So I'm renting an Alfa 159 while I'm out here in Italy for the week...

I really enjoyed the 159 JTD Eunos_Cosmo and I drove in Italy. The engine wasn't so fun, heal and toeing didn't work so well but it handled nicely. I also driving through the Italian landscape certainly contributed too (like Interrobang points out). But my is it an achingly beautiful design.

I don?t think the Alfa would feel that way for you at home. Picture it as a holliday-love ... at home in the traffic jam on the way to work or in the supermarket-car park ... your relationship just wouldn?t be the same like on those italian roads ...

That said ... the 159 is my favorite (non-sports) Car. Sadly they don?t build it with the V6 Petrol anymore :(

I wasn't driving the car on any amazing roads. I was mainly on the autostrade commuting back and forth from my friend's house to work. For those very dull purposes, it proved to be fun regardless. The car felt solid and it was just an all-around pleasure to drive. Plus it had many subtle features that I thought we're very nice.

The current Alfa MiTo count in my university is 5, of which one's red, one's yellow and the rest are white (no other alfas). I can't really make myself love these things, knowing that they're essentially Puntos underneath. Also, I've seen several Giuliettas so far and they don't float my boat either ):

That said, the Brera and the Spider are really awesome-looking, so it evens out

This. The MiTo and the Guiletta are really goppy looking at the front, like they've just been goosed. If Audi can essentially bolt the same face onto all of its cars I fail to see why Alfa didn't carry the look of the 159 onto the smaller cars in a modified way.

I'm hoping the bigger RWD Alfas coming up will look better than the small ones. A lot of the 8C's cues were compromised by shrinking them.

I'm really amused by how much the 159 looks like my car.

alfa-romeo-159-j4-2-_460x0w.jpg

63329_791330699863_9200715_42348389_2044621_n.jpg

Alfa-Romeo-159-dash1.jpg

62717_791575833613_9200715_42353948_1937168_n.jpg

Gorgeous car, though. Someone at Mitsu must've been a fan!

The interior comparison is perhaps a little farfetched after all...

The interior comparison is perhaps a little farfetched after all...

Yeah. Mine's more plasticky and has a lot of things different, but they've both got two big circles (...eyeballs?) photobombing the steering wheel with a little screen for stuff in the middle.

Two big, hollow eyeballs.

Lurking.

Watching you.

o_O

Maybe if u look at the lancer gts as a 159 wannabe, then yes they have similar appearances :p
Tee hee, I'm more than fine with that. The 159 is gorgeous.

I really wish they'd have copied the ride height, though. The Lancer's always looked a little...up in the air. The Alfa's got it right.

Tee hee, I'm more than fine with that. The 159 is gorgeous.

I really wish they'd have copied the ride height, though. The Lancer's always looked a little...up in the air. The Alfa's got it right.

Agreed +10 points!

Am I the only one on this board who has driven an Alfa before and thinks the car is mediocre at best??

I enjoy the overall design and especially the interior, but the driving experience has always left me a bit disappointed.

They are FWD after all...

That will change, they will be moving to a Chrysler RWD platform for the bigger cars.

Am I the only one on this board who has driven an Alfa before and thinks the car is mediocre at best??

I enjoy the overall design and especially the interior, but the driving experience has always left me a bit disappointed.

i know several people who drive an alfa, and they all had other cars before, but they all agree that no car holds the road so well as an alfa...
(but no personal experience)

i know several people who drive an alfa, and they all had other cars before, but they all agree that no car holds the road so well as an alfa...
(but no personal experience)

This. I can agree on that. I had the luck of driving a variety of cars the last couple of years. My GF owns a Alfa Romeo 147 1.9jtd and is just an amazing little thing.
I have to point out it is the one with all the extra's (sport seats, sport suspension etc...). But the way it asks to be driven fast... I never had that in a car before, except in the mini cooper S. And they managed even to let it sound not bad for a diesel. Another plus is the build quality, I've always been told that alfas rust while you watch them, but my GF's 147 is 9 years old, has done 120k km and is used for taking two little children to school and back, of course you see some traces of that but there is nothing that malfunctions or squeeks or whatsoever.