: pull the power plug. Works on the DFP. The wheel still works because it's connected via USB, but the force feedback motors have no power anymore. Give it a shot!

EDIT:
Well I do agree there is a lack of challenge in ASpec. But I do find alot of challenge in Online Races.
Maybe that's my problem, I'm not much of an online player.

I still don't understand the need to wrap your controller with rubberbands but then again maby I don't even need to.
I see the need when someone urges to advance in the game. Personally I don't feel the need though, I have just pretty much stopped playing.

Last edited:
Luckily, the license tests still prove an adequate challenge for my meager talents. Also, improving your own times on deserted tracks never gets old for me.

This.

I might give online play a try someday, but I find great pleasure in improving my times.

Online functionality has ruined games.

Game developers can totally ignore narrative, or great single player immersion when they rely on online play. Also, they can release half-finished games, while charging full price, and endlessly patch and update them through possibly the worst invention in the industry: DLC Seems like every game released these days is in a beta state. GT5 for DAMN sure was.

I really want to race the nurburgring 4 hour race. I'm going to have to grind for probably 8 hours to get to that level. Instead of making a leveling system based on skill (like the license tests???) they have made leveling based on absolutely nothing else but time. So you could have an absolute shit driver, using every aide available, at level 40 because they have nothing to do in life, and then you could have somebody quite good at driving stuck at level 25-30 until the end of time, because they've got things to do....

*awaits Shift 2 with bated breath*

Online functionality has ruined games.

Game developers can totally ignore narrative, or great single player immersion when they rely on online play. Also, they can release half-finished games, while charging full price, and endlessly patch and update them through possibly the worst invention in the industry: DLC Seems like every game released these days is in a beta state. GT5 for DAMN sure was.

I really want to race the nurburgring 4 hour race. I'm going to have to grind for probably 8 hours to get to that level. Instead of making a leveling system based on skill (like the license tests???) they have made leveling based on absolutely nothing else but time. So you could have an absolute shit driver, using every aide available, at level 40 because they have nothing to do in life, and then you could have somebody quite good at driving stuck at level 25-30 until the end of time, because they've got things to do....

*awaits Shift 2 with bated breath*

I couldn?t agree more.
OF COURSE playing online is fun and games like MW2 are really fun IF you happen to be in a server with players that want to FUCKING PLAY, but I see your point.

I fucking hate the leveling system too! I want to buy the Pagani Zonda R for the All Star race, but no, the fucking game won't let me because I'm level 22. How does that make any sense? This is not an RPG, there shouldn't be a leveling system. Now I needed to grind the Polyphony Digital Cup for at least 10 times just to be able to buy the Zonda R. The first 4 games were fine without it, why do they got to learn from NFS? I expect this kind of bs from NFS, but not GT.

Last edited: