The "New Toys" Thread

Built a HTPC yesterday. Raid Controller was a pain in the ass. Drives were visible in bios but not windows. Now XBMC freezes everytime i put an audio cd in. CD plays fine in any other program, just now XBMC. DVDs and Blurays play perfectly though.

https://pic.armedcats.net/s/se/sevs753/2011/02/05/Image02052011183406.jpg

Parts not pictured:
-Lite On Sata BD-ROM
-nMediaPC HTPC Case
-380W PSU
-3x HDD's (2x 500gb Raid 0 and 1x 320Gb)

Apple Airport Extreme, 802.11n with a usb port for printer/hard drive. Currently sharing my 2TB JBOD enclosure on the network. Got 2 more slots open in the enclosure :D
airportextreme.jpg

because i just wanted to use the 500gb drives as a single 1Tb drive and (due to the raid card) I could only choose raid 0 or JBOD.

You can make an extended partition without any sort of RAID, I made a 120 GB drive out of three 40s on an ancient Pentium III box.

Also, doesn't the motherboard have RAID built in?

Hey I got the same toshiba satteliete laptop recently too - have you found that uit keeps coming up with wanting to update the wireless card drivers, but then the link it gives doesnt work!?!?

Dynamic disks?

No idea. I just played around in the Windows XP installer and found an option for "extended partition." Let me make one partition across all three (IDE) hard drivers. This was an old Pentium III box.

No idea. I just played around in the Windows XP installer and found an option for "extended partition." Let me make one partition across all three (IDE) hard drivers. This was an old Pentium III box.

Yeah I think that is DD, its basically a software JBOD in a sense.

Built a HTPC yesterday. Raid Controller was a pain in the ass. Drives were visible in bios but not windows. Now XBMC freezes everytime i put an audio cd in. CD plays fine in any other program, just now XBMC. DVDs and Blurays play perfectly though.

https://pic.armedcats.net/s/se/sevs753/2011/02/05/Image02052011183406.jpg

Parts not pictured:
-Lite On Sata BD-ROM
-nMediaPC HTPC Case
-380W PSU
-3x HDD's (2x 500gb Raid 0 and 1x 320Gb)

Brands like "Rosewill" and some of the other super budget ones have TERRIBLE driver support, its still better to get a MB with onboard RAID.

GOOGLE SENT ME A CR-48 CHROME OS PILOT NETBOOK.

Details to follow.

i hate you :|

These are all thumbnails.

Huh. What is this UPS box? I wasn't expecting anything....

A... Hampster? What? I'm really confused.

More confusion. Oh, wait. What's that little thing in the bottom there?!?

See chrome logo.

.... processing

.... processing

LIGHT BULB

GO FUCKING CRAZY

Nice packaging.

Everything laid out.

In all its glory. It's a pretty little thing, thin and light and feels well-made, if all plastic.

Awwww yeah. This thing boots in 3 seconds, wakes from a sleep in around half of a second.

I'm letting it finish charging right now.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Last edited:
You are such a bastard.

Sitting on the train, CR-48 connected to the internet via my Vibrant's Mobile AP. This, now, this is the way to internet on the move.

Shouldn't all wireless capable devices connect to the internet via android AP's?

Not without some tweaking for Verizon customers :) They want another 20$ a month for Tethering. Thank god for root and wireless tether. I am using my Droid X right now and my other connection just downloads 24/7 :).

Last edited: