How do YOU deal with road rage?

I have temper tantrums on the road, I'm impatient, but... that's usually just yelling loudly in my car and frantic waving of arms.

I know people will make mistakes, i don't mind that, unlike when i first got my license, I'm a "christian" motorist, i'll let people out in traffic, i always remember my indicators, follow the rules, including speed limits.

But when you're on a one way road, you're turning left, you get into the left lane at the intersection, pulling up next to a car in the right lane, chuckle a bit at the sillyness of someone turning left in the right lane... then they honk at you and give you the finger, like YOU did something wrong....
RAAWR!
HEMILY SMASH PUNY MORTALS!!!
I'm driving a car much more solid than your generic 5 feet of plastic car, TRY ME!

I also have a odd habit... when you get to a roundabout, going tu turn right, there's two lanes to the right, the ones coming from left stay in the inner lane, outer lane is for people turning right... and they STILL stop and wait til the roundabout is completely devoid of cars! i won't honk, i'll be revving my engine, in the Buick... that scares people, it sounded very angry, and it's big compared to the average euro car, i've even once... when i had the Mustang II, started doing a burnout behind a car that had stopped in THE MIDDLE of the road to talk with a pedestrian, blocking ALL traffic, they got the hint, though.. the Mustang II didn't have a horn.

but yeah... i'm agressive in traffic when people do retarded stuff, but normally, pretty calm and collected.

I don't get road rage so much as constant road annoyance. I live in one of the strangest places for driving, most people around here drive under the speed limit, use no blinkers, take turns at 5kph, take about 4 seconds to respond at traffic lights and pretty much switch on their high beams when they buy their car and never turn them off again.

I usually just joke with whoever is sitting in the car with me at the time. on the highway I just go 120kph and pass everyone.

Swear a bit to myself, maybe shake my head a little, then I suck it up and get on with trying to get to where I'm going.

Seriously, If I bothered getting worked up about every stupid driver I encounter, which is an average of two-three every single time I go out in my car, I would probably have some awful stress-related medical complaints by now!

I'm an aggressive asshole who tries to go vigilante on other assholes. It's not normally in me, but the Truck brings it out.

For instance if I'm being tailgated I love spontaneously throwing on the brakes and scaring the dick behind me into thinking there's gonna be a trailer hitch coming through his windshield soon. (I rarely take off my trailer hitch)

I'm an aggressive asshole who tries to go vigilante on other assholes. It's not normally in me, but the Truck brings it out.

For instance if I'm being tailgated I love spontaneously throwing on the brakes and scaring the dick behind me into thinking there's gonna be a trailer hitch coming through his windshield soon. (I rarely take off my trailer hitch)

brakechecks are VERY effective!

I have all the patience in the world for people who just make genuine mistakes but who pay attention and try not to. I'll wait as long as it takes, or let them in/out/manoeuvre to fix their mistake happily.

I rage when someone fucks up because they either weren't paying any attention, or they were trying to gain some time or space by inconveniencing me.

When I drove in California I wanted to shoot the driver of every second car on the road. The previous sentence just describes the modus operandi there.

I've made stupid mistakes myself, even caused accidents, so I try very hard not to get angry when someone does something stupid. Chronic offenders, though, I have to really push myself to just avoid them. Way too often I run into people dodging through traffic, tailgating, undertaking, and squeezing into tiny gaps just to gain one place in a queue of cars....... that's what really gets me angry.

On the horn, I use it very rarely, only as a warning or if someone cuts me off and may not have even noticed me (sort of a wake-up call).

I was heading down a semi-urban, dual-lane road (talking same direction here) yesterday when I approached a marked crossing area for snowmobiles to get across the street to the lake. Seeing three guys waiting patiently on their machines, I stop to let them cross. I flash my hazards for a moment as I brake, the guy behind me understands and stops. One snowmobile crosses the street. As the next guy is passing in front of me, a Massachusetts douche in a Grand Marquis whips into the left lane and proceeds dangerously fast toward the crossing. The snowmobile rider quickly stops to avoid getting creamed by this moron, who screeches to a halt. Right in front of the snowmobile. He then shrugs and drives off. Everyone witnessing this act of douchebaggery is pissed. As he waited in the line of cars at the stop light up ahead, I stopped next to him and gently knocked on his window. I then proceed to yell something laced with profanity at him and flip him off.

Eh, he wouldn't have learned even if I had remained civil. :p

Haha, that's right. Get out of the car and take it right up to their face, then they can't hide behind their car.

-Robert

I was heading down a semi-urban, dual-lane road (talking same direction here) yesterday when I approached a marked crossing area for snowmobiles to get across the street to the lake. Seeing three guys waiting patiently on their machines, I stop to let them cross. I flash my hazards for a moment as I brake, the guy behind me understands and stops. One snowmobile crosses the street. As the next guy is passing in front of me, a Massachusetts douche in a Grand Marquis whips into the left lane and proceeds dangerously fast toward the crossing. The snowmobile rider quickly stops to avoid getting creamed by this moron, who screeches to a halt. Right in front of the snowmobile. He then shrugs and drives off. Everyone witnessing this act of douchebaggery is pissed. As he waited in the line of cars at the stop light up ahead, I stopped next to him and gently knocked on his window. I then proceed to yell something laced with profanity at him and flip him off.

Eh, he wouldn't have learned even if I had remained civil. :p

Snowmobile crossing, that is awesome!

Snowmobile crossing, that is awesome!

Meh not really, they're inconvenient for everyone involved. And VERY rarely will a car ever give a snowmobiler right of way. I can honestly say a car has never stopped for me on my sled no matter how busy the traffic.

Ahaha, I haven't been driving all that much lately because I live in a teeny tiny town where I can walk everywhere (actually I skate everywhere but yeah.)
Given that I haven't witnessed much road rage or had it myself, I have simple views on it (the same views I take when someone is unwarrantably pissed off at me...) I just laugh at them :D

The car I drive is a diesel. If somebody is tailgating me I'll cover their car in a wonderful thick black diesel cloud.

Good old dirty diesels. Suppose it helps I've messed with the injection pump.

Getting in the face of a random stranger is never safe, harmless looking people might have guns and if you were to come up to my car and start banging on the window and yelling I would be tempted to pull it out personally, because you will be giving the impression you could hurt me at any time.

Situational awareness.

-Robert

Situational awareness or not, if you come up to a car in Texas or many other states and start banging on the glass, then verbally abusing the driver through the slightly lowered window despite attempts to de-escalate, you are probably going to get shot. The other party may not even have charges filed against them - "He needed killin'" has actually been a successful defense in Oklahoma, for example.

Doesn't matter if it's a gun-friendly state or not, either. If you try it to the wrong person in California, despite it being all but illegal to carry and the state's draconian gun regulations, they're not going to wait for you to start your harangue. They're just going to roll down the window and shoot you.

A 28-year-old man was fatally shot after an argument on a freeway ramp outside Los Angeles, California, police said Saturday.

The man got into a verbal altercation with the occupant or occupants of a car as he was merging onto I-105 on Friday evening, Downey Police said in a statement.

Most of the time, road rage shootings in anti-gun California end up in the unsolved cold case files because of the lack of evidence at the scene. As for the shooting incidents themselves, they're pretty common.

You might want to rethink your approach.

Last edited:
My actual first thought when he posted that was "you are going to go up to the car, it will be spectre, and he will shoot you." :lol: