The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

You need to get that cable checked. It could just be in need of lube but it could also be frayed. If you think riding with it is fun, try riding without it.

I'm fairly sure it isn't frayed. It is stiff because the stupid thing sat outside for 7 years and all of the lube went away. Even now, it still only has about 2200 miles on the clock.

Some wires are selflubricant, or have some sort of coating, which is actually damaged by oil or other stuff you might use to "fix" a stuck bowden wire. If you know or can find the productID of the link used you should be able to see if they have that coating.

If it is an original cable on you newer Honda it should have that coating, on your older ones it is possible but maybe the rubber housing got old and adds to the resistance or the sealing let some debris through.

Either way, be prepared for a stuck or broken link.

If you really don't want to change it rightaway, put it atleast in reach. Shouldn't cost that much and if it does let go you have a spare.

I already posted this to Stupid Drivers, but I think it bears crossposting, just as a warning that anti-motorcycle idiots are out there and that we all need to be on the lookout for them.

CrazyJeeper and I encountered an idiot driver last night, while we were returning from a motorcycle ride. Best viewed in 720, etc., etc.

[video=youtube;VjW-euXnSH0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjW-euXnSH0[/video]

The best part is that I think the driver (who appeared to be female, as did the other three occupants of the vehicle) then got back on the freeway, having exited for no apparent reason.

Thing is, she was already under the limit to start with. Even if she thought he was a cop (in which case she deserves the stupid designation even more because there's no cop bikes around here that look like that or have the same light signature), there was no reason for sudden hard braking. In fact, that braking would cause a cop to pull her over!

Meh.

They might have been unsure of the exit - that's why they got back on. I expect that kind of behaviour so it doesn't bother me much, at least she didn't swerve back on at the last second.

Where I'm from people are so spooked by speed cameras they slam on their brakes if they even think they spot one, do you really expect the average person to know the "light signature" of a police bike? :lol: And most people indicate in exit only/turn only lanes, not necessary but doesn't hurt anyone.

The thing that annoyed me really was that I was moving 5-10mph faster than the Mini. I was planning to overtake them and slide in front to exit. The driver in the Mini decided to speed up which closed the gap between it and the car that I was fast approaching in my lane, so I slid over behind the Mini, only to have them suddenly brake. If they were going to slow down like that anyways, why did they speed up first?

Where I'm from people are so spooked by speed cameras they slam on their brakes if they even think they spot one, do you really expect the average person to know the "light signature" of a police bike? :lol: And most people indicate in exit only/turn only lanes, not necessary but doesn't hurt anyone.

I expect people to NOT be dumb enough to brake check what COULD be a police motorcycle (if that's what they thought it was). That will get you pulled over instantly.

I guess you guys have never driven in the northeast.

Yes, yes, I know, Massholes. But around here the police actually do their jobs and bust people who drive like that (when they see them), so this counts as stupid driving. As best I can tell, in the NE, all they do is sit around eating doughnuts and running speed traps.

They also tailgate anyone in the left lane on the highway. I've never seen a state trooper travel under 80mph.

The driver in the Mini decided to speed up which closed the gap between it and the car that I was fast approaching in my lane, so I slid over behind the Mini, only to have them suddenly brake. If they were going to slow down like that anyways, why did they speed up first?

That really gets on my tits. More so in a car because on a bike (at least in Tokyo) I can be more aggressive and squeeze into smaller spaces etc.

I expect people to NOT be dumb enough to brake check what COULD be a police motorcycle (if that's what they thought it was). That will get you pulled over instantly.

It was one possible explanation, another could be that they were unsure of whether to exit or not, the driver braked and then noticed the bike, they all turned round to see.

Not saying what she did was not dumb, but technically you should have enough distance so that it won't be a problem, and like I've said before , I ride like everyone is out to kill me so something like doesn't phase me. Riding through Tokyo is a bit different, really sharpens your reflexes.

Nobody said that it was a problem, per se. CJ had plenty of room to brake, for one. We're just pointing out the stupid.

Not saying what she did was not dumb, but technically you should have enough distance so that it won't be a problem, and like I've said before , I ride like everyone is out to kill me so something like doesn't phase me. Riding through Tokyo is a bit different, really sharpens your reflexes.

Well, I didn't hit the Mini so there was obviously enough space. My accident back in September involved a mistake on my part in being too close to traffic so I have been very mindful of that gap ever since.

Sorry Spectre, but that is barely a blip on the radar of stupidity.

Yes, but it's stupidity caught on video. :D Which doesn't happen often enough, IMHO.

Last edited:
After nearly seeing the cop rear-ended yesterday I've started running my camera whenever I'm in the car. I just wish it would power or charge by USB so I didn't have to bring it in to charge it up.

GoPros can be powered or charged via USB. :tease: In fact they have to, because their only external interface port is a mini-USB port.

I use my HP camcorder in the car. I can charge my Contour via USB, but I haven't gotten it set up yet and I want to run two cameras: the camcorder for the dash and the Contour to move around to get cool angles when off roading.

The Contour will be on my helmet whenever I ride, I just need to get a mount for it.