2.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
128GB Solid State Drive
8x Double-Layer SuperDrive
MBP 15"HR Antiglare WS Display
AMD Radeon HD 6750M - 1GB of GDDR5 memory
mbp_hero20110224.png

The picture you posted is the wrong model, that's not the anti-glare screen :p

I really don't care for glossy screens, but the MacBook Pro is just so much less attractive without the black edge-to-edge bezel. I really wish Apple would've figured out a way to leave the lid design the same on the matte screen.

Thanks :) $2,224 before tax with g/f's student discount. NYS tax made it $2,421 (out tax sux)

Not bad. Still an Apple markup, but not as bad as I was expecting.

Don't forget that is a discounted price, not MSRP.

Still too damn much. I just ordered an Asus which, granted doesn't have the same specs or the solid-state drive, but it's more than adequate and it cost me $600. For $2,400 you can get a hell of a Windows laptop and have money to spare.

Don't forget that is a discounted price, not MSRP.

Still too damn much. I just ordered an Asus which, granted doesn't have the same specs or the solid-state drive, but it's more than adequate and it cost me $600. For $2,400 you can get a hell of a Windows laptop and have money to spare.

Depends. My Sony was $2800, but it also has a better CPU, twice the SSD's, twice the RAM, and a 1080p screen.

So for 15% more you got nearly twice the computer as the Mac.

So for 15% more you got nearly twice the computer as the Mac.

Not to mention that Sony laptops aren't exactly known as bargain stoppers either.

Not to mention that Sony laptops aren't exactly known as bargain stoppers either.

Indeed, but you can see where the money goes. Build quality, style, etc. are all loads better than my ASUS I got for $600. Plus the thing is light as fuck. Apparently they literally use carbon fiber in places.

Yeah, I wish I had the budget to spend on one of those Vaios. Still, my 700 eur Toshiba does fine, and I don't need more power (i5 460M, 4GB RAM, ATi Radeon HD 5470), just a faster hdd, which I had factored in before buying (Gonna get Seagate Momentus XT), and maybe a bit more RAM.

Just got a new phone - the HTC 7 Trophy.

HTC_Trophy_Windows_Phone_h1.png

Went to the shops to get myself some notebooks, and ended up buying a wireless mouse because I'm an idiot and it was 40% off.
240251.jpg

It's a Logitech LX6, got it for $25 so I'm pleased. And it's my first cordless mouse, so I'm enjoying the freedom of using my computer from far away:p

Indeed, but you can see where the money goes. Build quality, style, etc. are all loads better than my ASUS I got for $600. Plus the thing is light as fuck. Apparently they literally use carbon fiber in places.

Asus does have laptops that are comparable with Sony in spec and price. I've also found their construction to be top-notch and my Asus laptops have lasted longer than any other brand I have tried.

I haven't owned a Sony Vaio mostly because I think they are overpriced for the spec you get, but also because I've known some people with them that had reliability issues. Even my friend who works in tech QA says they tend to see more problems with the Sony laptops for some reason. Another friend who worked at a big retailer for a while advised me to avoid them because they were the most-returned laptop brand they had, even though they sold the fewest units.

I figured for the price it wasn't worth it to take the risk. My first Asus laptop was fantastic and I was very sad when it started having problems after 4 years of being schlepped to school on the back of a motorcycle, tossed around and exposed to dust, vibration and high humidity. My second Asus I didn't like as much simply because it wasn't as small or light and it came with the extended battery pack which made it even larger (it was a free upgrade they didn't mention in the online listing).

The one I just ordered I hope will be more like my first one. It's only slightly larger, very thin, and lightweight; not as light as the Sony, but it's also less than half the price. I'll let you guys know how it is when it arrives.

I've been really happy with Asus as a company, they worked with me for almost a month to try to resurrect my first laptop and I have been really happy with their customer service.

Don't worry. Here it would be $2,735.
I'm sad for you... Stupid taxes!
The picture you posted is the wrong model, that's not the anti-glare screen
I found the anti-glare screen pic but it was an older model :p
I really don't care for glossy screens, but the MacBook Pro is just so much less attractive without the black edge-to-edge bezel. I really wish Apple would've figured out a way to leave the lid design the same on the matte screen.
I'd have to agree with you there, I'm waiting to see it in person but black bezel does make it look more special.
Depends. My Sony was $2800, but it also has a better CPU, twice the SSD's, twice the RAM, and a 1080p screen.
How's the battery life on it? Also what video did you get?
Keep in mind that Apple hardware is really second only to ruggedized PC's in the amount of abuse it can take (my friend has an MBP 17" that has a huge dent in it from being dropped and is still running, I may post a pic in my thread if I remember). The only PC brand that is on par with Apple's build quality is ThinkPad and they don't have the same specs for their laptops. I just priced out a T510 with similar specs (CPU is slightly faster and video has less RAM mostly because I couldn't choose anything else) and their before sale price is $2,239 (out the door is much lower though ~1,600). I don't even see similar hardware from Sony (couldn't find the Z on their site) the only series I found that offers same sized screen doesn't even come close in specs. Also keep in mind that this is something that can run SC2 on Ultra (verified via Blizzard forums) and still give you 7 hours of battery life when web browsing.

I would never argue that MBPs aren't expensive but they are not really that much more than a comparable brand's PC in a very attractive package.

I disagree on the black bezel being prettier, I think the grey one looks a lot classier :) The black bezel looks tacky.

I disagree on the black bezel being prettier, I think the grey one looks a lot classier :) The black bezel looks tacky.

You are young, you will learn :p (Just kidding it's all personal preference)

In all honesty I have to see it in person first so I can compare my g/f's and mine and see which one I prefer. What black bezel does is kind of make the screen look bigger while the grey/silver bezel defines where the screen ends kind of abruptly.

Reactions: h-p
Don't be. We got universal healthcare, but let's leave that to Politics section. ;)

Anyway, back on topic, I got this a few weeks ago:

{Pic Removed}

Now my laptop doesn't have a dvd-burner, but it does have 60GB SSD and 320GB 7200rpm HDD. :)

where did you get that. I'd like to get one for my Dell XPS

How's the battery life on it? Also what video did you get?

Varies, but it's usually between 3 to 7 hours depending on what I'm doing with it.

I had no choice in the matter. It has a NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M but it also has the integrated video built into the Intel i7-640M CPU which it'll use when I want to conserve battery power. Dual video chips. :)