Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Wagon? if so, pounce.

The 240s do look a lot better IMO also.

What sort of mods would you plan on doing to it?

Does anyone know why the early Ferrari 360s didn't have the yellow "S.F" shields on their front fenders like almost all Ferraris do?

800px-Ferrari_in_Marbella_2004.jpg

I just got a 1:18th scale diecast model of it and was worried that it was a manufacturing mistake that they forgot to put the shields on or something. :dunno:

Edit: That 360's owner should have his balls punched (or bitch-slapped if it's a woman) for parking it on the curb like that! :x

Last edited:
The 240s do look a lot better IMO also.

What sort of mods would you plan on doing to it?

I've never had a turbo before so there would have to be a lot of research before changing anything. But I was thinking along the lines of exhaust, intake, bigger intercooler piping, injectors and maybe a cam. Not all at once of course, but I've never owned a vehicle that is even remotely quick and I've got access to a shop and all the tools I'd need with school, not to mention a healthy discount at the autoparts stores, so I'm thinking it could make for a fun project

Sounds Good.

I've done a bit of research into turbos, but I'm still pretty unclear on anything but the basics. I'd like to one day build up a Omni GLH. (I've had my eye on one that lives out in the open parking lot at 13th and londsdale. Everytime I walk by there I go take a look to see whether I can bump into the owner. :p

Been talking with a friend about buying a classic Mini some time after this summer and try "restoring" it. We're both pretty novice at that sort of thing (we've been tinkering with scooters before, but nothing major), and we realize that it'd almost certainly be much, much more work than we could ever imagine :p And we'd have to find something in decent condition to begin with.

Completely stupid or plausible? :p

Look in your pm box.

Watch this without thinking about Transformers.

[video=youtube;Fll2sWA-iwA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fll2sWA-iwA[/video]

Sounds Good.

I've done a bit of research into turbos, but I'm still pretty unclear on anything but the basics. I'd like to one day build up a Omni GLH. (I've had my eye on one that lives out in the open parking lot at 13th and londsdale. Everytime I walk by there I go take a look to see whether I can bump into the owner. :p

Bah, supercharger with hood cut out is the only way to go.

Not hard as I haven't watched either (I swore to never see another Bay movies after Pearl Harbor).

Last edited:
In discussing the price of fuel on Facebook with someone from California someone made this comment:
California has gas that is cleaner than the rest of the nation. The prices reflect that cleaner gas and higher demand.
:stupid:

Also, I really want this 1981 Mercedes 300CD for $9,500. Nice price or crack pipe? Consider the fact it only has 87K on the clock and looks like this. :drool:

[video=youtube;Fll2sWA-iwA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fll2sWA-iwA[/video]

I was thinking, given VW's history of faildesign and failbuildquality convertible tops, about the poor bastard that might be getting a folding metal roof and/or bootlid in the face when the wind rips it right off the car. Not Transformers.

Also, I really want this 1981 Mercedes 300CD for $9,500. Nice price or crack pipe? Consider the fact it only has 87K on the clock and looks like this. :drool:

You can find them occasionally for half the price in the same condition and general mileage in Texas. Therefore - crack pipe.

Last edited:
I was thinking, given VW's history of faildesign and failbuildquality convertible tops, about the poor bastard that might be getting a folding metal roof and/or bootlid in the face when the wind rips it right off the car. Not Transformers.

Not a standard option. Some electronic added witchcraft, which might not be the best idea... looks kinda cool though.

In discussing the price of fuel on Facebook with someone from California someone made this comment:
:stupid:

*cough*link*cough*

But still...:p

I used to live in a 5-county area in Wisconsin that was constantly used as a test-bed for fuel additives and various recipes. It royally sucked because our gas was always more expensive, and it was MURDER on small engines!! We would drive to another county to get fuel for our lawnmower and snowblower.

Good car, but as Spectre said, way to much. You should spend $5k max on a rust free, good condition car that has working A/C. Also, the later the car the better- the transmission in those cars isn't the best and they still didn't perfect it by the time they stopped making the W123 in '85. You'll get slips and engagement issues on cars with bad vacuum leaks. Bad vacuum is a nightmare to replace all the hoses. Look on peachparts.com's "For Sale" forum for some good cars and some good advice.

No what is going to happen is one day without warning they will go to put the top up and hear WERWERWERWER and nothing happens and then spend the next half hour crawing around in the trunk and and under the flaps trying to find all the motor releases to try and put it up manually. That is of course, if there is such a thing. It was enough of a bitch to do that with my cloth top that it's probably impossible to pull a metal one back up.
Speaking of, does anyone know what that particular repair costs to fix? I haven't bothered to check because I have a feeling they are going to give me a quote in 4 digits.

A quick search says $780 for this one, but I didn't dig into it any further.

EDIT: that's the whole top, idk if it would be more economical to replace the motor. Probably would.

EDIT: I should learn to compose posts first, post them later. Here's a used motor for $100, if you want to install it yourself.

Last edited:
It's just the motor that died, I can put the top up and down if I am stubborn enough and don't plan to go over 40 (or it fills up with air with no motors holding it down) but there is also the matter of labor and it is apparently an incredibly complicated clusterfuck set up so I expect that to also be a very large number and probably most not dealer mechanics wouldn't want to do it.

Are you sure the motor even actually died? It could just be a wiring gremlin. I mean, it is a VW.