Official 2011 Formula 1 Pre-Season Thread

Herald Sun said:
FORMULA One boss Bernie Ecclestone says he "doesn't need'' the Australian Grand Prix on the F1 calendar.

With debate about the value of the race once again rekindled, Ecclestone has strongly hinted Australia would be one of the first races to be axed as he eyes new, more lucrative markets.

Ecclestone says his Formula One Management company, which controls the contracts for all grands prix, does not want to expand the program so inevitably some races will go.

"Twenty races is enough,'' Ecclestone told German media, in reference to this year's schedule.

"If we have some new races, some others will fall out - we don't need Australia, for instance ...,'' he said.

The issue of whether Victoria should bid to extend the current contract when it expires in 2015 was resurrected recently when Melbourne Lord Mayor Robert Doyle questioned its value for money.

Ecclestone said he had always backed the staging of an Australian round but following Doyle's comments appears to be having second thoughts.

"We have always been happy because I've always thought we had big, big support in Melbourne and there's no reason why we should leave,'' Ecclestone has said.

But he said he would have no hesitation in walking away if the race proved unpopular.

Tonight, Australian Grand Prix Corporation actiong chief executive Andrew Westacott said there was a long queue of cities waiting for the chance to reap the benefits of Formula 1.

"What Mr Ecclestone needs is 20-22 cities that want and support Formula 1. He wants to hold the races in cities that love F1. Why wouldn't he?'' Mr Westacott said.

"Australia is very fortunate to be one of only 19 countries in the world who have the privilege of hosting a Formula 1 Grand Prix in 2011.

"Siince the Lord Mayor came out to 'kick start debate' fans have re-affirmed their support for the event. Grandstand ticket sales are up 35 per cent from last year, corporate sales are the best they have been in more than two years and sponsorship is going strong.''

Grand Prix Corporation chairman Ron Walker has called Doyle's remarks "sad'' and said the international exposure the event generated was priceless.

"This is an annual debate now and it's a sad thing for the mayor of a major capital city to come out as publicly against a major event like the grand prix,'' Walker has said.

"It's still the largest sporting event on a single day basis in Australia ... it gets a huge overseas audience.

"I'm saying it's great value because it propels Melbourne's image abroad in a way that you can't buy.''

Geelong is the latest potential venue being discussed as an alternative to Albert Park and in a bid to retain the event. Both the city and Avalon have been touted as suitable.

Walker and Westacott have urged Geelong Mayor John Mitchell to lobby for the race.

"Geelong is a good market for tickets and we have always treated it with respect,'' Walker told the Geelong Advertiser.

"If we had it at Avalon it would promote the tree tops of rural land while having it in Geelong would showcase the rest of the city and Melbourne to the rest of the world.''

Westacott said Geelong was in a good position to challenge other parts of the world like Texas, Poland and Russia who all want the Grand Prix.

He said the Esplanade would provide the ideal backdrop and surpass some views where the race was held around the world.

I know it's from the Herald Sun (which sometimes has to be taken with a pinch of salt), but they've been talking about it for the past few weeks.

It's hard to believe that they didn't think of Ford while naming F150. But come on, be reasonable. I found good comment on that - "it's not like all American farmers will change their pickups for an F1 cars". All Ford gets is free publicity and probably the only reason behind that suit is more publicity. They should make fun of that, like "even Ferrari is coping our truck" or something.

And nice idea from the teams with that message. BTW, Robert is out of intensive care and now on orthopedics.

that would work

the F150, so awesome even ferrari wants one! :D

Off Topic: This like thing is bullshit. We'll soon go click like on our mothers or something like that. Rep was more than good enough.

On Topic: nice to see all the messages on the cars to support Robert. And, don't worry, Montezemolo will find a way out of that trial, presumably he'll say the Ferrari is named F150 (without the dash that Ford use between F and 150).

The Ferrari's now called "F150th Italia", a bit complex compared to the usual codenames.

I shall call it the Ferrari 0.02 :cool:

The new tweaked name is just silly. Most people will still call it the F150 or 150 Italia anyway. Ferrari should have called it "FU150". :lol:

Here what Ford claimed on ESPN F1 article:

?Ferrari has misappropriated the F-150 trademark ? in order to capitalise on and profit from the substantial goodwill that Ford has developed?

I know that copyrights and trademarks are ?serious business? and that Ford is keen to protect one of its most successful brand names, but to claim that the latest Ferrari F1 racing car wants to ?capitalise on and profit from? a Ford truck's name is downright hilarious!

