Ownership Verified: A4.3 - Codename Saudi

Congo rats!

I've always liked the A4. The new ones are especially nice, I keep mistaking them for R/S4's.

Looks nice and clean and with the OZ rims, way better

This looks like it could actually make it to the Ring! Congrats!

VAG 1.9TDi PD engine with (130bhp? or do the Audis get a more powerful version like 150bhp?) 6 spd manual box = great recipe. Its a clattery old tractor of an engine, but it pulls like mule on crack and is pretty much bomb proof (ruined when they had to move to 2.0 and 16v for emissions reasons). Had this engine in my old superb with a 5 spd box and managed 50mpg (real, as in worked out with a calculator not the trip computer, you wanna take about 4-5 off the trips value) over a full tank, tank after tank. Nice step up from non turbo 1.8's. Enjoy it.

I might. But it's pricy. 600 euro for 30 bottles of hp sauce and 70 torx bits.

I'm taking it down to the dealer next week to see if the light switch can be rigged to turn turn on the lights automatically when contact is made and off again when you take the key out. I'll ask how much they can get the chip for.

I'm sure it can be done much cheaper.

when chipping it pays to gowith the pro dudes. I'd rather not skimp out on a few hundred only to cause a couple grand of engine damage because it blew my engine. The cheap chips merely raise the amount of fuel that gets injected by X amount, unlike a proper remap.

I might. But it's pricy. 600 euro for 30 bottles of hp sauce and 70 torx bits.

You'd notice those extra torx bits, and if you are planning on keeping it for a few years you'll add a hell of a lot of smiles per mile. Four euros a week over three years? Cut down on the beer, save the money, add the power/torque, lose weight from reduced beer consumption, car goes even faster and uses less fuel.......profit. :D

And may I add my congrats on the purchase.

I'm taking it down to the dealer next week to see if the light switch can be rigged to turn turn on the lights automatically when contact is made and off again when you take the key out. I'll ask how much they can get the chip for.

For the B6, there should be a DRL switch addon available:

http://cgi.ebay.de/Audi-A4-B6-B7-8H-Tagfahrlicht-schalter-8E1-919-094-C-/290540239378

Don't ask me how it is wired though.

Oh and Audi will make you bend over and squeal like a piggy to enable it.

Speaking of tuning:

This guy (DannyR) was the "Forum tuner" from the Ibiza forum (who run 1.9TDIs and 1.8Ts normally) and had a really good reputation (two friends of mine run his work, no worries since ~80.000km each):

http://www.chipping.de/shop/audi-1/a4__b6_-17/1_9_tdi_96kw-13

Power up, consumption down :)

Last edited by a moderator:
VAG 1.9TDi PD engine with (130bhp? or do the Audis get a more powerful version like 150bhp?) 6 spd manual box = great recipe. Its a clattery old tractor of an engine, but it pulls like mule on crack and is pretty much bomb proof (ruined when they had to move to 2.0 and 16v for emissions reasons).

So true, had the same one in a Passat. God I loved that car! :(

Congrats Ice, looks nice, give more pics ;)

Pft, even on my 2001 Merc, it was merely toggling the right option in the lighting menu of my bordcomputer.

Well yes, but on the "older" VAG cars, this is a dumbswitch, not connected to any onboard computers :)

For the B6, there should be a DRL switch addon available:

http://cgi.ebay.de/Audi-A4-B6-B7-8H-Tagfahrlicht-schalter-8E1-919-094-C-/290540239378

Don't ask me how it is wired though.

Oh and Audi will make you bend over and squeal like a piggy to enable it.

On my dad's 2005 A6 (which has an auto option on the light switch, mine doesn't), it was only a question of hooking up a computer and changing some values.

Speaking of tuning:

This guy (DannyR) was the "Forum tuner" from the Ibiza forum (who run 1.9TDIs and 1.8Ts normally) and had a really good reputation (two friends of mine run his work, no worries since ~80.000km each):

http://www.chipping.de/shop/audi-1/a4__b6_-17/1_9_tdi_96kw-13

Power up, consumption down :)

That sounds a lot better, does he ship internationally?

Pft, even on my 2001 Merc, it was merely toggling the right option in the lighting menu of my bordcomputer.

Yeah, Audi don't have that option exposed (I turned it on on my mum's A class too).