[16x04] February 13th, 2011

[16x04] February 13th, 2011

• Total voters
It was a 6 for me. The cheap car challenge which I loved so far was terrible. They should have stayed with the producer tests because theirs were awful. The news about the birds, really WTF? Interview was ok, albeit very long. I think he Zonda review was good but Jeremy should have let Richard do it as he deserve to do it. So all in all a mediocre episode which has me worried about this season.

First 10/10 of the series IMO.

Where was the Eddie Irvine lap mentioned in the Pre-Ep discussion? If I was just going to see outdated cars driving around the track, I could have tolerated one more Liana and one fewer 325i. Hopefully it was a scheduling issue and gets sorted out by the end of the season. Seeing the Liana out and about is pleasantly nostalgic for those who still fondly remember the old episodes.

I thought it was a bit crap. But the Pagani film was great and the SIARPC was pretty good too, so I gave it a 7/10.

The Cheap Car Challenge was a let down. For one, they never left the track, which has been annoying me for years. I'm sick of the same old background every single segment. Having all the presenters show up in the same car was lame. I've always thought it was a bit on the fake side that their choices were always a bit coordinated and I kinda wanted to see one where there was some overlap in the cars chosen. But having all 3 in the same car made it much less entertaining, imo anyway. And the stunt team nonsense at the end really annoyed me. If they were going to try it, then try it. But all they ended up doing was destroying a trio of old BMW's and I hate seeing them destroy old cars. Just have a proper demolition derby if that's all they're going to do, at least that might be realistic and entertaining.

Last edited:
I thought it was a bit crap. But the Pagani film was great and the SIARPC was pretty good too, so I gave it a 7/10.

The Cheap Car Challenge was a let down. For one, they never left the track, which has been annoying me for years. I'm sick of the same old background every single segment. Having all the presenters show up in the same car was lame. I've always thought it was a bit on the fake side that their choices were always a bit coordinated and I kinda wanted to see one where there was some overlap in the cars chosen. But having all 3 in the same car made it much less entertaining, imo anyway. And the stunt team nonsense at the end really annoyed me. If they were going to try it, then try it. But all they ended up doing was destroying a trio of old BMW's and I hate seeing them destroy old cars. Just have a proper demolition derby if that's all they're going to do, at least that might be realistic and entertaining.
I did not mind them showing up in the same car, just wish they did not pretended it was a accident.
But I'm sick to death of seeing the track, but I supposed they don't have time to do a longer shoot these days.
Is it just me or are their less people posting these days?

I rather enjoyed all of the episode.

A thought on the cheap car challenge being filmed on the track: I don't think it has anything to do with the budget, and probably not related to filming time constraints either. They've fallen into the trap of delivering bigger and more outrageous films, and so it may be a balancing act - maybe its kept low key on purpose. I was slightly disappointed they didn't leave on the road (I'd love another Alfa-type challenge :p) but it is what it is.

Ok - is Jezza on some sort of a bet? How many times in a row is he going to wear the green jacket? At least he's plucked the lint off it in this episode (joys of HD :lol:)

I gave it a 7. The BMW segment seemed way too pedestrian. James almost looked bored with what they were doing at times. Not a good sign. Almost seemed like it was a last minute "we need to get something in the can" segment. I love their cheap car segments in the past, but this one just seemed...lazy. Or rushed just to be filler for some other segment that may have fallen apart or wasn't ready yet. Who knows. I also agree that the entire episode being on the track really hurt it. Getting out in the countryside somewhere with the BMWs would've helped. Part of the fun of Top Gear to me is seeing them road tripping across the countryside or trekking out across Europe somewhere. So seeing nothing but a bland track the entire episode didn't help. And the stunt team bit at the end was a complete bust. In their own words, "that's not gone well". One of the weakest episodes of Top Gear in quite awhile for me. But still, I gave it a 7. Most other TV programs weakest episode in quite awhile would probably get a 3 or a 4 from me. So even at their worst (to me anyway), Top Gear is still better than most.

Reactions: TC
7/10 for me. I found some parts hilarious like the helium. The Zonda review seems to be the only redeeming part of this episode. The news was not really news, most about saluting to a bird? What the heck was that about? The McLaren MP4 is something to see for those who do not follow up on the MP4 (me). The cheap car challenge.... eh, I was left expecting more. A lot more. The entire segment felt really short, since the cars pretty much went no where. There was no sense of fun or adventure. Would have been more fun to see them fix up their BMWs in a certain way for a different challenge. Interviews were not bad, I did like the movie clip.

++ Speed soundtrack used. xD

It was generally good throughout, but I want some variety to the supercar tests. I don't want to see the same stuff again and again just with different cars. It says nothing to me.

Oh and what the fuck was the magpie bit in the news?

I dunno. I wouldn't say lazy, but they're not coming up with that many new ideas of late.

aye, the only chuckle I got out of that was when that guy in the audience shouted out that they were talking about Newcastle.

Cheap car challenge fell flat for me. That stunt team thing at the end could of been promising, but crashing on the first manoeuvre is a bit of a cop out. Wasn't even that fussed about the Zonda R either. Already know how friggin awesome it is.

I totally miss the shows from season 01 - 05, which made TG so popular. Almost nothing to do with the show now.

Challenge fell flat somewhat.

That Zonda sounds like an old Jaguar Group C car. :D Wishing a speedy recovery for Kubica after his accident = MAJOR and unexpected plus-point. Simon Pegg + Nick Frost = great ever since watching Hot Fuzz for the first time. To be honest... can't really give it a rating.

As for the other potential guest which didn't appear in this show... there's no guest announced as of this moment for next week's show, so...

I would have LOVED to have seen the boys do a proper job of the stunt team - yes they probably would be a bit crap, but I am sure that if they did give it a proper go, they would do well.

This episode gave me many laughs - I enjoyed the BMW Challenge. Helium was hilarious and although it's not something I've ever wondered about, I am glad that I do know now :) Would have loved to have heard the Hamster's helium squeak.

The Magpie bit didn't bother me as I found it interesting to know about customs from another country (I am Australian) although I guess I can see why it is a bit 'odd'. However, it is a great episode. ETA: Look, I'd be happy watching them talk about absolutely nothing of importance for 1 hour, I couldn't care less!

Last edited:
Well, let?s go through it all ... cheap identical-car challange ... had it?s downs ... and ups - on balance I enjoyed it. Did have this "unplanned" vibe to it wich I like ...
News - the whole bird-thing annoyed me quite a bit.
Zondas :woot:
Guests - awsome. Love them both, they make superb guests. Finally again a SIARPC that I enjoyed.

The Zondas and the Guests place this episode quite a lot above average for me ... 8/10

Killed myself laughing with the helium bits. Car challenge didn't look too scripted when it came down to them having the same car so that was fine by me. Would've wanted Richard to do the Zonda but can't have everything. :( Simon Pegg and Nick Frost... you're my heroes!!!

9/10 out of me though I would've given it somewhat lower than that. On the basis that I thoroughly enjoyed the SIARPC and helium.

Poor episode for me- a very disappointing challenge, which literally felt cheap for being solely based on the track. Zonda stuff was okay but nothing really new- just Jeremy on the track again- and even though I knew what they were talking about, I could feel sooo many people glazing over during that over-long magpie material. Only the two guests really entertained me this week, which is a rarity.

Not been much in this series so far for me- it's really feeling tired now.

I liked it. Made me laugh out loud several times.

I think maybe they're facing some sort of insurance issue over their stunts? Maybe going out of the track gets too expensive insurance-wise... Just a theory.

Edit: also found the magpie thing interesting. Didn't know about that tradition. Is there a particular reason? Maybe change the bird's name to Spitfire and then you can really salute it :D

Last edited: