Ownership Verified: A4.3 - Codename Saudi

IceBone

Blue Wheel Hipster
Car(s)
Audi A5 Quattro
Before anyone asks, no, I did not total this one, it's being sold in perfect working condition.

Meanwhile...

The reason for me getting it is because it's been brought to my attention that as soon as a car hits 15 years old, its resell value will plummet even more than usually so I thought it'd be the perfect time to upgrade before it starts burning a hole in my wallet. And considering I really love the entire Audi package, I've made up my mind a long time ago to stick with the brand and after crunching some numbers we came to the conclusion that the next generation A4 would be perfect. I've been scouring the local car reseller websites and visiting prospective cars until I came across this one.

https://pic.armedcats.net/i/ic/icebone/2011/03/04/_ICE0315.jpg

https://pic.armedcats.net/i/ic/icebone/2011/03/04/_ICE0317.jpg

https://pic.armedcats.net/i/ic/icebone/2011/03/04/_ICE0316.jpg

It's a 2004 1.9 tdi 6 speed with 173k on the clock and as soon as I took a ride in it I HAD to have it. Everything looks in (or nearly as much) perfect condition, the ride is softer than both my ex (lowered) and dad's next gen A6 and it's a dream to drive. The wheel, shifter and handbrake lever are leather, showing almost no sign of wear. Although missing the advanced MMI, it at least has the good trip computer with controls on the right stalk and cruise control, which made driving home from the town where I bought it (200kms away) a lot easier than it would be without.

The engine seems in very good health. No odd sounds, pulls like a beast once the turbo kicks in on the 99.7% highway drive back home with the cruise control set to 140 km/h, one spirited run to 180 km/h (after which it just kept on accelerating) and with quite a bit of adjustments needed due to heavy lorry traffic, I managed a 5.2 l/100km (54 UK mpg, 45 US mpg). According to the computer I can still do 970 kms on the tank. :blink:

Highway noise is almost negligable, massive improvement over the previous generation, there's literally no squeaks and rattles anywhere, but even if there were, I wouldn't be able to hear them, since the sound system had no problems dealing with Hybrid - Disappear Here at max volume. :mrgreen: I'll be migrating my old radio, since it'll fit better visually (the stock Audi Concert CD radio is MIA) and selling this one (which actually plays DVDs on a tiny tiny screen in eye-strain-o-vision) with the old.

Sometime next week I'll be paying a visit to the tyre shop where my old tyres are kept and put the 16" OZ wheels on (these are stock Audi 15") along with maybe some spacers to put the wheels flush with the body work.

Oh, and since this is a German car sold in Slovenia, the instructions are naturally... French.

WAT.

More pics tomorrow. Gotta work now...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yay for the 1.9TDI! Enjoy the economy. Can we get some shots of the interior? It looks interesting.

Audis are always so clean in their design. I'm glad to hear that the interior has held up well- the ones down here seem to lose the "soft-touch" material due to excessive fingernail length :p

Yeah, there's a bit of that, and a bit more on the light switch, that's a ?90 part, will be replaced in the near future. The red seat covers are out already, but I don't think it was a good idea, since I worked up quite a sweat and it was getting quite cold and windy and now I have a massive headache... >_<

Non Quattro again? I will have to hurt you! When (not if) your speakers start to pop and randomly cut out you gonna need to clean the connectors that is a known problem on the A4 of this gen. Nice fuel economy I get something like 25US MPG but I have a Uranium foot :p

Looks like you have a new deery.

Yeah, there were no quattros for under 10k euro... This one was 8500, a steal basically. It's got good suspension and extra sensory perception so I'll be ok for now.

As I said before in IRC, nice car! Welcome to the diesel club of FinalGear, we're a sensible and economic bunch. I do hope that your bord-computer is more accurate than mine, since 5.2 in mine would mean an actual consumption closer to 6.5.

Well, dad's was quite off and he had it adjusted, I hope mine can be. I recorded the kms and how much I fueled up, we'll see how much it's off next time I top it off.

Yeah, there were no quattros for under 10k euro... This one was 8500, a steal basically. It's got good suspension and extra sensory perception so I'll be ok for now.

That's a nice price! I doubt you will notice much difference in daily driving :)

Nice one. If you put the stupid singleframe grill on like some ricers over here do I will pee into your cabin air intake. I am serious.
And think about painting the lower rear bumper, it makes a huge improvement, looks-wise!

As well, don't crash it.

Would have to paint all the lighter grey matte black plastic bits to look ok. Just the rear bumper would be odd. And no, I won't be doing the single grille, I'm not THAT chavvy. :p

Love that A4 generation, especially the rear with its clean design. And that engine is great. Congratz on the new ride.

Definitely better than the A6, which were all fugly until the ones with the trapezoid grille started. Anyway, just swapped out the radio from the old one, so the bloody "Scott" eye sore is in the '97 now. The Pioneer sounds nicer too I noticed.

Superb, diesel and black both suit the car well. 54MPG equivalent is impressive too.