Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Any ideas for a cost-effective upgrade from an Asus EN8800GTS 320mb GFX card? Looking for something with better performance but lower power consumption.

Current specs: E6700, Asus P5WDH-Deluxe mobo (Intel 975x chipset), 6GB DDR2-800 Ram, Antec neo 500W power supply.

Anyone?

What kind of specs can you get for a new PC(everything, including case, minus LCD) for ~800?? I'm not that up to date with the latest tech, last system I built, for a friend was 1 year ago.

Why did I read that as "A shitload of STDs :lol:" first? :blink:

Assuming things cost about as much in Euros there as they do dollars here, 800 will get a pretty decent setup.

Need to adjust for Australian price inflation though.

Even though this video is like the first result on YouTube, I still feel compelled to share with you guys because it's just so awesome.

I wonder how much he paid for it?

So I just installed Windows 7 Service Pack 1 and have been amazed at the results. Before it I had a working sound card yet after it's not working at all. Reinstalling the driver is just too easy according to those lovely people at MS so my lovely expensive new sound card is currently dormant.

Why would you make it neon pink on purpose. Why would you even make that option. My eyes hurt now.

HD 6850 or GTX 460 1GB/768MB. If you game at 1080p I'd go with the 1GB frame buffer. Both cards provide excellent bang for buck while maintaining low power consumption, and you'll see a very tangible difference in performance. Also the E6700 dual core CPU should be able to feed enough data to these video cards without being a bottleneck itself.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/Radeon_HD_6850_Direct_Cu/28.html
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/Radeon_HD_6850_Direct_Cu/26.html

Note: Above links are the review for the ASUS HD 6850, but it does carry performance data for the reference HD 6850 and GTX 460.

Last edited:
So I installed Firefox 4.0 RC just a couple of hours ago and I have to say; it's feeling a lot snappier than 3.6.

VLC's stream saving option, or setting your microphone source as "What you hear"/stereo mix and using any sound recording program.

*massive bump*

Turns out the radio station has started using a Flash player to stream their radio online now so I just lost out on recording a show today, after having used the VLC method succesfully for many weeks. :glare:

I know it might be possible to use some kind of streaming recorder that'll point me to the streaming .asf or .flv and then add it to VLC but that's quite a lot of work...

<_<

Last edited: