Take us for a drive in your country

You're so german :p ;)

I know ;)

But here's my latest attempt to trick YouTube's detection system: I'm using recordings from vinyl.

We had a rather windy day today (would call it stormy but don't want to offend the Australians right now with calling that a storm), so I took some more driving around town in bad weather videos to test out my theory. It seems to have worked for the first part:

And second part works as well -- at the cost of using some forgotten 80's pop music:

Funny thing is, that YouTube detected some "musical composition" but says I needn't worry, the video is still available throughout the world :lol:

By the way: At 10:15 you get a view of the two big watergates, that separate the Wilhelmshaven harbor from the North Sea. It's still the 2nd biggest lock in the world, with each of its two chambers being 390 m in length and 60 m in width, which means even American aircraft carriers can go through there (and have been already). It wasn't built for them, though. Instead it was built for big WW II battleships.

However, they will be 3rd biggest soon, since they are currently enlarging the ones at the Panama Channel to 435 m in length for the new generation container ships.

At 11:45 I panned the camera, so you can get a glimpse of the navy shipyard, where the battleship Tirpitz was built. Currently they're maintaining a frigate there.

Last edited:
Here's a bit of a cruise through part of Dallas from yesterday's snow-and-ice-infested roads. Yes, when the car goes sideways I was hanging the tail out on purpose :p , even though the Crown Vic isn't fond of the notion. Had to audioswap it, YouTube didn't like what was on the stereo. Also, tried out iMovie's post-production image stabilization feature, not sure if I like how it came out.

Last edited:
How are you guys mounting your cameras? I'd love to see what you came up with. I'll get a photo of my rig posted next time I go down to the car.

Mine is the ChinaCam stuck on a piece of velcro on the vehicle's dash or master cylinder, or more lately, a Canon PowerShot A540 stuffed under the headrest on the passenger seat. Not really happy with either, getting a GoPro soon.

Me, my car and a bit of Switzerland... the really good part starts at 2:20.

Greetings, lip

Last edited:
How are you guys mounting your cameras? I'd love to see what you came up with. I'll get a photo of my rig posted next time I go down to the car.

It varies, depending on the car and the purpose of the video.

When I only want to show the scenery, I use a camera holder with a suction cup and mount it in the upper left corner of the windscreen, where I can see the monitor without the camera blocking my view.

When I also want to show the car's interior, I usually remove the passenger seat's headrest and tie a tripod to the seat, using duct tape. Using duct tape is tricky, though, because it produces unwanted noises in corners or when you brake, and it doesn't stick on every surface.

In cars with an automatic I also sometimes use handheld, which is not ideal, because you have to part your concentration between road and holding the camera.

The best solution so far is, what I did in the S-Class films. There I mounted the camera on a tripod, put the tripod in the back between the front seats' backrests, two legs facing forward and resting on the floor, one leg backwards and resting on the back seat, so that the tripod is pressed against the front seats. I fixed the legs in place with duct tape on the floor and the leather seats, then used kitchen string to tie the tripod tightly in place, using the headrest retainers in the front and back.

This way the tripod cannot move in any direction, it doesn't make any additional noises and the camera stays in place, when the centrifugal forces pull at it.

Last edited:

In my current car I use the same camera mount I had in the old car (as seen in the video above), and since the Contour HD camera is very light, it can be screwed on just about anywhere. My current setup is to have the cam above the passenger seat:https://pic.armedcats.net/l/li/lipadier/2011/02/05/Contour_Montage.JPG

Which results to this view:
https://pic.armedcats.net/l/li/lipadier/2011/02/05/Contour.jpg

I would like to have the cam central under the rear view mirror, but for that I have to buy another mount similiar to the one I have for the GPS seen in the picture above.

Greetings, lip

Last edited:
Already covered over at Stupid Drivers.

I just use this
PlkPKToRqRqw2PdYhskTo2fduLmtC-YXBSsCOmCf8iftDXTjKds84ivYLcYxNuk4AyXEUiLDW15uZKogk-drbfS3vA34CQFyJjKEKEEN_UZ11Q7FwCdHwWhhlgpO

It's pretty easy and the only camcorder I have is my phone :)

So as promised... The French Connection car chase route.
I couldn't figure out from the movie where he turns off New Utrecht and goes "parallel"* to the train and where he turns back, ended up doing it wrong and then driving back to 62nd street station where the chase ended. The soundtrack is Russian rap, which I thought was funny to pair with a video of a Russian dude driving a German sedan in Brooklyn. Also SOME of it is from GTA IV so its fitting.
Sorry for the shaking but the roads are REALLY bad and anything short of a legit camcorder with a good mount would be hard to secure properly.

*New Utrecht actually cuts at an angle so no road that you can see the train from would actually be parallel to it.
Part 1:
Yes I know I sort of ran that light, that intersection is stupidly designed can't see lights if trucks are in the way and my nose was already in the intersection when the light changed so rather than block the crosswalk I went through.

Part 2:

Last edited:

I'm using a belt strapping my Droid to my headrest...its the kind of belt w/out a hook but the belt goes through two metal "loops" that you cinch to tighten, works very well.

Like this: (because people are probably like "what on earth is that guy on about?")

1503_0930_300_f

Well, I just bought a used Contour HD online. So hopefully I'll have some kickass motorcycle vids to show when it gets warmer.

Reactions: lip
Just picked up a GoPro 960 so here's a backroads drive about 45min outside Vancouver, BC, Canada:

Available in 720p, no stereo so all you'll hear is the sound of gasoline being burnt at a profuse rate :)

I'm uploading a mundane in-city drive right now so I'll post it in about 2hrs.

Here it is, regular Vancouver BC on my way to pick up something from the print shop:

Those are great vids. I like the sound :)

Here is one from today. Took a drive across Galston Gorge in Northern Sydney after finishing work. Usually get stuck behind a Nissan X-Trail doing 20kph, but had a clear run today :)

Alright.

Since I was visiting my cousin last weekend to celebrate her 45th birthday, I took the opportunity to record a trip to the town of Salzgitter-Bad, where I grew up.

We moved there in 1969 and lived there for 23 years. So it covers the complete childhood from kindergarten up until I joined the military, including my wild first driving years. I moved away from there in 1992, because the Iron Curtain had fallen, my air force unit had become obsolete and I was transferred to the region I now live in.

It's a worker's town, the area lives from heavy industry like steel production (they're leading in hot-dip galvanizing for car bodies), railway coach and tram manufacturing, machine construction and others. Bosch and Alstom have factories there and Volkswagen has their main engine factory in Salzgitter (the engine for the Bugatti Veyron was made there, too). In earlier times there also were iron ore mines but they were abandoned in the 1970's, when it became unprofitable.

The town took in a lot of refugees from the parts of East Germany, which after the war had fallen to Poland and I believe that kind of patchwork history is also reflected in the architecture, which is a hotchpotch of buildings from about every era since the Middle Ages -- you will see old half-timbered houses, which are typical for medieval German towns, lots of workers' colonies from the pre- and post-war era but also some architectural sins of the 1960's and 1970's.

Streets are narrow (nothing for US-sized trucks for sure), the town is located 15 km north of the Harz Mountains, so the terrain is very hilly. Since I left there almost 20 years ago, the town has been more and more on skid row. There are nice new living areas with lots of wealthy people but they drive to the near big cities of Baunschweig or Hannover for a shopping trip, thus the local retail is suffering.

I drove around town and visited all the places of my childhood. Much has changed in 20 years, especially in the old town center, which used to be an open square and has been converted into a shopping mall. The roads are in a lousy condition (as you will definitely notice) -- they have been patched and patched again for years and years.

Since I was in the Jaaaaag with its strongly sloped windscreen, I had to use the long extension of my suction cup holder, which naturally lead to more shaking in the picture but I still think it's acceptable.

And to provide the right mood, I also added some music from the 1980's and early 1990's to reflect the nostalgia ;)

Part 1:

Watch out for:
- 02:09 min. at the end of the street on the right is the apartment building I used to live in between 1980 and 1992.
- 03:07, camera holder cannot cope with the Jaaag shooting forward and going up a steep hill at the same time.
- 04:56, Greifpark on the left is one of a couple of local recreational areas.
- 05:56, about 150 meters down the road to the left is the kindergarten I used to go to.
- 06:58, my primary school.
- 07:48, the house were I first lived in with my mother, after my parents got divorced in 1969. Stayed there only for a year or two.
- 08:12, the house on the opposite right corner of the crossing is where we lived until 1980.
- 08:45, the protestant church, where I got my confirmation.
- 09:43, my uncle and aunt still live in that house on the right, my cousin not anymore of course.
- 11:35, on the left, behind the trees, is a ruin of a 12th century village church.
- 12:42, my Realschule (secondary school)
- 13:37, Bohlweg street marks the northern end of the historic town center. You can tell by the half-timbered houses.
- 14:02, On the right is the market place with the town hall in an architectural style we call "1960's baroque".
- 14:07, on the left is St. Elisabeth hospital, run by the catholic church.

Part 2:

Watch out for:
- 00:23, train station on the left.
- 00:39, this used to be the open square I mentioned above and it looked like this before.
- 02:09, Kniestedter Kirche on the left, a 15th century church, which is no longer used for religious purposes but functions as a cultural center these days.
- 03:15, the gymnasium I went to.
- 04:47, entering the northern part of town, which was mainly built in the years before WWII, when the iron ore mining became important for the war industry. Almost all the houses here are from that area and were built for the workers and their families.
- 06:36, my other aunt and uncle lived in one of those houses on the right but I cannot remember exactly in which anymore. They moved away from there, when I was 11 or 12 years old.
- 11:47, local fire brigade, going south again down the main north-south road, which connects the several parts of Salzgitter.
- 14:00, re-entering the city center.
- 14:32, entering the heart of the old town core, which dates back to the 14th century. Resumed in part 3.

Part 3:

Watch out for:
- 00:12 Ratskeller hotel and restaurant, many family reunions were celebrated there, like birthdays, anniversaries, weddings, golden weddings, etc.
- 01:59, leaving town where we entered it, going on a short trip into the vicinity.
- 02:31, entering the village of Gitter, which also belongs to Salzgitter and where my cousin is living now.
- 03:20, leaving town now, going for a small trip into the vicinity, following a road I used to drive to work on for a couple of years. That was the time, when my driving was the most reckless imaginable. You cannot believe how I hammered the cars down those roads.
- 09:11, stop the video here! See the road ahead? 100 kph allowd there. That's where I used to overtake other cars. Sometimes it was really close. When I drive there now, I think I must have been completely bonkers. Let that be a warning to all 20+ year-olds, who think they are a driving god.

Last edited: