Your Camera Equipment

Expectations are fine, but how do you convince them in the store to let you test it? The stores I've been to the sellers will complain once its out of the box and original packaging and used, and if the buyer doesn't want it, they will have a hard time selling it to another.

and on the flipside, I would not want to pay for a $5000 lens that someone else got to handle, put on their camera, and then decline to buy.

In Hong Kong they allow this. US online stores like Amazon, BH and Adorama allow this as well.

In Manila they allow this once you bought it then you can keep on trying until you get a good copy.

I am conveying information Alok may not be aware off. It is up to him to ignore or follow up on it.

In Hong Kong they allow this. US online stores like Amazon, BH and Adorama allow this as well.

In Manila they allow this once you bought it then you can keep on trying until you get a good copy.

I am conveying information Alok may not be aware off. It is up to him to ignore or follow up on it.

Now that is interesting info, I will have to look into this policy of theirs. If a copy has been turned down, I hope they don't try to resell it again.

You make that sound so easy, I've not been to a store where they will let you thoroughly test the merchadise you're about the purchase. The demo model, sure, but not the actual one ready to be purchased, new in box.
Seriously? Then find another store.

Both Hanks and Donnyboy's, here in Canada, will let you test and play around with any major piece of camera equipment you're about to buy (the very one you're buying, not just the demo model)

Only really really shifty stores have no return policy and deciding you don't like something in the store or deciding you don't like something once you have it home are ultimately the same so...

Or if they don't let you play with the non-demo model just buy the thing then and there and return it before you even leave the store if it's not to your satisfaction. :lol:

Last edited:
Now that is interesting info, I will have to look into this policy of theirs. If a copy has been turned down, I hope they don't try to resell it again.

I dont know about you but I dont make it a habit to get shafted by the stores I do business with.

From what I can recall the 200-400mm VR becomes fuzzy at 20m or 75m. It could be attributed to atmospheric distortion but who knows.

Test your copy before buying. When the development of the Canon 200-400mm IS Ext 1.4x was announced a lot of Nikon 200-400mm VR owners were mentioning that some copies had focusing issues as a certain distance. I am looking for the specific reference but I cannot find it at the moment.

Anyway my point is I hope you get a good copy.

Thanks for the info, but by the time of writing this I had already picked up the lens. The store I got it from is one of the biggest names in photo stores in Gerrmany, but they only had a demo lens, so they had to order mine. I didnt get to test it unfortunately, although I mounted it yesterday and did some sample shots, will be putting it to proper use at an ice lake in Austria this weekend.

After having used it, I am having some doubts as to how silent the silent wave motor is supposed to be... I have a feeling that the internal focus ring is not perfectly alligned. It could just be me looking for defects and seeing or hearing things.... Working my way up an NPS membership, that should atleast offer good service...

Thanks for the info, but by the time of writing this I had already picked up the lens. The store I got it from is one of the biggest names in photo stores in Gerrmany, but they only had a demo lens, so they had to order mine. I didnt get to test it unfortunately, although I mounted it yesterday and did some sample shots, will be putting it to proper use at an ice lake in Austria this weekend.

After having used it, I am having some doubts as to how silent the silent wave motor is supposed to be... I have a feeling that the internal focus ring is not perfectly alligned. It could just be me looking for defects and seeing or hearing things.... Working my way up an NPS membership, that should atleast offer good service...

In which case test the heck out of it before the return/swap period ends.

I dont know about you but I dont make it a habit to get shafted by the stores I do business with.

From what I can recall the 200-400mm VR becomes fuzzy at 20m or 75m. It could be attributed to atmospheric distortion but who knows.

Neither do I, but so far all of my purchases have been good, so it's never been an issue.

Looks like I'll be back photographing soon. My father got a Fujifilm S2 Pro from a friend of his for free and now he's giving it to me. It'll be interesting to try out a DSLR using the F-mount that was not made by Nikon :)

I think it looks kinda quirky...in a good way :p

allroundview.jpg

The weird thing is that it uses two power sources: two lithium batteries to power all the camera functions (it's based on a regular film body) and 4xAA to power the digital side. Hopefully it's not too power hungry on those lithiums...

In which case test the heck out of it before the return/swap period ends.

I couldnt thank you enough... After I picked up the lens, I was at work at a snow track in Austria and I was not at all happy with the AF speed and something was truly odd about the internal focus ring. So today I went back to the store and they actually swapped it without much questioning for these:

2185_AF-S-NIKKOR-70-200mm-f-2.8G-ED-VR-II_front.png

because my old 70-200 is pretty much used up. For the longer tele end, I got

2171_AF-S-NIKKOR-400mmf-2.8G-ED-VR_front.jpg

It's the 400mm 2.8. I think I need to start working out because the damn thing is impossible to use handheld.

Your welcome. I am glad that you were able to avoid a world of hurt. When I am in Europe sneak me into the photo pit. ;)

For any of my white primes I use this Gitzo Series 5 6X Traveler 6-section Monopod. The last monopod I'd ever need to buy.

It is the lightest & most compact 25kg-load capacity monopod in the market today. Load capacity may be excessive but consider your body weight & movement applied on it when it is operated.

EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II USM by alabang, on Flickr

Only 3.85kg ;) Shipping next quarter.

I couldnt thank you enough... After I picked up the lens, I was at work at a snow track in Austria and I was not at all happy with the AF speed and something was truly odd about the internal focus ring. So today I went back to the store and they actually swapped it without much questioning for these:

2185_AF-S-NIKKOR-70-200mm-f-2.8G-ED-VR-II_front.png

because my old 70-200 is pretty much used up. For the longer tele end, I got

2171_AF-S-NIKKOR-400mmf-2.8G-ED-VR_front.jpg

It's the 400mm 2.8. I think I need to start working out because the damn thing is impossible to use handheld.

E-P2 arrived in the mail today. Here it is with its viewfinder and lenses. Manual focus has now turned from being an interesting novelty (turning into frustration when trying to do it in bright sunlight) to very easy and a joy.

Hmm maybe this has something todo with throwing your camera around all the time ;) Alok you are crazy !

Hey I have never dropped it once :) It's autofocus has been repaired twice, and it has seen a gazillion events...

Wow, I just realized how awful my cheap CPL is (meh, I had a nice single coated one but lost it and replaced it for cheap). I swear it didn't used to be that bad. Oh well, I need a larger one anyways, and some stepping rings.

Well I broke down and picked up the 24-70 f2.8 G lens

5521371694_91c9f26cdf_z.jpg

5521372574_057c38fce1_z.jpg