Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

I'm going to try updating all drivers for the mobo tonight, maybe even BIOS.

Fuck you YouTube for not working full screen on SD videos! Or letting me to change from 360p to 480p! I'm guessing AdBlock has something to do with it but with all the region restrictions on YouTube, especially music, they don't have any right to show me commercials.

Last edited:
Does anyone have experience with this?
And is it good? The reviews seem good but I'd like to get a wider view if possible. Especially when it is at a good price for me.

Does anyone have experience with http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Acer+-+20%22+Widescreen+Flat-Panel+LCD+Monitor/9754465.p?id=1218167408621&skuId=9754465]this?[/url]
And is it good? The reviews seem good but I'd like to get a wider view if possible. Especially when it is at a good price for me.

My brother has the previous generation. I have the 21.5" 1920x1080 version.

For the price, it cannot be beat. TN-haters need not apply and the vertical viewing angle is poor, but what do you want for $100? Picture is sharp and colorful though not too good at blacks. The speakers are almost but not quite completely useless.

When we were shopping, Best Buy had almost the exact same deal on the old model, and it was higher resolution, larger, and cheaper than anything else we could find sub-$120.

Well I don't plan on using the built in speakers, so I don't care much about them. Probably pop out tomorrow to get it.

I might pick one of those up myself.

Why does Logitech setpoint hate me? It always forgets my settings when my machine powers down and sometimes forgets how to do things at random times... like right now it won't let me use the scroll wheel button for F5.

Nope. I've got USB ports out the wazoo with my desktop (including a few USB3) so no hubs. I shall try and remember to test a couple things with the USB thing tomorrow though.

You rock. Thanks.

What about the Airport Extreme? It's PC or mac, Simultaneous dual-band, and can handle 4 USB devices (with a powered hub) including printers (of which I have two). So, I could have my laser printer, my injet all-in-one and two USB drives all hooked up to the one wireless router (which I need to buy anyways)...while the price is higher than I would like to pay, is there really anything out there that compares for the price?

I have to admit, of all Apple products, Airport is the one I'd be most likely to be caught buying.... friend has one and it's absolutely rock solid, while most routers I've used like to drop the connection every now and then.

You rock. Thanks.

Alright, USB plugged into router, on the laptop I get read speeds of ~6 MB/sec and write speeds of ~2.7 MB/sec. On the desktop over the wired connection I get read speeds of ~13 MB/sec and writes of ~3.7 MB/sec. USB drive plugged straight into either computer yields read speeds of ~28 MB/sec and write speeds of 19 MB/sec. So, crappy results. Doesn't bother me though, since as I said the feature is pretty worthless to me anyway.

I do have one niggle with the router though- at night the lights on the front turn my room into a disco. :lol:

*laughs* I've heard that about a lot of products lately. I wish more devices had a "HIGH/LOW" light level like my 25-year-old clock radio.

Thanks, man! Hmm...I was expecting it to be slower, so this might all still work for what I need it to. 25% speed, though...that is pretty slow isn't it?

What did you plan on using it for?

Right now I've got my desktop, a netbook, a net-top-type thing I use as an HTPC. I'd like to have a network drive that any computer can save to, and access. Basically, I'd like to use the router+hard drive as a low-power file server. The airport extreme has the benefit of also being able to function as a print server, which would be handy, too. The bummer is that the files I'd like to "serve" are mostly going to be movies, TV shows and music. I don't like having to turn on computer A to access a video on it to watch it on computer B.

Well, copying things back and forth will probably be pretty slow, but it should work just fine for what you want.

So i need a new phone but they all seem so fucking similar its impossible to choose what one. (haven't bought a proper new phone in 5 years)

atm I'm slightly leaning towards an Iphone because my ipod's battery is getting pretty useless now and o2 has a good monthly deal going on, but I'm basically open to suggestions of any smartphone that isn't a blackberry (a couple of my friends have them, fuck blackberries).

Firefox is acting funny on me. Sometimes when I click a link it will send me a page or two back instead of forward to the link I clicked on.

Any ideas?

When an image hosted at phyrefile.com is shrunk down in this forum, and I click on the "click here to see it full-size" link, my browser enlarges it, but it also openes the images phyrefile's page in another window.

It only does this with phyrefile.com . What do I need to do to fix this? (besides turning off the "resize image" forum preference)

Windows 7 64 and...I know, I know...ie8.

Last edited: