Europe vs Europe

Congratulations are in order, Belgium have claimed the world record for the longest duration without a government in the modern world
Congratulations indeed! Practically every country with a functioning government envies you. Because governments never achieve good things.

52 states to choose from, you think i picked that one by accident? :p

52? Are you counting Iraq and Afghanistan. :p

To celebrate Belgian independence from its own government I'm gonna go to a Belgian restaurant tonight :)

I like how "Europe vs Europe" has turned into a lovefest for Belgium! :mrgreen:

But if you have mayo with your chips, you're doing it wrong. Stoofvleessaus is where it's at! :drool:

I like how "Europe vs Europe" has turned into a lovefest for the Flemish! :mrgreen:

But if you have mayo with your chips, you're doing it wrong. Stoofvleessaus is where it's at! :drool:

Fixed that for you. :p

Belgium has a very weird and strange border with the Neverland, specially around Baarle-Nassau.

I for one like the way our goverment and public offices are run. They work so smootly and nice.

I like how "Europe vs Europe" has turned into a lovefest for Belgium! :mrgreen:

But if you have mayo with your chips, you're doing it wrong. Stoofvleessaus and mayo is where it's at! :drool:

FTFY :p One can not have chips without stoofvleessaus and mayo.
And since this thread is now about Belgium and chips, have you ever had a "mitrailliet"? It's basicly a baguette with some meat (meatball or sth similar), fries, sauce and some veggies like on a normal baguette :D It is delicious I tell you.

That?s the brown stuff, right? I like trying new things ... but that stuff looks ... bad. I prefer Fritessaus ... :)
Indeed, it is. I really did like it, plus it really fills you up.

And since this thread is now about Belgium and chips, have you ever had a "mitrailliet"? It's basicly a baguette with some meat (meatball or sth similar), fries, sauce and some veggies like on a normal baguette :D It is delicious I tell you.
I think the guy coming into the chips place after me ordered that, it did look good. I'll have to try it the next time I'm in Belgium.

The food was tasty in case any of you care :p I'm almost ready to go to the country of origin :p

@ prizak, glad it was good.....I never knew ther were such things as Belgian restaurants abroad....that's something I don't see the Dutch pulling off :whistle:

Regarding mayo and fries,
I for one can not stand the taste or smell of mayo.....stoofvlees(sauce) is where it's at, btw if you had not figured it out, stoofvlees simply means 'stew' , very comparable to Scottish stew.
It's also made differently in various parts of Belgium, here they make it sweeter, with actual sugar and some dark semi-sweetish beer (amateurs often use Leffe :idiot:) for extra flavor. While in Antwerp for example they typicaly use no sugar, and often a more bitter beer or none at all, resulting in a compleetly different taste.

And, for a compleetly unrelated shameless plug: may I direct your eyes to my area's main export : the best damn fruit in the world, internationaly renouned for its quality.

19_jonagold1.png

kersen.jpg

That and there are pears, strawberries, raspberries, red berries and pretty much everything we manage to grow on a tree or bush......

In spring tourists (from as far as farking Japan!) come down here to see the orchards in bloom.......unfortunatly most of em bring or rent a bike <_<

I can't throw a rock whithout hitting an orchard around here (it realy is all you see) and with the beginning of the strawberry season in April all the way down to appleseason in late September orchards are constantly filled with something delicious at any given time.

You have never had fruit until you have picked it right of the tree....

Last edited:
And, for a compleetly unrelated shameless plug: may I direct your eyes to my area's main export : the best damn fruit in the world, internationaly renouned for its quality.
That takes me back to "Europe vs Europe". Near where I live, we've got orchards

orchard.jpg

producing delicious apples, cherries, pears and many more... as well as the various liqueurs made from those, of course. Then we've got loads and loads of vineyards:

vineyard.jpg

That means there are hundreds of winemakers around who will sell you their produce straight from the cellar. :happy: If you take certain regional trains, you will travel straight through the vineyards for miles, which is very nice, and if you get out at the right stop, you can walk through them which is even better. Why? The winemakers usually don't mind it if you pick a couple of grapes without damaging the vine and those grapes are better than anything else. The best thing that ever happened to me was meeting a winemaker who was supervising the harvest. We chatted for a moment and he said that he wasn't going to harvest any more of the ripe and delicious grapes because he'd reached his quota (which exists to keep prices somewhat stable). :woot:

Last edited:
fruit harvesters don't really care if you pick AN apple from a tree, but during harvest season you tend to see a lot of people on their bicycles with saddle bags filled to the brim with freshly picked apples/pears.

quite understandable they can't laugh with that...

Okay, actually it's more a case of Italy hating us with a passion.

Of course! your mafia and criminals didn't take long to find out that is less easy to end up in prison in Italy than in Romania, and they all moved on here, so most of the time when you meet a Rumanian here, you meet a dumb, ignorant, fearsome, aggressive guy who's trying to rob you.

Can you please send us the good guys too? They're all in ireland, or UK, or Romania!

---

Also, seeing all this talk about Belgium, It turned out that the most boring place in Europe... is the most interesting place in Europe.

Last edited: