Arizona introduces law to target "birthright" citizenship of illegal immigrants

Saying people shouldn't be faulted for being here illegally is like the idiots who bitch about speeding tickets when they were speeding. Um yeah, sorry, you broke the law and they caught you. "This rule is stupid" is not a valid excuse even if it's true.

The child born in the US to illegal immigrants did not break any law.

I was talking about in general, not in relation to this thread. Babies are not drug king pins and rapists so I don't care how many babies stay here. It's no bigger of a problem than americans that can't figure out how to use a condom in my eyes.

I was talking about in general, not in relation to this thread. Babies are not drug king pins and rapists so I don't care how many babies stay here. It's no bigger of a problem than americans that can't figure out how to use a condom in my eyes.

Aha. Sort of agree? :lol: <insert variation of sort of want image>

A large part of this thread cries about how the parent immigrate illegaly, and consider that a reason to take away the child's rights. Taking away the child's rights won't keep out the bulk of illegals. If the US wants to keep out illegals, enforce the laws that make them illegal.

A large part of this thread cries about how the parent immigrate illegaly, and consider that a reason to take away the child's rights. Taking away the child's rights won't keep out the bulk of illegals. If the US wants to keep out illegals, enforce the laws that make them illegal.

I wonder what people would say if only the child was allowed to stay in the US and the parents deported. Probably not the most humane thing I suppose. The only thing that would bother me about that is if people wanting to get into the US would actually get pregnant just to have the child in the US and gain citizenship. Seems like a poor reason to have a child...

But anyway, Arizona put through a law that allowed the Police to enforce federal immigration law and everyone accused us of being racist bastards. I think California tried to sue us or something over that. It was stupid as hell.

I wonder what people would say if only the child was allowed to stay in the US and the parents deported. Probably not the most humane thing I suppose. The only thing that would bother me about that is if people wanting to get into the US would actually get pregnant just to have the child in the US and gain citizenship. Seems like a poor reason to have a child...

That is a necessary dilemma with ius soli.

However, if the US deports the parents - nobody is forcing the parents to leave their child behind in the US. They are free to take it with them back to where they came from.

I hate to sound dumb... but I too have no idea how to use a condom in a girl's eyes...
:p
:hammer:

Yeah that's the big issue with this law. I'm sorry but using a child as a bargaining chip makes you of a higher level of scum bag that the racist assholes who made the fucked up laws.

However, if the US deports the parents - nobody is forcing the parents to leave their child behind in the US. They are free to take it with them back to where they came from.

This seems like unfortunately the best solution in a screwed up situation, but I know people would be hesitant to make people choose that which leaves open the baby tool situation. :(

There's a problem with this, though. The child would be considered a US citizen, so if the parents did indeed take it back with them, wouldn't the child be technically an illegal immigrant in the parents' home country?

No.

There's a problem with this, though. The child would be considered a US citizen, so if the parents did indeed take it back with them, wouldn't the child be technically an illegal immigrant in the parents' home country?

That depends on the parents' home country. I can only speak for Germany, if I had a child with any mother on US soil it would automatically receive the US citizenship (obviously) and automatically receive the German citizenship as the child of a German citizen. Dunno about the mother's country if there could be a third passport as well. As a result the child would be allowed to live in Germany as it pleases, even ignoring any chance for purely-US citizens to live here.

The child born in the US to illegal immigrants did not break any law.

I share this view, as has been stated before, a child no control over where it is born.

So, laws from the 19th and 20th centuries are outdated, an amendment passed in the 18th century is still relevant. Dunno, but that to me seems a bit s-t-u-p-i-d.

So, laws from the 19th and 20th centuries are outdated, an amendment passed in the 19th century is still relevant. Dunno, but that to me seems a bit s-t-u-p-i-d.

FTFY. And it's not just any amendment. It's one that came directly from the bloodiest war in American history (>600k in the Civil war vs ~ 420k in WW2). This is not an insignificant every day piece of legislation.

I dislike illegal immigrants from any country. Unforunately I am racist against Mexicans as they are everywhere in Southern California. As a female I feel vary nervous whenever I have to go to a gas station near my area where they hang out to get jobs as they always stare. Admittedly I am used to stares as I'm a female, but the way they stare... it really unnerves me. That and three years ago my house was broken in to, stole all kinds of belongings (all my mothers family jewelry that can't be replaced), police said it happened to another house in our neighborhood a week earlier (why they never told the neighborhood is beyond me!!). When we first moved in to the area it was very nice middle class families with condos down the street then they moved in and the street down from me is now embarassing to drive past. Graffiti is now showing up on walls behind homes, signs on a bike path, people living in the creek that the bike path follows. Eh sorry I went off on a tangent! Anyways..

I constantly hear stories on the news or see them online where a criminal was apprehended, was found out to be illegal, has been convicted of previous crimes at various levels, thrown in to the jail/prison system only to be deported to Mexico then show up again within a months time! Something needs to be done to keep them out. I envy how strict the EU is with their immigration policies from the little that I know (please correct me if I am wrong!) and I wish we could do something here. Unforunately in my opinion the US is too large to properly enforce any new laws or it will take far too long for anything to get through.

My opinion is that they need to reform the immigration process to make it more streamlined. I'm not sure how it works right now but I know someone who went through the Marines, served for 7 years and is having trouble becoming a citizen. I think he finally became a citizen before he went to Korea to teach in an international teaching program.

I dislike illegal immigrants from any country. Unforunately I am racist against Mexicans as they are everywhere in Southern California.

You are racist against them because they are everywhere? Surely that means you hate ordinary white people as well.

I hate everybody. The world is full of assholes.

Trouble is most people think they're that island, and that there's only room to number one there.