Fun, reliable, economical, practical [aka: not a Miata] car for <$4500

Eunos_Cosmo

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'84 Mazda RX7, '12 Mazda 2, '99 Porsche Boxster
Title is fairly concise. My car is returning around 11mpg lately(probably a dodgy injector) Need a daily driver. Leaning towards EK hatch, but most are omFFFGJDMZzzed. Has to be able to carry a 42"x36" drawing board.

VW Caddy? (AKA Rabbit Pickup)

Civic is pretty par for the course here.

A Civic Hatch would be cool though. Maybe you could find one that wasn't too badly modified. I was never bothered by the JDM stuff, it's mostly the shoddy polyurethane bodykits that don't fit properly and owners drilling holes and welding crap onto the cars that bothers me. Swapping out shocks/springs and wheels is no big deal. Either way though, it would be smart to have the car checked by a shop to make sure it's not a complete mess mechanically, regardless of any performances modifications.

I'm sure Spectre will be here shortly posting some clean Texan Jaaaaaaaags. :p

Its more like the backyard motor swaps that make me uneasy about civics....

Seriously, who has the time or interest to do a motor swap on a Civic?

edit: more than that, if you do find such an example, why the hell should you buy it? :D

if you do some digging i bet you could find an EG or EF hatch for < 3K maybe even an Si. Additionally SE-R classics and Protege MP3s should be in the price range as well

IIRC Jag XJs don't have folding rear seats so you'd be hard pressed to get a 42x36 board in there. Agree with the Mazda suggestions, and if you can find a good condition Toyota Corolla FX hatchback from the 80s, that's also an option, if a bit old.

I'm not to keen on early 00' VW's. They seem to be made out of crayons.

I know EK's are often driven by old people who have no idea that their cars are actually coveted. I just need to find one of these yabo's and get to them!

I like E30's, but they are getting a bit olllllld.

Last edited:
I'd go with a civic as well, anything from EF to EK. Funny enough the base trim was called STD at some point. How well did they sell?

STD is the universally accepted acronym for Standard, so it's just your dirty mind. :p

Seriously, who has the time or interest to do a motor swap on a Civic?

edit: more than that, if you do find such an example, why the hell should you buy it? :D
Look up Andy Hollis. Then look up "Andy Hollis One Lap" (without the quotes). I'll wait.

I shared track space with his K20A-swapped Civic. It was ridiculously fast.

Miata + tow hitch + trailer = /thread

:p