Happy 100th Ronnie. Pres. Reagan would have turned 100 today.

DubyaStep

Tampa, Florida but now in Casselberry for school
Car(s)
Ford Thundercougarfalconbird
Just thought id start this one. IMO he was one of the greatest americans we have/will ever see. A great man no matter what side your on.

here are a couple of articles

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...ate-reagan-birthday-centennial-renewed-vigor/

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41424919/ns/politics-politics_daily/

Anyone here have any memories of him? the ones that stick with me is the Berlin Wall Speech and the Challenger.

Berlin Wall Excerpt:

Challenger speech, his emotion is very real here, you can feel it. i remember as a child when this happened. i was in the 6th grade and watched it from outside of the school because you can see the shuttle from west florida. we didnt know what happened until we went back inside. It didnt really hit home for me until this speech.

The one thing about Regan that stuck with me was his apparent sincerity about the greatness of the United States. Never one to apologize for his county, never one to submit, a true patriot and a firm believer in American exceptionalism. I share his beliefs and unfortunately I do not believe Obama does.

The one thing about Regan that stuck with me was his apparent sincerity about the greatness of the United States. Never one to apologize for his county, never one to submit, a true patriot and a firm believer in American exceptionalism. I share his beliefs and unfortunately I do not believe Obama does.

i completely agree. Reagan was an American first then a Politician, IMO Obama is a politician first then a President then an American(?). I see it as one of the main differences between the left and right.

So you two are saying that because Obama doesn't think the US is perfect in every way, he's not a true patriot, a true American? Please correct me if I am misunderstanding.

So you two are saying that because Obama doesn't think the US is perfect in every way, he's not a true patriot, a true American? Please correct me if I am misunderstanding.

yes, your misunderstanding. reread my statement

reagan was a very proud person and and did a very good job of expressing that to the nation. what we saw on tv when he spoke was that he meant what he was saying, i always, even as a young person, felt he was one of us. i just dont feel that these days.

Last edited:
That Challenger speech was pretty awesome. First time I've seen it.

Helps to be a good actor. Not that he's acting, he just knows how to communicate feeling extremely well.

He liked China did he not, thought that the US would sell shit loads of manufactured stuff to them?

Ping Pong diplomacy - at least we are not dead though stupidity with atomic weapons.

Last edited:
Just thought id start this one. IMO he was one of the greatest americans we have/will ever see. A great man no matter what side your on.

here are a couple of articles

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...ate-reagan-birthday-centennial-renewed-vigor/

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41424919/ns/politics-politics_daily/

Anyone here have any memories of him? the ones that stick with me is the Berlin Wall Speech and the Challenger.

Berlin Wall Excerpt:

Challenger speech, his emotion is very real here, you can feel it. i remember as a child when this happened. i was in the 6th grade and watched it from outside of the school because you can see the shuttle from west florida. we didnt know what happened until we went back inside. It didnt really hit home for me until this speech.

Wow, I am suprised at how much Reagan is held up as a conservative God. He couldn't run as a republican now, he was far to liberal for the modern republicans. And the "Tear down the wall" speach happened well before the wall came down, like 2 years before. People have this highly distorted view that it happened within a week of the speech.

The republicans will hold up Reagan as a god so you won't look past his corpse to see the shit they want to do and have done since. He was a lovable grandfather figure that had camera presence that was used as a puppet.

He was a lovable grandfather figure that had camera presence that was used as a puppet.
This is an incorrect view shared by many. There is a documentary that just came out that supposedly goes over and disproves this myth.

Sauce?

the "Tear down the wall" speach happened well before the wall came down, like 2 years before. People have this highly distorted view that it happened within a week of the speech.

i dont recall ever hearing that. I cant think of a single person that thinks he said that then turned around and kicked down the wall. Things like this take years and him standing there gave people confidence. The fact that he so blatently called out a head of state in this situation is what gained him respect. he didnt put it into political mumbo-jumbo, he came strait out and said "...tear down this wall!" and he said it with emotion, watch the video, he fed off the crowd. Puppets in politics may appear to say shit with emotion and you can usually tell when its fake but this was real. ill stand by that till the day i die.

i didnt make this post about Left vs. Right, i made this post about celebrating a man who help to redirect this country. some would say he may have saved the world. He was a great man.

He was not a great man. The speech was made because they knew that the USSR was in bad financial shape. It was only a matter of time.

then why did you even reply to this thread to begin with?

Should the truth not be known? I can really burst your bubble and prove your delusions wrong.

He is the republican poster boy because he was the least shitty. Who else could they use? Nixon? Dubya?

lolz.

On the one hand, the Reagan economic model that the Republicans have followed since was proven to be incorrect, and has been repeatedly proven since. The federal deficit in 1980 was $74bn and debt was $930bn, in 1988 it was $204bn and $2.5 trillion. The US moved from being the worlds largest creditor nation under Carter to the worlds biggest debtor.

So, economically, he has been a disaster and his influence continues to be a disaster today.

On the other, in those talks with Gorbachev he offered to get rid of all nuclear weapons. Not a cut, not some, all of them. That took some guts and although it didn't happen for various reasons, the fact that he was willing to go that far shows a lot.