I suspect that Ferrari couldn?t care less about anything Ford and just changed the name immediately without even responding or trying to prove their reasons to those hicks at Ford.

it's now called the f150 italia.

The world, and specially america, always seems to spiral down to the ridicule.

In other news, Porsche is sueing every news channel that has since 2001 used the number "911" to refer to anything other than their cars!

"I had already gone through that in 2007 after the crash in Canada."

I had forgotten about that...

Schumacher. :-(

The big plus that i see here is that there is no gigantic 3 second gap between a lotus/virgin and a front car anymore. They at least caught up. HRT is still an unknown though.

Pat Symonds "returns" to F1, by helping out the Virgin Racing team
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89431
Symonds takes on Virgin role

By Adam Cooper and Jonathan Noble Friday, February 11th 2011, 18:44 GMT

Pat Symonds is to return to Formula 1 in a consultancy role after agreeing a deal to help out the Virgin Racing team.

The former Renault technical director has been out of the sport since he left the Enstone-based outfit in the wake of the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix race-fixing controversy.

He has spent his time since then involved in numerous other engineering and motorsport projects for his own consultancy business Neutrino Dynamics.

Although that had not included any current F1 teams up until now, last year he did help out one of the candidates that was pushing for a new entry for 2011.

Virgin Racing president Graeme Lowdon has confirmed that Symonds is now helping out his team - and that he believed his input would be useful.

"Pat is retained by one of our shareholders as an advisor, and he's advising the team," Lowdon told AUTOSPORT. "He's allowed to do consultancy work through his company. Quite a few people in the team have worked with him in the past and all the technical guys are really, really excited. I can see only positive things."

As part of a deal Symonds agreed with the FIA he cannot work full-time for a team until 2013, but he is allowed to work on a consultancy basis.

Speaking at the AUTOSPORT International Show earlier this year, Symonds expressed his hope that he would return to an F1 role in the near future.

"There are still lots of things I want to do," he said. "I am working as a consultant now and I am doing a lot of work in racing as well as in other areas. I still have a love of F1 because of the engineering. I absolutely have a passion for racing - you cannot keep me away."

Heidfeld sporting a familiar white overall today. Is he the Stig?

</troll>

Is there anywhere we can see more specific data? Like how long the stint was and what tires they are on?? **thats freeeE?hehe

It seems like a lot of teams are getting lots of degradation around lap 10-12- almost 3 second drop offs.. I think thats with the med tire. With Soft or SupASofts they may even drop at 7 and 4 respectively. I think the Hards are getting like 18-20 laps? That's CraZy talk!! I will probably be losing my traditional mid-race nap!

I could be totally wrong though..
Comparison:
Webber did a 19 lap stint - unk tire (guessing hards) at an avg 1:24 rd Jerez (Vettel 1:23avg longrun). Thats blistering... compared to Alonsos 13 lap run with a BEST of 1:26, with degradation ending him around the 1:29 (today he's avg 1:24 on the long run). .. sigh.. testing... so difficult.

Last edited:
I know it's from the Herald Sun (which sometimes has to be taken with a pinch of salt), but they've been talking about it for the past few weeks.
Nice to see Robert Doyle has inadvertently caused GP ticket sales to go through the roof :p.

I honestly don't see what the point of moving it to Geelong or Avalon would be. They would just have to build a full time circuit at Avalon anyway, which would probably end up costing more than leaving it where it at Albert Park? :dunno:

Is there anywhere we can see more specific data? Like how long the stint was and what tires they are on?? **thats freeeE?hehe

It seems like a lot of teams are getting lots of degradation around lap 10-12- almost 3 second drop offs.. I think thats with the med tire. With Soft or SupASofts they may even drop at 7 and 4 respectively. I think the Hards are getting like 18-20 laps? That's CraZy talk!! I will probably be losing my traditional mid-race nap!

I could be totally wrong though..
Comparison:
Webber did a 19 lap stint - unk tire (guessing hards) at an avg 1:24 rd Jerez (Vettel 1:23avg longrun). Thats blistering... compared to Alonsos 13 lap run with a BEST of 1:26, with degradation ending him around the 1:29 (today he's avg 1:24 on the long run). .. sigh.. testing... so difficult.

We dont know the compounds, they arent marked. There's very little we can read into the times being set although sources seem to suggest Red Bull is still the form car, Ferrari are relatively good on their tyres and Mercedes are probably not on the pace of the front runners.