Sleeper Thread

Some of them even care about environment.
And the tax % is much lower for the diesel.

Ignore the taxes for now... the 650i simply consumes 70% more fuel than the 635d. Even if diesel is a bit more expensive as it apparently is in the US, you're still going to save shitloads of cash.
Also, the 650i has a range of under 600km on a full tank. A 635i will take you over 1000km between fillups. As a driver who worked itself towards the riches, that time saved is worth a lot of money. If you inherited it all and are looking for a way to get through the day then yes, spending more time at the pump sounds like a great idea.

Thats a sleeper, looks like sh**, and goes like nothing else.

Becaaauuuuse... you're reaching your destination faster, when you don't have to refuel every 200 kilometers?

There are two types of expensive car owners:

- Rich sons or heirs
- People who actually worked for their money

The latter ones will have it in their blood to always look for efficiency and the "best deal". They cannot help themselves, otherwise they wouldn't have become rich. And the simple fact is: When you're on the Autobahn a lot and drive long distances, a 635d will cost you about 3000 Euros per year less in fuel costs, than a 650i.

Money you can invest in a nice home cinema equipment for example. Or a nice holiday. Or some house renovation.

Good enough reason for you? ;)

Believe me: In the long run the Americans will learn to think that way, too. Your fuel prices will not always stay that ridiculously low ;) The Arab world is about to change its face -- which very likely will have an effect on oil prices -- and it's only a question of time, until your leaders will think about higher taxation of petrol in order to deal with what technically-speaking is national bankruptcy ;)

Thats where EV/FCEV come in :)
Also your assumption is wrong. Yes there are people who would prefer a 630i/635d but there are more than enough people who work for their money who wouldn't care at all. I work for my money and I will burn through a tank of gas in less than a day when I'm having fun. Got a friend who spent over 20Gs on building up his 240 and his not exactly rich. It's about what you enjoy.

As I said in the US luxury cars == fast/powerful cars always have always will be. We will never think the way you say either, plenty of people switched to smaller more fuel efficient cars when the prices hit $5-6/gallon and it didn't kill the large powerful luxury car. When you are paying 80Gs for a car you can afford the fuel simple as that. If you want to spend the money you got a 50G vehicle with a smaller motor. There are plenty 535s running around for those who don't want 550s or 7 series.

Last edited:
To throw more trollbait on the fire here: I would call the IS-F a sleeper in the definition of "new cars that don't look like they should be fast, but are anyway."

Just don't look at the quad tailpipes in the back. To me, it looks like another generic Lexus luxoblob.

Last edited:
To throw more trollbait on the fire here: I would call the IS-F a sleeper in the definition of "new cars that don't look like they should be fast, but are anyway."

Just don't look at the quad tailpipes in the back. To me, it looks like another generic Lexus luxoblob.

Only in black. The blue is far too shouty, but I agree 100%.

But those tailpipes...

It's powered by a 1.7-2.0L motor, maybe.
1973-porsche-914-1-7-liter.jpg

Oh. :p
porsche-914-ls1-corvette-conversion.jpg

Ignore that they're two different colors. The LS1 model has an ugly cowl induction hood.

Last edited:
^^^^^^ 914's are expected to have engine swaps, be it better porsche engines or v8's or various rotaries. I'm more shocked when I find one I CAN pass than one I can't.

I'll vouch for ya on this one. I did a job where the owner had an IS-F. I just thought it was a standard IS350 for the first 2 of the 3 days I saw it. I blame it on just BEING a Lexus. Who the hell pays attention to one?

Last edited:
This is a sleeper.
http://img696.imageshack.**/img696/7286/32055110844large6393822.jpg
http://img52.imageshack.**/img52/4325/32055110843large6409310.jpg

I'm sorry but how is anything with a rusted exterior a sleeper?

It look like sh**, but it will surprice you. Thats my definition on a sleeper.

because it looks like crap. if you end up next to it at the lights, you would start laughing...until it opens the throttle, and your mouth closes instantly

definitely a sleeper!

because it looks like crap. if you end up next to it at the lights, you would start laughing...until it opens the throttle, and your mouth closes instantly

definitely a sleeper!

The point of a sleeper is something that doesn't draw attention to itself. This is the polar opposite of that.

Not here in 'murica!! Plenty of rusty cars on the road that you wouldn't look twice at, or wouldn't bother to try and race.

-Robert

The point of a sleeper is something that doesn't draw attention to itself. This is the polar opposite of that.

something that at first sight is totally carbage, but turns out to pack some serious umpf is a sleeper as well

More frugal cars would give you more time to actually develop drivable EV/FCEVs and the associated infrastructure.
Talk about unrelated.... There is already a hydrogen infrastructure in place in CA (hence Honda Clarity only being offered there). Chargers for EVs are being installed in many places as well.

Most cars on the road are 4/6 cylinders even in NYC where cars tend to be on the more expensive side since they are not really necessary for commute. You seem to think that US is some kind of Road Warrior kind of land with V8s being only options for any car...

Anything that looks as fast as a 6 series needs a motor to match. A 635 would not be any faster than a 335 or a 535, the hell is the point?

Talk about unrelated.... There is already a hydrogen infrastructure in place in CA (hence Honda Clarity only being offered there). Chargers for EVs are being installed in many places as well.

One of fifty states for hydrogen or "many places" for batteries is hardly a developed infrastructure.

Most cars on the road are 4/6 cylinders even in NYC where cars tend to be on the more expensive side since they are not really necessary for commute. You seem to think that US is some kind of Road Warrior kind of land with V8s being only options for any car...

When the smallest engine on a reasonably sized Fusion is a 2.5l then yes, road warrior kind of land. A similarly sized Mondeo starts out with a modest 1.6l.

Anything that looks as fast as a 6 series needs a motor to match. A 635 would not be any faster than a 335 or a 535, the hell is the point?

A 630i is about as fast to 100 as a 330i.
There is no 530i, but the 630i is .4s faster than a 528i and .2s slower than a 535i.

A 550i is faster to 100 than a 650i - what is the point in having a 650i? :tease:
It's also about 10k? cheaper and much more practical.

Last edited:
One of fifty states for hydrogen or "many places" for batteries is hardly a developed infrastructure.
When did I ever say that we had a developed infrastructure? AFAIK Europe is not exactly electrically/hydrogen dreamland...
When the smallest engine on a reasonably sized Fusion is a 2.5l then yes, road warrior kind of land. A similarly sized Mondeo starts out with a modest 1.6l.
I feel bad for Europeans....
A 630i is about as fast to 100 as a 330i.
There is no 530i, but the 630i is .4s faster than a 528i and .2s slower than a 535i.
So the 630i is completely pointless. If you want a 2 door you can get a 330. Thank you for proving my point :)
A 550i is faster to 100 than a 650i - what is the point in having a 650i? :tease:
It's also about 10k? cheaper and much more practical.
6 is a 2 door and a 5 is a 4 door, makes sense to me really... It's like the A5 vs A4, they are largely the same car (same motors too) but one is cooler (the A5).