Repaint Car - What Colour?

• Royal Blue

Votes: 23 46.9%
  • Rescue Orange

Votes: 19 38.8%
  • Yellow

Votes: 7 14.3%

• Total voters
In that case why not cost up the full, proper respray, add it to your current car's estimated value and see what newer one you could get for that money before doing anything else?

Well, a respray would be around $3000 for a professional. And I doubt I could sell my car for $3000 more. Is that what you're saying?

he's saying if it's $3000 for a spray, and your car is worth $2000, see what car you can buy for $5000....

Cars are money pits, not investments. Take a bus if you want to save money. Spend it for a nice looking car.

Just called the marine shop and International (Interlux) Brightside isn't sold anymore, they've replaced it with Toplac. Says it gives better finish and gloss.

No matter what I do, there is a current market value for the cars. So even if I give it a $5000 paint job, I could only sell it at $8000. I would be making a $5000 loss. I'm looking to keep this car, anyway.

Here's the new swatch for Toplac, there's some new options available for me

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
I mean if you MUST re-paint it donegal green with a yellow lateral stripe is the only proper answer. Thats if the sills, floor, and engine bay will be painted.

Dont worry about recovering money on a 21 year old car. Just make it nice and enjoy it.

I've thought about it hard, and looked at many MX5 pictures, and decided to just keep it white. However, because I need to buy the white paint anyway for the panels, would it be wise to strip the crappy white paint off and put on a good layer of white?

Of course... You could just scuff up the paint and primer over it i suppose, but why not go the extra mile and do it right?

Good choice by the way, now swap in a 1.8 and our cars are twins...

Last edited:
I like that Norfolk Green myself, but if you're happy with the white, keep the white.

I'm happy with white, but don't get me wrong, I still want to repaint the car and experiment with the colours. However, I know that if I want to repaint it, given my perfectionist personality, I'll need to do the engine bay, and I know I won't do a good job because the engine is in there.

^take it out? it's only held in place by bolts...

Yeah, I know it's only held by bolts, but, then I'd have to clean out the bay and I don't have the equipment for taking the engine out. Maybe in the future when I'm itchy again.

That's a pretty good call actually!

Funny how different models can take a colour. The bright yellow in this poll looks great on an NA MX5 but I recently saw an NB in the same colour and it looked :barf:

I was hardly surprised when I saw the two chaps who were getting into it - I think I can say with confidence that they both rode the lilac bus!