Show us your Lego!

How do I set up a virtual machine?

How do I set up a virtual machine?
I would make an attempt at running the software in modern Windows first, there's a chance it would work.

Otherwise you'll need virtualisation software (VirtualBox is free) and the actual install media for Windows 98. You may even be able to find a VM ready-made in *certain* places, so you just plug it into VirtualBox (or whatever you're using) and go.

So the 8258 Crane Truck arrived last week and for the last two days, I've been busy building it (while playing GT5 B-Spec or watching TV :)). It's a rather complex model with 1877 parts (2nd biggest part count ever for a Technic set) and the instructions are divided into 4 sheets. Here's a few photos, taken at the beginning of each sheet:

And the completed model:

Extended arm and outriggers:

The XL PF motor powers the crane arm and the outriggers and everything works well, though there is a bit of gear crunching at the extreme positions. The completed model is quite large and looks simply stunning - it's gonna stay assembled forquite some time. If there's anyone considering a purchase of this set - go for it before it's too late as it's a 2009 Technic flagship and might get discontinued soon.

That crunching you hear are the clutches in the power actuators. The sound is normal and tells you that the limit has been reached.

Last edited:
[video=youtube;lNP34a-3_qY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNP34a-3_qY&feature=email&email=comment_received[/video]

It says a lot about the durability of LEGO when you can build a 1600 RPM engine out of them.

He has, but he sells the engines, so I doubt he'll just give the instructions away.

Nicjasno, I'm wondering, running an engine like that at 1600 rpm? what does that do to the actual moving parts? It's just plastic afterall and I doubt Lego designed them for those speeds and forces, I can see them wearing out very quickly no?

He has, but he sells the engines, so I doubt he'll just give the instructions away.

I don?t get it... Who buys these engines and what do they do with them?

I?m also fairly sure that if I hadn?t at some point stopped playing with Lego, meaning I was up to speed about all the lego parts that are currently availabe, and had kept expanding my collection, I could probably reverse engineer the thing just from the posted pictures and videos if given enough time. Which would, you know, be a lot more fun than buying it from someone and then just looking at it.