Random Thoughts....

Thanks to the long weekend coming up the roads are, once again, clogged with idiots in the fast lane doing 20km/hr below the speed limit whilst towing their big-ass caravn with a pathetic 4-cylinder hatchback.

Both CNN and FOX News are reporting the quake had a magnitude of 8.8 and a variety of tsunami watches/warnings have been issued.

Damn. Just damn. :(

ETA: now it's being reported as 8.9.

Last edited:
Tsunamis as high as 10 meters have been reported all along the Japanese coast, and there are significant fires in Tokyo.

NHK (evidently) showing five different Japanese refineries (not sure if they mean actual refineries, or just five fires in a big facility, or what) on fire near natural gas storage tanks per an acquaintance in Tokyo who is safe (for the moment). This could get really, really ugly really fast, folks.

Edit: Uh, has anyone heard from our Japan-based members lately?

Last edited:
On track to be at least the 4th largest recorded earthquake in terms of magnitude. Simply devastating. My thoughts go out to anyone in affected areas right now.

The footage of the tsunami racing across the countryside is truly shocking. :eek:

2ntcznr.jpg

If you are a Pacific Rim member, and you're anywhere near the ocean, now might be a very good time to consider moving to higher ground.

ttvulhvpd9-01.jpg

Should be getting word in soon on the 3-hours-out DART buoys as to just how big this thing is.

Last edited:
First deepwater DART buoy has reported in.

MEASUREMENTS OR REPORTS OF TSUNAMI WAVE ACTIVITY

GAUGE LOCATION LAT LON TIME AMPL PER
-????????? -?? ??? -?? -??????? -??
DART 21418 38.7N 148.7E 0619Z 1.08M / 3.5FT 06MIN

LAT - LATITUDE (N-NORTH, S-SOUTH)
LON - LONGITUDE (E-EAST, W-WEST)
TIME - TIME OF THE MEASUREMENT (Z IS UTC IS GREENWICH TIME)
AMPL - TSUNAMI AMPLITUDE MEASURED RELATIVE TO NORMAL SEA LEVEL.
IT IS ...NOT... CREST-TO-TROUGH WAVE HEIGHT.
VALUES ARE GIVEN IN BOTH METERS(M) AND FEET(FT).
PER - PERIOD OF TIME IN MINUTES(MIN) FROM ONE WAVE TO THE NEXT.

NOTE - DART MEASUREMENTS ARE FROM THE DEEP OCEAN AND THEY
ARE GENERALLY MUCH SMALLER THAN WOULD BE COASTAL
MEASUREMENTS AT SIMILAR LOCATIONS.

Usually tsunamis are all but unnoticeable on the ocean... this is a ~1 meter wave, quite noticeable especially on the Pacific. This probably isn't going to be good.

Live feed: http://www.justin.tv/hoctoggle?#/w/953737536

Edit 2: My acquaintance is moving his emergency kit outdoors, says aftershocks are continuing and he is questioning the remaining structural integrity of his building, which is apparently at some elevation.

o0cx20.jpg

2qd3p7n.jpg

Last edited:
Fukushima is reported to have been hit by a nearly 8 meter wave. This picture is of Sendai, where a 4 meter wave hit.

Screen+shot+2011-03-11+at+2_05_06+AM.png

This is a refinery that's on fire in Chiba prefecture, Ichihara City.

Screen+shot+2011-03-11+at+2_13_03+AM.png

Aftershocks ongoing.

Edit: Guam is now under mandatory evac orders. Warnings out for Indonesia, Australia and other Pacific Rim countries. Fatality counts starting to come in.

I am waiting for the 3 hours out DART buoy. Yes, my parents live close to the coast in CA.

Last edited:
Those shots of the ships that have been thrown up onto the shore are very scary looking. That wave must have been massively powerful.

Well, put it to you this way. The compression wave from the earthquake (what causes the tsunami, in simplistic terms) is just this side of subsonic - travels at about 550mph.... and will still be travelling at about that speed when it gets to Hawaii, and until it hits shallower water.

That is an enormous amount of energy.

Last edited:
What i found telling is that one of the main angles the press seems to see in their Tsunami coverage is "what will it do to the stock market".

What i found telling is that one of the main angles the press seems to see in their Tsunami coverage is "what will it do to the stock market".

<_<

*facepalm @ the press*

All the major news channels on TV this morning were carrying images of this. The only pictures I dared see were of a half-submerged runway and airport terminal and with people on the roof.

I loathe this kind of event... it's just so horrible. You never want it to happen to anyone... but it happens.

Last edited: