Random Thoughts... [Photographic Edition]

Probably by just setting your camera's USB settings so that it shows up as an external drive, I think it's called mass storage mode or something like that.

Depends on the camera. Nikon, in their infinite wisdom, decided actually remove that functionality from the D90 (and upward, as far as I know). The only option is the uber-crappy PTP.

Are you serious? What's wrong with using a card reader?

Depends on the camera. Nikon, in their infinite wisdom, decided actually remove that functionality from the D90 (and upward, as far as I know). The only option is the uber-crappy PTP.
D700 works fine as an external drive. :think:

If by original you mean that there's only that one photo, then it's not HDR (which I'm guessing is indeed the case since the grass shadows are black and the clouds' rims are unrecoverable). It's pretty good processing though, but IMO the shadows are too blue.

edit: oh, sorry, just noticed the clouds move. I could have easily gotten that end result from a single raw. Like I said the grass shadows are black and the clouds are still blown out, either your exposures weren't far enough apart or you put too much contrast on it because the gain in dynamic range is negligable.

Last edited:
Oh no it's not 1 photo, it's strung up from a series of 5 pictures

https://pic.armedcats.net/l/lu/lurkerpatrol/2011/02/27/EVs.png

I was trying to get the sky to be slightly darker and the mountains to be lighter since at a 0 EV change the mountains seemed dull. But I see now what you mean by overly blue shadows. I'm just starting to use photomatix so I'll play with it and see if that was a saturation issue or something. Thanks!

This last one has significantly more dinamic range. Just look at the blown highlights which now seem fine and the shadows.

Awesome :thumbsup: thank you!

That may be, but I took a bunch of varying exposure shots at redrock with the hopes of just practicing HDR. I want to get into it and try it out in different areas and whatnot.

No harm done anyways, I can always work on the 0 EV file and leave the other ones be.

If ever I shoot HDR, I'll often then try to get the same or better effect with a single shot, just to see if I can. If anything, it improves your ability to save shots where you didn't THINK that HDR was necessary and it afterwards turns out that just maybe it was.

Last edited:
That actually sounds like a real good practice for messing around in lightroom/photoshop what have you, and seeing for yourself if you can extract the details from your image. I should try that on the 0 EV shots here.

One question I've been wondering is when do you really need HDR? Am I right in just assuming it's one of those things that's just tried on certain shots to see how it comes out, and it doesn't really have a more practical use apart from that?

Whatever the case is, I still wanted to try it as it's like finding a new tool in photoshop among the palette to play with.

I've only found it a necessity when there are WAAAY too many stops in an image (5?). Say from an interior looking out, and the foreground and background are both important to the image (this matters too! no point trying so hard to capture information when all it does is draw the eye AWAY from the focal point of your image)