Random Thoughts....

I just noticed the assignment on the syllabus for my "Sociology of Gender" class (it was the only thing that fit in my schedule that met any requirements :|)

Apparently it is middle school again. I have NO IDEA what the hell I am supposed to pick that won't involve over analyzing. <_<
90% of my most listened to songs are most listened to because my ipod is practically a permanent attachment to my center console. Songs are rated by how fun to drive like an idiot to they are.

I think you're thinking about this a bit much. Just pick a song you like and won't get tired of, and I'm sure it will make more sense when the project it's involved in gets underway. I'm imagine that the prof doesn't want you to think about the choice too hard, given that you're just asked to print off lyrics at this point, and you're given no real criteria apart from it being a song you like.

I'd personally probably take Gimme Shelter by the Rolling Stones. Which could be interesting in a "Sociology of Gender" context, admittedly.

OK, don't pick it up as soon as you arrive at Heathrow like many tourists do. Go to Hammersmith by Tube or Cab and have a night's sleep, then pick up the rental and head west out of London on the non-motorway roads and have a few hours practice.

Yeah my schedule calls for a car on day 7 and 8 of my 10 day trip.

Hey, if it's only 2 days then I'm sure there is any number of Ukanians who'd be willing to chauffeur you around in a hire car.

Hey, if it's only 2 days then I'm sure there is any number of Ukanians who'd be willing to chauffeur you around in a hire car.

I was mostly joking about my fear of becoming the human torch :lol:. I`m actually looking forward to driving in England. I have supreme confidence in my driving ability...hell, I`ve driven in Greece... which means I can drive anywhere.

One could also understand that college is not junior high. You are not there because you have to go, but because you want to be there. No matter for what reasons, even just for scheduling, when you choose a class, you do it out of your free will. Which also means you are responsible for how much you'll learn.
It's not about "teacher so stupid" or "let's see how we can fool the teacher" any more. It's not about "OMG the assignment is stupid", either.

Grow up. Give the lecturer the benefit of doubt and play along. If whatever happens in class really is stupid, you can complain afterwards. But going into a class with the attitude displayed here will not do any good, neither for the prospect of liking the class nor for the grades one can reasonably expect to get.

Just because I am going to a university doesn't mean the class matters at all. Last semester I had a math class that was a space filler and it was exactly that and only that. I played my game boy in every class (yes, the teacher knew, he did not care) and my final grade was something like a 97, it didn't of course hut that he would give all the answers to the test the class before.
4 classes per semester are required to qualify for financial aid, so that is what I am taking this class for. I'll obviously do the assignments and put effort into them, it doesn't stop me from thinking they are silly though.

Actually feel better after watching this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHWEZ_IjcSk&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/youtube]

Only a few of those deserve mention, most are just childish name calling that don't have an ounce of creativity.

I think that no one could dish out the verbal abuse like Shakespeare. That man could craft an insult better than any I've heard or read.

Grow up. Give the lecturer the benefit of doubt and play along. If whatever happens in class really is stupid, you can complain afterwards. But going into a class with the attitude displayed here will not do any good, neither for the prospect of liking the class nor for the grades one can reasonably expect to get.

I had a broadly similar situation happen my freshman year in college. The very first day of Intro to Western Lit, we were told that Larry McMurtry was one of the greatest writers of Western Lit and that we would be studying his works for a significant part of the course.

Not Shakespeare. Not Heinlein, Asimov, Bradbury, Salinger, Hemingway, Solzhenitsyn, Steinbeck or even any of the Nobel Prize Winners for Literature. But Larry F-ing McMurtry, writer of a bunch of useless slightly-more-literate-than-most-Western-bodice-ripper novels.

I found it impossible to take the class seriously after that, especially with the female professor gushing over the utter garbage she was forcing us to read. What's really sad is that McMurtry actually has written one decent series - and that wasn't the one we were studying.

This same prof dismissed Hesse as a 'talentless hack' and Faulkner as an 'overrated hick.'

So it is completely possible to discover that a course is useless and stupid on the very first day, given a request like that.

Last edited:
I had a broadly similar situation happen my freshman year in college. The very first day of Intro to Western Lit, we were told that Larry McMurtry was one of the greatest writers of Western Lit and that we would be studying his works for a significant part of the course.

Not Shakespeare. Not Heinlein, Asimov, Bradbury, Salinger, Hemingway, Solzhenitsyn, Steinbeck or even any of the Nobel Prize Winners for Literature. But Larry F-ing McMurtry, writer of a bunch of useless slightly-more-literate-than-most-Western-bodice-ripper novels.

I found it impossible to take the class seriously after that, especially with the female professor gushing over the utter garbage she was forcing us to read. What's really sad is that McMurtry actually has written one decent series - and that wasn't the one we were studying.

This same prof dismissed Hesse as a 'talentless hack' and Faulkner as an 'overrated hick.'

So it is completely possible to discover that a course is useless and stupid on the very first day, given a request like that.

I certainly figured it out for my art history class like that. The first day she said atlantis was real. :|
(if anyone is wondering, yes, she did end up teaching us all about atlantis later in that course)

This particular class I am taking now does not look hopeless, I was just commenting that that PARTICULAR ASSIGNMENT sounded dumb, I could quite possibly be proven wrong who knows. If there is learning to be done I will try to learn, if there isn't I will spend my effort focusing on the stupid second part of the art history class where I have never heard of anyone doing well in (well being more than a low B) as that is unfortunately much more required for my major <_<

Last edited:
It does seem like an assignment that you can't really judge until it happens. On one hand, it could be the worst thing ever, a sad attempt to deconstruct pop music and find meaning in Lady Gaga. On the other hand, it could be really interesting if done properly.

It does seem like an assignment that you can't really judge until it happens. On one hand, it could be the worst thing ever, a sad attempt to deconstruct pop music and find meaning in Lady Gaga. On the other hand, it could be really interesting if done properly.

Chances are that it will be the former and not the latter, especially in Massachusetts.

Ate too many Maryland cookies. Ugh.

It will probably try to be the latter, but everyone will bring in horrible top 40 songs that rhyme words with themselves and are entirely nonsense. I think I'll just bring in a song I like for lyrical quality that I already know the meaning to.

Hm. I'm thinking of starting yoga classes on top of the running classes. (Got a discount voucher online (I think) for ?25 for 6 classes)

I may also have film club meet ups the odd Tuesday night (we saw Black Swan last night, fucking brilliant), so I dunno what to do :\ Monday night? Wednesday night? Friday night? Saturday or Sunday morning-early afternoon?

Help an insanely fucking indecisive girl, people, please!

Hm. I'm thinking of starting yoga classes on top of the running classes. (Got a discount voucher online (I think) for ?25 for 6 classes)

I may also have film club meet ups the odd Tuesday night (we saw Black Swan last night, fucking brilliant), so I dunno what to do :\ Monday night? Wednesday night? Friday night? Saturday or Sunday morning-early afternoon?

Help an insanely fucking indecisive girl, people, please!
Wine club, debating club, pole dancing, spinning, some sport and then of course the hash house harriers for sunday :p

Volunteer work. Go read to kids in hospital, help at the local soup kitchen, take on visiting some older vulnerable people in your community, photography club, take an automotive maintenance course, cooking class etc etc

I actually meant what night should I do the yoga classes on, not what I should fill up other nights with :p

Post-Australia Day hangover FTL. I'm really tired, and I have to go into uni today to pick up my enrollment forms. The other campus I was at for the last two years used the mail them to us, but obviously this place, being the main campus is much much bigger, it's easier for some department have the students come in the same day as the staff are interviewing students for other courses in their department. It took me a while to work out where I'm supposed to go later this morning, so I'm going to get lost a few times during the first week!

I did have fun yesterday though, and I actually had a pretty nice view of the fireworks from my the roof of my friend Andrea's house, although I'm surprised that neither me or anyone else in our small group managed to fall off :lol: Shame the weather was so dreary for most of the day, we ended up using the electric BBQ inside which just doesn't have the same feel. At least it cleared up for the evening.

I actually meant what night should I do the yoga classes on, not what I should fill up other nights with :p

Try and do it as far away from the running classes as possible so it's not too much exercise all at once. :p For example, if the running was on a Sunday, you'd do the yoga on a Wednesday.